Macys Vent! (Long)

scorplove

I know I'm new to this site, but after lurking here for awhile this is the only place I can vent about my "troubles" and people would understand what I'm going through. Let me preface to say THAT I TRULY HATE MACYS.
angry.gif

I've been working for Macys since December of last year. I'm still on a ninety-day probation, but have given my two weeks notice already. The cosmetics counter that I work at MAKES NO MONEY!! The customers are working class and live on a budget. They only buy what they NEED and no more. It's not a huge Macys and the only lines that do well without having to "pull" customers are Estee Lauder, Lancome, and Clinique.

I work for Prescriptives. I wasn't going to say the name at first, but oh what da hell. I wanted to work for Px, because I thought it had a huge following and it wouldn't be a problem making goals or getting clients. Unfortunately for ME, I'm working in a location where people don't have any money to drop. Sometimes, I'll get them in the chair and they'll buy maybe two eyeshadows, but most of the time they want a sample foundation.

Even though I was trained in professional makeup artistry some years ago, I never took it to full time level, because I needed to support myself with an office job. Due to relocating to a new city and not being able to find office work, I decided to get a job doing what I love to do - Makeup. I got hired within the week. Yes, they told me the Px counter was challenging, but I didn't believe it was THIS challenging. Another thing is that my CM never trained me or taught me about "sanitation" issues for the counter. EVERYTHING I know about "sanitation" I learned from reading on SPECKTRA. Isn't that awful?

We had a major event recently and due to lack of communication, I had no idea what I was supposed to be doing. So, on the second day of the event my AE chews me out saying that during an event "there is always something to do (i.e., assisting the mau, cleaning, etc.)". It wasn't what he said, but HOW he said it that got me angry. I told him that I didn't know what to do at this event, because I wasn't briefed by the CM (who is very young by the way). I also told him that I never really know what's going on at my counter, because I never get any feedback, unless I ask a question. He basically told me that I was making "excuses" and then recounted the story of how he first started with the line and nobody helped him. Instead of "bitching" about it, he would stay late reading up on materials and being the best seller at the counter. Okay fine. Just because those women treated you like garbage oh so many years ago, does it make it right? Shouldn't you be making sure your counters are getting the "best" help and training they can to make their goals?

After his so-called "pep" talk I made it my business to learn what I could about the line, but realized I didn't want to stay with a non-supportive AE. You rarely see him anyway. Also, I would call up my girlfriend who freelances with Px on what was happening and she was SHOCKED by the lack of training I was getting and would school me on what I needed to know. Thank God for her! Now let me tell you about Macys.

Besides being stressed at my counter, Macys is stressing me out even MORE by harassing me to open up those damn store cards!
angry.gif
I've only opened up four or five since I've been there. I had a meeting with my CM and DM who told me that since I'm still on probation I need to open up more (at least 1 to 3 a week). The problem is EVERYBODY AND THEIR MOTHER HAS ONE. I was basically told that if fragrances can open (or try to open) ten or so a week, then I should be able to get one. For one, this is a NEIGHBORHOOD Macys and most of the people already have a card. Secondly, Fragrances is HUGE! You're bound to get all types coming in to get a fragance for someone. Lastly, I'm not getting paid enough for this *ish!!

So between my counter not making its goals (and the AE insinuating it's my fault) and hearing this b.s. about the Macys cards, I handed in my notice. It was such a relief. I have no job prospects, but I don't care. Retail should NOT be this stressful. I could understand if I was getting some major money, but I'm just a couple of dollars or so from minimum wage and gettting $300 a week. SO NOT WORTH IT!

What have I learned?

1) Never too work for a small line that does NOT advertise, 2) Never too work for a low end store and 3) Commission is not everything. Yes, I would like to make a good commission if possible, but I'm also willing to work for a good hourly wage/no commission.

I'm going to fill out some applications today at some high end stores that are hiring. Hopefully, I'll get with a really great line like Chanel or something.

That's my vent and thank you for listening.
yes.gif

pumpkincat210

I'm sorry it didn't work out well. I know that working in retail can be so frustrating and the managers are often jerks! It's difficult to pull new customers over without being pushy.
I also agree that it is really hard to get people to open up new lines of credit, especially in a bad economy. Most people get denied anyway now.
It is so hard right now to work for commission in almost any job. Helllllooooo billllls! It's not like it used to be and you end up working for less than minimum wage. You did the right thing be resigning. They'll eventually figure it out that if they want to a lower turnover rate some things are going to have to change starting with the management and the way you are paid. If they don't they'll definitely go out of business.

mintcollective1

yikes. one of my best friends works at chanel inside a macy's, though she has different situations happen, she feels the same as you do. Girl, happiness counts, get out of there.

weezee

I'm sorry you have had such a bad experience at Macy's. I hope you are able to get a job at a counter you really want and get the training you need to do your job. Good luck!

scorplove

Quote:
Originally Posted by pumpkincat210
I'm sorry it didn't work out well. I know that working in retail can be so frustrating and the managers are often jerks! It's difficult to pull new customers over without being pushy.
I also agree that it is really hard to get people to open up new lines of credit, especially in a bad economy. Most people get denied anyway now.
It is so hard right now to work for commission in almost any job. Helllllooooo billllls! It's not like it used to be and you end up working for less than minimum wage. You did the right thing be resigning. They'll eventually figure it out that if they want to a lower turnover rate some things are going to have to change starting with the management and the way you are paid. If they don't they'll definitely go out of business.

You know pumpkincat, I don't care about the commission. In order to make a decent commission you need to work in a location and store where RICH people go. These are the people that will not ask "How much is this?" They'll just say give me two or three of those. Another thing is that a counter at a high end store will MAKE IT THEIR BUSINESS TO TRAIN YOU PROPERLY, because of the type of clientele they have.

I won't be working for Nordstroms. Their return policy is ridiculous and there are too many customers "perpetrating" to be high end. They'll buy something they know they can't really afford or with the attention of returning after they use it for whatever reason. I'm still trying to figure out how Nordies does it. I have a friend that worked in handbags. She said that for Mother's Day she racked up $30,000 in sales and made a nice commission. Over the next month or so, many of those people returned those bags at other Nordies. Needless to say she was pissed. Also, Nordies pays every two weeks. She said she was always on "E" as far as money. I can't live like that.

As far as Macys goes, I was thinking about transferring to another Macys store, but changed my mine. It would still be the same crap. I had to resign before they fired me, because I was still at probationary status and because Federated also owns Bloomingdales (high-end), I wanted to have the option of working there one day. I heard they don't push the card there.

Sigh, let me got off this computer and make my way to the stores I have to go to today, so that I can report back my experience to you guys!
tong.gif
Hopefully, it will go well.

Simply Elegant

Sorry that happened to you. Better to leave while you can and stop wasting time being unhappy.

Good luck on your job search.
smiles.gif

baybehbekah

i have to say i am currently in the same situation. i am the business manager for smashbox at a nordstrom. the nice thing about nordstrom is that you get paid a decent base salary and then a 3% commission, which in my case is nice because we have inter-sell. I believe macy's has inter-sell but i am not sure. anyhoo, i really do love the smashbox brand. it isn't a mac but it definitely has some nice products and i use alot of them for my work on the side. i am a one man counter, its just me
smiles.gif
since about december my counter has taken a really hard hit. i am not making my goals like i use to and its getting really hard to book for event. now at my nordstrom they are going through a HUGE remodel and the economy is suffering for sure, and i work in one of the riches malls in jersey. so i am starting to feel the affects. i had several conversations with my DM and AE. My AE is really helpful and encouraging but my DM on the other hand is the exact opposite. i really feel that she doesn't like smashbox and that rolls over on to me. i had my review yesterday and she said "i don't even know why they have a full-timer at that counter" and i was completely shocked! its like my business is down and i am trying, with phone calls, out sourcing and what not, but its been a huge struggle and then i have my manager telling me why do they have my position anyways? why would i want to work for someone that doesn't respect me or my position?! luckily i have been interviewing with a few different people and once i get the job i will put in my two weeks but i am right there with you. i am so fed up and i am not willing to be belittled and have no support. smashbox on the other hand has been very helpful & even though i would hate to leave them i know i am doing the right thing. i understand right where you are coming from and i hope that you find a job very soon! good luck with everything and know that macy's is not the end all!
smiles.gif

AppleDiva

The economy really sucks right now, especially with the stock market, decline the US dollar, price of gas and even foreclosures. People do not have the disposable income like they used to. In my mind the first thing to go is non-necessity spending i.e. cosmetics.

It would be great if the counters would adjust the goals to be realistic. I hope that you can find a job that you love!!!

MisStarrlight

totally not related to anything, but I learned in my NASD/FINRA class that when the economy goes, high end makeup takes a hit, but drugstore line actually do well.

(And then I proceeded to tell my instructor that MAC mascara is only $11, compared to Revlon's $9)

I'm right with you though, hun. After over two years, I left MAC on Christmas Eve. It killed me to leave my position, but I just couldn't deal with certain things anymore...and I hear things have gotten worse since I left. Now is not a good time to be in retail.

beauty_marked

Autumn, I miss you at Green Acres...I really dont go to the counter anymore since your not there. its just not the same.

glamdoll

I work at Macy's and it has been getting harder and harder to make goal. It sucks that they have unrealistic expectations when we are going through and economic recession.

baybehbeka my nordstrom here doesnt have a smashbox! I didnt know they had a counter, I want to work for them.I have been buying alot of thier stuff at sephora.

I am in a really highend mall. I mean all the designers have boutiques in this mall and yet we are failing to make the counter goal. Even w/ our GWP it wasnt that well.

Hopefully it all passes soon.

VioletB

Hmmm..

Maybe in Utah we aren't doing that bad?

I work for Macy's right now at Estee Lauder. Currently we are having our GWP event, but yesterday and today were the first days we didn't make goal - However, we were close. So far for the month we are up 17% to plan, and I am in a pretty tiny little store. I think what helps us out right now is my team. We have a small counter, there is only myself and the counter manager but we have been together now for almost 6 years.

I think you have to luck out when it comes to Macy's. Our area manager doesn't pressure us too bad to open credit apps because they realize in cosmetics we have repeat customers who already have Macy's cards. (Hell, how do they think they buy all this stuff??)

Awhile back I was contemplating moving to Nordstrom. Something went down for my MAC interview (sad day!) but I was considering the full time Lauder position they had open. Macy's actually counter offered me with a $2.00 / hr raise and the store manager promised to work around my school schedule if I stayed part time. So I did. I am back in school, I got a $2.00 / hr raise (which is HUGE for macy's.. LOL) and my school comes first so they totally rearrange my set schedule in order to accomodate for school.

So IMO, I don't think Macy's is too bad. (It still is retail though!!)

Maybe I am just a poor little sheltered girl in my poor little sheltered state.
smiles.gif

MakeupMuffin

Quote:
Originally Posted by MisStarrlight
totally not related to anything, but I learned in my NASD/FINRA class that when the economy goes, high end makeup takes a hit, but drugstore line actually do well.

(And then I proceeded to tell my instructor that MAC mascara is only $11, compared to Revlon's $9)

I'm right with you though, hun. After over two years, I left MAC on Christmas Eve. It killed me to leave my position, but I just couldn't deal with certain things anymore...and I hear things have gotten worse since I left. Now is not a good time to be in retail.

That is the truth! I have 99% department store/ high-end makeup but I'm unemployed and trying to find a drug store foundation to work for me. I haven't worn drug store foundation since I was in high school. No offense to ds makeup, never had a need to buy the foundation.

pumpkincat210

Quote:
Originally Posted by VioletB
Hmmm..

I work for Macy's right now at Estee Lauder. Currently we are having our GWP event, but yesterday and today were the first days we didn't make goal - However, we were close. So far for the month we are up 17% to plan, and I am in a pretty tiny little store. I think what helps us out right now is my team. We have a small counter, there is only myself and the counter manager but we have been together now for almost 6 years.

I think you have to luck out when it comes to Macy's. Our area manager doesn't pressure us too bad to open credit apps because they realize in cosmetics we have repeat customers who already have Macy's cards. (Hell, how do they think they buy all this stuff??)

Awhile back I was contemplating moving to Nordstrom. Something went down for my MAC interview (sad day!) but I was considering the full time Lauder position they had open. Macy's actually counter offered me with a $2.00 / hr raise and the store manager promised to work around my school schedule if I stayed part time. So I did. I am back in school, I got a $2.00 / hr raise (which is HUGE for macy's.. LOL) and my school comes first so they totally rearrange my set schedule in order to accomodate for school.

smiles.gif

How many MAC's/macy's are in your area? That maybe why sales are still good, because there aren't many places to buy it. we have a ton of counters in houston and 2 mac stores.
The turnover rate is pretty high at the counter i frequent, i only see a couple of the same ma's working when i go in and the rest of the time it's a person i've never seen.

glamdoll

Quote:
Hmmm..

smiles.gif

Estee Lauder isnt doing that well for being GWP! I don't work for them, I work for Lancome. We did really good in Gift, up until the 3rd (and last) week of it. But over all we are still the #1 Counter in Macy's. Lauder has not been able to beat us. We did 2million last fiscal year.

I've seen the Lauder counter be ghost time and its gift. Maybe it will pick up this weekend? who knows...

I got a letter in the mail about the economic stimulus plan money! yay!

VioletB

Quote:
Originally Posted by glamdoll
Estee Lauder isnt doing that well for being GWP! I don't work for them, I work for Lancome. We did really good in Gift, up until the 3rd (and last) week of it. But over all we are still the #1 Counter in Macy's. Lauder has not been able to beat us. We did 2million last fiscal year.
yay!

Maybe it's the region. Like I said.. we are up 17% to plan and both Clinique and Lancome is down. My store's Lancome counter doesn't do well at all.. In fact the Regional Manager, the AC and the AE came in yesterday and bitched out the counter manager. It was really sad she wants to quit there is so much pressure on her.
ssad.gif

You are also in California.. I'm in Utah. Our counters don't even touch the million mark.

glamdoll

Quote:
Maybe it's the region. Like I said.. we are up 17% to plan and both Clinique and Lancome is down. My store's Lancome counter doesn't do well at all.. In fact the Regional Manager, the AC and the AE came in yesterday and bitched out the counter manager. It was really sad she wants to quit there is so much pressure on her.
ssad.gif

You are also in California.. I'm in Utah. Our counters don't even touch the million mark.

Yeah, that's true. This year both companies aren't doing good though. I thnk its cus of the economy as well. We are all under our LY. So yeah.. weird.

MissMarley

I'm at Macy's as well, and our store definitely has ups and downs- we were down for the month of Feb, but our goals have actually been adjusted to be more realistic now. I'm very lucky though- I have an excellent CM and AE who take great care of us. It helps the counter through the low times.

scorplove

Quote:
Originally Posted by baybehbekah
i have to say i am currently in the same situation. i am the business manager for smashbox at a nordstrom. the nice thing about nordstrom is that you get paid a decent base salary and then a 3% commission, which in my case is nice because we have inter-sell. I believe macy's has inter-sell but i am not sure. anyhoo, i really do love the smashbox brand. it isn't a mac but it definitely has some nice products and i use alot of them for my work on the side. i am a one man counter, its just me
smiles.gif
since about december my counter has taken a really hard hit. i am not making my goals like i use to and its getting really hard to book for event. now at my nordstrom they are going through a HUGE remodel and the economy is suffering for sure, and i work in one of the riches malls in jersey. so i am starting to feel the affects. i had several conversations with my DM and AE. My AE is really helpful and encouraging but my DM on the other hand is the exact opposite. i really feel that she doesn't like smashbox and that rolls over on to me. i had my review yesterday and she said "i don't even know why they have a full-timer at that counter" and i was completely shocked! its like my business is down and i am trying, with phone calls, out sourcing and what not, but its been a huge struggle and then i have my manager telling me why do they have my position anyways? why would i want to work for someone that doesn't respect me or my position?! luckily i have been interviewing with a few different people and once i get the job i will put in my two weeks but i am right there with you. i am so fed up and i am not willing to be belittled and have no support. smashbox on the other hand has been very helpful & even though i would hate to leave them i know i am doing the right thing. i understand right where you are coming from and i hope that you find a job very soon! good luck with everything and know that macy's is not the end all!
smiles.gif

Bbaybehbekah, sometimes you gotta do whatchu gotta do. Seriously.

Your DM doesn't appreciate you. It's a stressful situation to be in. Trust me, I know.

Quote:
Originally Posted by AppleDiva
The economy really sucks right now, especially with the stock market, decline the US dollar, price of gas and even foreclosures. People do not have the disposable income like they used to. In my mind the first thing to go is non-necessity spending i.e. cosmetics.

It would be great if the counters would adjust the goals to be realistic. I hope that you can find a job that you love!!!

I hope I do too AppleDiva. I'm going to be applying to as many stores as possible. Hopefully, something opens up. I would love to stay with skincare and cosmetics.

Quote:
Originally Posted by glamdoll
I work at Macy's and it has been getting harder and harder to make goal. It sucks that they have unrealistic expectations when we are going through and economic recession.

baybehbeka my nordstrom here doesnt have a smashbox! I didnt know they had a counter, I want to work for them, IMO their product is better than MACs.I have been buying alot of thier stuff at sephora.

I am in a really highend mall. I mean all the designers have boutiques in this mall and yet we are failing to make the counter goal. Even w/ our GWP it wasnt that well.

Hopefully it all passes soon.

You know? I don't even care about the b.s. 3% commission Macys offers.

The only way you'll make money is if you work for the Big Three - EL, Lancome & Clinique. Or any company that ADVERTISES. Unfortunately, Px doesn't advertise and you basically have to bribe customers with a promise of a "free" sample foundation to come to your counter. This is when you sit them in the chair and run your selling spiel on them. Booking for events is a nightmare (at least at MY location).

Quote:
Originally Posted by MissMarley
I'm at Macy's as well, and our store definitely has ups and downs- we were down for the month of Feb, but our goals have actually been adjusted to be more realistic now. I'm very lucky though- I have an excellent CM and AE who take great care of us. It helps the counter through the low times.

Oh how RIGHT you are MissMarley!

I'm not going to get into detail, but the AE for my counter is...er..um..let's just say "different". I mean you hardly ever see him. Also, wouldn't a GOOD AE would VISIT their lowest producing counters to SEE what the problem was? Could it be the fact that foot traffic is non-existent and 80% of your customers IGNORE your calls for events and new products?

My poor CM said the AE wasn't calling her back. So she has no idea HOW he feels at this point. This is beyond tacky and completely UNPROFESSIONAL. Dork! The previous AE she had was 100% different from the current one. He was SUPPORTIVE for one thing. He also taught her everything about maintaining customer loyalty and being a good CM.

Latest posts