Makeup That Breaks Up: The Heartbroken Club

cocomomo80

Snap! Crash! Thud! The sound of your beloved makeup product changing its original structure as it's altered by its usual nemeses: the floor, the postal service, your stupid, stupid hands, etc. Let those tears fall, ladies and gents! There's a makeup community shoulder for you to cry on. For who else can understand "the struggle" like that of another makeup lover who has loved and lost...control of their product? So share those heartbreaking images and/or stories of your pride and joy cosmetics going to sunder. Also, share any helpful remedies and suggestions.
#MakeupBlues #WhyLawdWhy #MUMomentOfSilence #iNeedATimeMachine #RubbingAlcoholisKing

MzBrownBeauty

Recently, I did something silly and rolled my MAC Charlotte all the up and it broke
th_wallbash.gif
It's still in the tube but of course its not the same. I also accidentally, broke a LA Femme blush that was this beautiful, awesome grape color. I never got to use it.

cocomomo80

Recently, I did something silly and rolled my MAC Charlotte all the up and it broke
th_wallbash.gif
It's still in the tube but of course its not the same. I also accidentally, broke a LA Femme blush that was this beautiful, awesome grape color. I never got to use it.
Noooooo! Not the new MAC Giambattista Valli lipstick!! Awwwww, you poor thing.
LA Femme blush. Their blushes are extra pigmented too. Did it go everywhere? Did you repress it?
I feel your pain.
weeping.gif

cocomomo80

Within the past 30 days, all of these things happened.

Fashion Fair: I was so happy to finally buy it, but it showed at my door as a loose powder.
My repressed Fashion Fair Perfect Finish Illuminating Powder in AIR. I tried my hardest to repress my FF powder after I had received it, smashed to bits, in the mail. The powder still works fine, but we all know it's not the same compared to its original state.

Gerard Cosmetics: happy to have this shade, but saddened by the cracks.
My shipment of Gerard Cosmetics' Star Powder in LUCY finally came in and...it was broken. At least the plastic flap did its best to keep the powder together. Otherwise, the circumstances would have been much worse. I'm not going to bother to replace it or repress it; the flap is doing a good job, thus far.

City Color Cosmetics: I should have turned on the lights.
I broke my highly coveted City Color Beach Beauty Bronzer in SUNSET last night. I tried my best to repair it; and some pieces keep chipping. Ugh! It looks so crappy. :eek:(. I didn't even get to use it yet; I only swatched it for pictures. And City Color's sold out of it again so I can't replace it. Wahhhh!

Ohhhh, the humanity!

cocomomo80

Wow cocomomo! you've had some bad luck lately! I feel you pain
Ugh! Tell me about it. My heart is still hurting over that City Color break. Probably because I personally broke it. But thanks for the support. I need it.

Cake Face

Chanel Rouge CoCo Paris #22 aka the most perfect red lippe, ever. Snapped right in two.

I've probably spent more money trying to find a less expensive dupe than I would've spent to just buy an entire new tube. I'm just gonna buy a new tube.

cocomomo80

Chanel Rouge CoCo Paris #22 aka the most perfect red lippe, ever. Snapped right in two.

I've probably spent more money trying to find a less expensive dupe than I would've spent to just buy an entire new tube. I'm just gonna buy a new tube.
It always hurts more when your "perfection" gets damaged.
cry.gif
I know the feeling.
Yes, definitely buy a new tube. Sometimes, dupes do not give you the same joy as the original.

Prettypackages

I've never had luck with repressing. I haven't figured out if it is too much alcohol, I didn't let it dry long enough, or I didn't use the right tool to press it.

cocomomo80

I've never had luck with repressing. I haven't figured out if it is too much alcohol, I didn't let it dry long enough, or I didn't use the right tool to press it.
I'm not very good at it either. I've only had to repress broken eyeshadows, but these larger powders were tricky. It took me so long just to fix my Fashion Fair powder. I tried the "pressing with a towel" method and failed horribly. But I ended up pressing the powder a different way.

Yeah, using too much rubbing alcohol can get frustrating. When that happens, you have to leave the powder out for many, many hours in order for the excessive alcohol to evaporate; don't even bother to press a slushy powder. I use a dropper (I think I got it from Walgreens or CVS) to control the amount of alcohol that goes onto the broken powder. I used to pour the rubbing alcohol straight from the bottle, and that was a complete fail.

Drying time, for me, has always been a minimum of 8 hours, and a maximum of 24 hours. I won't touch the wet powder until that amount of time has passed. If the powder is drying during the day, I keep it in sunlight to help with the evaporation process. If it's night, I place the powder near a small fan or keep it in a warm room.

There are times that I don't "press" the powder at all. I use a steel dental sculpting spatula tool to mix, smooth out, and apply minimal pressure to the wet powder. It will take a bit longer for the powder to completely dry (about 24 hours, since I didn't press it with a towel to absorb some of the alcohol), but it still works for me. It was a 5-piece dental spatula set I bought off eBay (a long time ago) for like $5-$9.

They look like this:

I use the 3rd spatula -- the top end; since it's narrow and rounded at the tip -- to mix the powder with the rubbing alcohol.

I use the 5th spatula -- the rounded-rectangular end -- to lay and flatten the wet powder the way I like; it's curved and wide, and it's really good at getting the job done. It's the tool I used to fix my Fashion Fair powder in the picture I posted above.

MzBrownBeauty

Noooooo! Not the new MAC Giambattista Valli lipstick!! Awwwww, you poor thing.  LA Femme blush. Their blushes are extra pigmented too. Did it go everywhere? Did you repress it? I feel your pain. :weep:
Yep....From Giambattista collection. Your right La Femme blushes are super pigmented. I wasn't able to repress it; it was completely crushed. It got all over my blush drawer but I'm glad they don't cost much.

MzBrownBeauty

Within the past 30 days, all of these things happened. [COLOR=800080]Fashion Fair: I was so happy to finally buy it, but it showed at my door as a loose powder.[/COLOR] [COLOR=464646]My repressed Fashion Fair Perfect Finish Illuminating Powder in AIR. I tried my hardest to repress my FF powder after I had received it, smashed to bits, in the mail. The powder still works fine, but we all know it's not the same compared to its original state.[/COLOR] [COLOR=800080]Gerard Cosmetics: happy to have this shade, but saddened by the cracks.[/COLOR] [COLOR=464646]My shipment of Gerard Cosmetics' Star Powder in LUCY finally came in and...it was broken. At least the plastic flap did its best to keep the powder together. Otherwise, the circumstances would have been much worse. I'm not going to bother to replace it or repress it; the flap is doing a good job, thus far.[/COLOR] [COLOR=800080]City Color Cosmetics: I should have turned on the lights.[/COLOR] [COLOR=464646]I broke my highly coveted City Color Beach Beauty Bronzer in SUNSET last night. I tried my best to repair it; and some pieces keep chipping. Ugh! It looks so crappy. :eek:(. I didn't even get to use it yet; I only swatched it for pictures. And City Color's sold out of it again so I can't replace it. Wahhhh![/COLOR] [COLOR=800080]Ohhhh, the humanity![/COLOR]
Uggghhhh that sucks! U haven't had much luck lately with pressed products...sending good thoughts your way for no more crushed, smashed products!

cindypltnm81

Within the past 30 days, all of these things happened. [COLOR=800080]Fashion Fair: I was so happy to finally buy it, but it showed at my door as a loose powder.[/COLOR] [COLOR=464646]My repressed Fashion Fair Perfect Finish Illuminating Powder in AIR. I tried my hardest to repress my FF powder after I had received it, smashed to bits, in the mail. The powder still works fine, but we all know it's not the same compared to its original state.[/COLOR] My air arrived in pieces as well. I'd originally ordered mine from belk and they sent three times all broken. Finally when I requested a refund. They offered to repackage it more securely and it arrived all intact. The product itself is beautiful, also could be used as a loose powder but that's not what I wanted.

SuSuKW

I am obviously running behind the powercurve. I drop makeup on the floor ALL THE TIME and due to tile floors, I'm always using broken makeup . So happy to learn about repressing powder but I'm wondering, does the alcohol affect the color of the makeup? Anyone have experience with that?

cocomomo80

My air arrived in pieces as well. I'd originally ordered mine from belk and they sent three times all broken. Finally when I requested a refund. They offered to repackage it more securely and it arrived all intact. The product itself is beautiful, also could be used as a loose powder but that's not what I wanted.
I had ordered mine from Belk, as well. But 3 times, all broken??!! Omg! I didn't want to ask for a replacement because Belk takes a little too long to ship. I'm glad at least you got your powder in one piece, even though it took several tries.

I did think about just putting the broken powder into a shaker, but I prefer my highlighters pressed.

cocomomo80

I am obviously running behind the powercurve. I drop makeup on the floor ALL THE TIME and due to tile floors, I'm always using broken makeup . So happy to learn about repressing powder but I'm wondering, does the alcohol affect the color of the makeup? Anyone have experience with that?
I rarely ever see the alcohol change any of my repressed powders original color.

However, I recently pressed a loose foundation I had sitting around. In the pan, the color looks different (almost paler), but when I put the product on my skin, its shade and consistency is exactly the same as it had been when it was loose. The pan color change could be from the product being a "powder foundation"; if you're familiar with powder foundations looking different in its compact than on your skin.

I've pressed other products that were originally loose (eyeshadow pigments & loose highlighting powders), and the firm color is exactly the same as its original state.

I hope this eases your worry.
winks.gif

SuSuKW

I rarely ever see the alcohol change any of my repressed powders original color. However, I recently pressed a loose foundation I had sitting around. In the pan, the color looks different (almost paler), but when I put the product on my skin, its shade and consistency is exactly the same as it had been when it was loose. The pan color change could be from the product being a "powder foundation"; if you're familiar with powder foundations looking different in its compact than on your skin. I've pressed other products that were originally loose (eyeshadow pigments & loose highlighting powders), and the firm color is exactly the same as its original state. I hope this eases your worry. ;)
Thank you Cocomomo80! I'm going to try repressing a MAC shadow. I'll post results once it's dry!

leonah

I have a palette with eyeshadows and in two of the shadows I have a dip in them (probably from a nail or two accidentally swooshed in) and I wonder how you can repair them? I have never done it before but I thought of scraping a bit from the sides and fill in the dips/holes in them but will it hold up just by "scraping" and filling or do you need alcohol or what you guys have been talking about?