MAC's doing a pretty good job..........

roxybc

Of keeping pics of the new collections hidden away. We used to see pics months in advance, and now the Nocturnelle and Formal Black collections are only 3 weeks away, and still not really any pics. Well besides a few palette pics from foreign magazines that don't really show the true colors................

Anyone got any secret links to pics???????????
weeping.gif

bellaetoile

estee lauder and it's subsidiaries have been cracking down on taking legal action regarding illegal, advance, and unauthorized distribution of it's lines. this may be part of the reason there haven't been many pictures. i agree, it's odd, usually we see collections at least a few weeks in advance.

mjalomo

Too bad they cracked down. I usually skip work just to shop the holiday collections because I see them online & covet them. The more I see them, the more I want to buy them. This year though, I don't hink I will. I just can't bring myself to want something I haven't seen.

glittergoddess27

Well considering I was at Walgreens a couple weeks ago and even Sally Hansen has put out a foundation "mist" they call Airbrush look foundation or something like that you spray in your hand and apply,... So I can kinda understand their point of view,.. but really if the quality of their version can blow the others away why do they worry? They just now came out with a lip plumper that everyone else has but I didnt see them having any problems selling out of those.

roxybc

Quote:
Originally Posted by glittergoddess27
Well considering I was at Walgreens a couple weeks ago and even Sally Hansen has put out a foundation "mist" they call Airbrush look foundation or something like that you spray in your hand and apply.

I've used it before, it's acutally pretty good. It's been out for a few years now too. MAC is kinda slow to introduce theirs, Sally Hansen was one of the first companies to do it (along with their Air Brushed Legs line) and I think Dior and Chanel have also released an air brush product.

I go to school where there isn't a MAC counter, so I rely on Specktra for the product pictures so I can call the counter and order hundreds of dollars worh of stuff!!!

Shawna

I haven't bought a single MAC product since June. Yup, that is correct. June. I know it is because I don't have the product pictures to get worked up about. Normally I see them months in advance and plan for purchases, but since they cracked down, I'm just like "meh" I don't need it. I think they are going to find that they lose sales because of the crackdown. I know there are several Specktra members that rely on the pictures and descriptions to order stuff off the website.

divaster

I totally agree. It is no fun to not be able to drool over the new items, plan out what I want and then countdown the days until I can buy them!

bellaetoile

the sally hansen mist has been out for awhile now, a year or two, i think. so if anything, mac was using their idea. but i do understand what you're saying. in the world of beauty, it seems like everyone steals ideas from one another.

lah_knee

believe me mac isnt losing enough sales because of this though... the majority of mac shoppers are not fanatics like us. most of them are just average people with basic if not less than basic makeup knowledge. many of them dont know the names by heart... dont know whats coming out in the weeks to come... and dont know whats LE and what that even means lol but we can still manage to sell through product like hot cakes lol through demo-ing items and upselling and suggesting, its pretty easy to make a 25 dollar sale into a 45 or even 100...

we do get our customers that come in to buy the new stuff but not very often at ALL. even our loyal customers who buy tons of everything, dont come in the day it launches to buy it all. the people i work with dont even know that mac fanatics like everyone here exist! but yes i think the main reason they dont want it circulating is because they dont want other companies seeing their new products and ideas and colors. not cuz they dont want us fans to see it
smiles.gif

princess

Most of those pictures suck anyway, they are always quite different from the real thing. But they give us an idea of what they look like so we can plan ahead.
tong.gif

But I have to agree they are really keeping those pictures well under tabs, and cause of the lack of pictures, it doesn't make me that excited about the upcoming collections anymore.

bruinshorty

If I didn't live around the corner (literally) from a MAC counter, I'd probably be upset. I do prefer going to look at the products in person and test them out before I buy, but I also like knowing WHAT I'm going to be looking at. NocturnElle is the first collection I haven't seen ANY pics of (minus that magazine scan of the pigment), so maybe it'll be a nice surprise when I get to the counter.

Hey, if anything, the lack of pictures will prevent us from being totally let down when we see the products in person and realize they're nothing like the promo pics
winks.gif

csuthetaphi

I understand why MAC is keeping the information so secret before its released, but I admit, it is making me sad. I used to look at all the pics on Specktra and plan out exactly what I was going to get, and it was easier for me to budget everything. I used to have it all planned out right before the release, and sometimes send my husband to get the stuff if I was at work! Oh well!!! Somehow I think I will manage!
th_wink3.gif

Turbokittykat

I'm glad MAC have done this because it's saving me a ton of money. I've hardly bought any makeup in months and it's because I am not seeing the photos months in advance and having time to let the hype build. I see the products when they come out, if I can even be bothered to go and look, and without the hype I can see them more easily for what they are. There have been very few things I've really wanted for some time now.

This is a good thing because I am utterly fed up with MAC and the way EL are running it and am about to begin what I expect to be a long-term MAC no-buy. If there's something I absolutely must have I'll buy it here, on LJ or on eBay so MAC don't make any extra cash out of me. I refuse to support a company that treats customers and staff like total c**p on a far too regular basis.