Make up in the USA ADVICE!!

Bliur

Hi everyone!

A friend of mine is coming to the United States (she's going to Miami I think) and I plan to ask her to bring me some items. She's a makeupaholic too, so she's going to stop at Sephora, MAC, drugstores and department stores.

I'd like to know what things I can't live without from there!

Not only Limited Edition items, but also brands she can't miss :)

I plan on getting my first 15 palette from MAC (though I own several eyeshadows), Violetta lipstick, Satin Taupe and Patina and I think Blankety lipstick too.

I also want to get Vanity palette from Wet'n'Wild.

I'd appreciate your suggestions! xx

shellygrrl

Staff member
I think that largely depends on what sorts of makeup products you're interested in, what colours you like, that sort of thing.

Bliur

Oh thanks! I forgot to post it.

I'm a NC25 or so and I was looking for advice on new MAC eyeshadows or lipsticks (my lips are VERY pale), popular drugstore products I could try (brands like Wet'n'Wild for example) or CCO's my friend could go to...maybe it's a very large question :S

I like purple, green, copper, bronze, grey colors for my eyes and warm intense colors for my lips (like Impassioned, Girl About Town...etc)

shellygrrl

Staff member
Drugstore brand-wise, definitely Wet'n'Wild. I'd also recommend Revlon (aside from Colorstay, I also like their 12-hour eyeshadow quads as well as their lipsticks), Prestige (love their Total Intensity eyeliners), and EcoTools (for brushes). If your friend makes it to an Ulta (it sells a combination of drugstore and high-end brands), definitely get your friend to check out NYX (the Jumbo Pencil in Milk is an excellent base, and I also like the Mega Shine Lipglosses; since you like bright lips, I'll recommend African Queen and Dolly Pink). Sephora... MUFE has some great eyeshadows (I think most here would say #92 is a must-have purple) in all sorts of colours. The UD Naked Palette has a few coppery (Sidecar (beware of possible fallout, though!) and Toasted) and bronzy colours that are fab, along with a gorgeous shimmery grey/silver (Gunmetal) -- very versatile palette. If you don't have it, I definitely recommend it. MAC... Scene is a lovely cool grey (satin finish, as you may know), but it's not the best to work with, IMO. If I were buying a MAC grey now, I'd probably go with Print. Blackberry is a lovely brownish-plum. And my love for Shale knows almost no bounds. I think Violetta would suit you for a lippie. Pink Nouveau and Up the Amp, too. Other places... I would recommend Inglot, but I discovered there are five stores in Spain, soooo... *shrugs*. I also would've recommended Illamasqua for their lippies (they have quite the range), but the ones I'd recommend for you aren't available here. But you can order them through their website; they're ones that ship solely within the EU -- Blaze and Drench, mainly. Disciple also looks interesting, if you have a hankering to experiment. Hope that helps some! :)

Bliur

Thank you so much!

She definitely have to get some Wet n' Wild. I also love Revlon and have like 5 lippies or so, but I think it's way more cheaper in the states than here :) Prestige is sold here too, and I have a TON of Ecotools brushes (they're super soft!).

I have the jumbo pencil in Milk, I watch xsparkage since ages ago! I'll write down the Mega Shine glosses :)

I haven't thought about Blackberry, thanks! Definitely trying that out. We have MUFE here too, but I think the difference in the price is not that much, if there's any. I have the Naked palette too, and two 10-pan Inglot palettes! They're fantastic.

Other friend of mine has the professional discount on Illamasqua, so I'm not thinking about getting that brand on the states. I have some things from there and they're awesome.

Thank you again for your help! :D

ElvenEyes

For drugstore products, depending on what you have over there, I would look into the Revlon Colorburst Lip Butters...the darker ones have more pigmentation than the super pale ones! I will have a blog entry up soon about them. Also Essie nail polish...possibly their Winter Collection. OPI in salons that she might drive past, too. Never hurts to peek in and see if they sell it!

MAC anything...good to make a list beforehand. Also any of the MAC brushes you can't find. On one of my blog post I have a bunch of brown and pinkish brown lipsticks swatched, as well as a blog on reds, so that might help you decide on colours, though I am a lot paler than you (NW15). Still, it serves as a good comparison!

This isn't makeup, but I would recommend going to a Bath and Body Works store. They always have low prices and lots of sales. All the lovely holiday scents are in, as well as all of their yummy signature ones. It might be worth while to hop in and make the most of it!! :)

What brands do you not get over there or that are super expensive there compared to here? That might helps us give better suggestions for you!

Bliur

MAC is super expensive, for example. A lipstick which is 14,50$ in the states, here costs around 25$, which is 18€. So I'm going to take advantage of that for sure. Drugstore brands are more expensive too, like L'oréal, Revlon, Maybelline...they cost almost as MAC there. We don't get all the new products or they arrive late...or even, in the case of Maybelline quads or Chanel quads, they're from a different manufacturer and the quality is rubbish.

I'm very interested in WnW, I've heard a lot of good opinions about it, and I have the Comfort Zone palette which I love.

Overall, makeup here is much more expensive than there, so that's why we, european makeupaholics, travel with empty suitcases lol

I'm going to take a look on your blog, thanks!

ElvenEyes

First of all, thank you for following my blog! I just followed yours! Hablo Espanol muy poco!! But I will do my best! We like a lot of the same colores!! :)

Now that I have seen your photo I can recommend colours better! MAC lipsticks in Angel, PInk Nouveau, Pink Plaid, Bombshell, Speed Dial, Blankety, Twig, Syrup, Brave! I think these would all be good brown and pinks on you. MAC e/s in Vex, Woodwinked, Beautiful Iris, Cranberry, Blackberry, Humid, Swimming, Haux... I wish you could come over yourself and play!

Covergirl Lashblast Volume Mascara!

P.S.~The brown/pink brown lipsticks are on my September 20th blog entry!

Bliur

This has been very helpful! I like Angel a lot! And Vex. I already have Woodwinked and Covergirl Lash Blast :)

I wish I could go there now, but certainly I'll be in the future!

Thanks again!