Mary Kay-Yay or Nay?

SkylarV217

Quote:
Originally Posted by HySeXtTh19

IMO the pink truth website is so stupid who spends $10,000 on Mary kay makeup to "get started"??? That is ignorant lol! I think that website is filled with the dumb ex-consultants who dove straight in took out HUGE loans and now they are just mad but like I said that is my opinion!

Not all of the ladies on the website took out loans to start inventory. But if you're told by several different women that they live of off MK and how great the business is and then you spend a ton of money to get the necessary inventory thats a big deal when you've been lied to and lied to. You don't have to take out huge loans to lose a lot of money. If you had read more of the stories you would realize they are average women that were taken by the company. And yes they are mad, If i were them I would be MAD ad hadies to have something like that ruin my family or hurt the people I love and yes MK does that. Simply loosing 100 - 200 would make me MAD.

SkylarV217

Quote:
Originally Posted by elegant-one
They have downlines - so ONLY the people at the TOP of the pyramid make money off of the lowest of the totem pole going into debt.

And I think from what I've read it's typically only equivalent to a minimum wage job. Something like 20,000 a year

elegant-one

Quote:
Originally Posted by SkylarV217
while I'm not sure about it being a Mary Kay free board simply because since this girl asked about it she know knows the truth and won't be so easily sucked into the chain of devastation.

That's just my feeling about the whole MK thing. I don't fault the poster at all for asking - she is quite charming
winkiss.gif

HySeXtTh19

Quote:
To call these women 'dumb' & 'stupid' is just absolutely immature. The very, very high up director that is my friend, is one of THE most intelligent women I have ever met. You speak the very language of a kbot - degrading other women - point made.

I mean the smartest people in the world make "DUMB & STUPID" choices!

Quote:
Not all of the ladies on the website took out loans to start inventory. But if you're told by several different women that they live of off MK and how great the business is and then you spend a ton of money to get the necessary inventory thats a big deal when you've been lied to and lied to. You don't have to take out huge loans to lose a lot of money. If you had read more of the stories you would realize they are average women that were taken by the company. And yes they are mad, If i were them I would be MAD ad hadies to have something like that ruin my family or hurt the people I love and yes MK does that. Simply loosing 100 - 200 would make me MAD.

and to me that is "ignorant to go off of blind faith, I don't care how much so and so is making that is not going to make me spend $50, $100, $10,000 to get there! That's like saying I am going to spend thousands of dollars on acting classes because if I get to the right people I will be a millionaire!! I knew right from the start that you don't have to buy ANY inventory to sell MK. These "very intelligent" Women are now mad because they made dumb, stupid, ignorant whatever you want to call it choices! If they were so smart they would have built up clients before they splurged but I said my points and that's all I will say now. go ahead and bash me for speaking my opinion I know I am immature and these "pink truth" women are hurt and mad for making stupid choices!

thebreat

You can't believe everything you read on the internet. Just because some women went completely crazy over selling and the pyramid scheme doesn't make the company itself bad or the products bad. Not every mary kay lady is like that. I'm not saying that the ex-mary kay ladies are dumb either in case anyone wants to get defensive. There are women out there who will go crazy over ANYTHING. They will rack up debt over ANYTHING. It has nothing to do with the fact that the company forces you purchase, that is each representatives choice on how much she is going to buy. Being a representative in Mary Kay is about starting your own business. If these women did not have the money to keep products in stock, then they did not have the revenue to start a business. This is basic accounting here.

The company does not force these women to buy. Women will go nuts over anything. Just because some website has all these awful things to say about it doesn't make everything they say true. I'm not saying there isn't anything wrong about the company, but it's not this veil of lies and deceit that people want to make it out to be. Why look at all the negative and ignore the good? How can all these debts be one company's fault? Look at who took out those credit cards and charged that money.

My mother sold mary kay for years, and when the woman over her challenged her to sell more, she stopped going to meetings. She quit selling as much, because she didn't want to anymore. These women could have pulled out at anytime if they wanted to. If they couldn't afford it, that means they shouldn't have started a business.

As for the new mineral line, if you are sensitive for talc, or want a mineral makeup that doesn't have talc. Don't buy it. Personally, I'm glad it has some talc mixed in with the minerals, because I think bare minerals is rough and scratchy. I have very sensitive skin, and it hurts. The mary kay works great over their tinted moisturizer. I use mainly MAC, but Mary Kay has some nice products too. Try stuff out. Don't be afraid to try companies other than MAC. Just because someone has a bad experience doesn't mean you will.

Antigone

I think they have great concealer. The one in black tube.

I've tried their moisturizer and cleanser (Timewise?) and was not impressed.

I have not tried their other products/makeup.

makeupbyvee

Let me just say this Mary Kay is NOT a pyramid scheme. All this negative talk about a company that is gear to enriching women's lives. A pyramid imply's that you only make one when you either 1. Bring other people in or 2. You only make money if the person at the top is making money. You are a independent contractor, and your income is based on what you do. Mary Kay the company reward you when you share this amazing opportunity with others. If you never gain team members, your still making money. Your income earnings are based on you, and you only. Yes, I'am a consultant, and have been for 12 yrs. Just make sure you get the facts straight. Mary Kay is a choice & a lifestyle. It's not for everyone

Kaori

Yes, I'am a consultant, and have been for 12 yrs. Just make sure you get the facts straight. Mary Kay is a choice & a lifestyle. It's not for everyone
I agree that MK is not a pyramid scheme. But it's an MLM just as Amway, Herbalife and others.

from http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Multi-level_marketing

Multi-level marketing (MLM) is a marketing strategy in which the sales force is compensated not only for sales they personally generate, but also for the sales of the other salespeople that they recruit. This recruited sales force is referred to as the participant's "downline", and can provide multiple levels of compensation. Other terms used for MLM include pyramid selling, network marketing, and referral marketing.
Most commonly, the salespeople are expected to sell products directly to consumers by means of relationship referrals and word of mouth marketing. Some people use direct selling as a synonym for MLM, although MLM is only one type of direct selling, which started centuries ago with peddling.
Companies that use MLM models for compensation have been a frequent subject of criticism and lawsuits. Criticism has focused on their similarity to illegal pyramid schemes, cult-like behaviour, price fixing of products, high initial entry costs (for marketing kit and first products), emphasis on recruitment of others over actual sales, encouraging if not requiring members to purchase and use the company's products, exploitation of personal relationships as both sales and recruiting targets, complex and sometimes exaggerated compensation schemes, the company making major money off its training events and materials, and cult-like techniques which some groups use to enhance their members' enthusiasm and devotion.
In contrast to MLM is single-level marketing, where the person is rewarded only for the immediate income between the exchange of a product and monetary benefit.

From http://www.investopedia.com/terms/m/multi-level-marketing.asp

Definition of 'Multi-Level Marketing'
A strategy that some direct sales companies use to encourage their existing distributors to recruit new distributors by paying the existing distributors a percentage of their recruits' sales. The recruits are known as a distributor's "downline." All distributors also make money through direct sales of products to customers. Amway is an example of a well-known direct-sales company that uses multi-level marketing.
Investopedia explains 'Multi-Level Marketing'
Multi-level marketing is a legitimate business strategy, though it is controversial. One problem is that pyramid schemes, which use money from new recruits to pay the people at the top, often take advantage of people by pretending to be engaged in legitimate multi-level marketing. Pyramid schemes can sometimes be spotted by their greater focus on recruitment than on product sales.