maybe it's the shampoo......

Lauren1981

*suggestions PLEASE and if you've had this same problem ever let me know*

since the beginning of this month my shit has been drying out! i put shine serum and CHI silk infusion in it if i wear it down and i put a light moisturizer on it every night like i've always done. i've been racking my brain about what's happened because it's starting to REALLY get on my nerves and this is the only thing that i've changed and when i made this change, that's when all the dry stuff started happening.....

i had been using John Frieda Brillliant Brunette for the past 3 years. no problems. EVER. well, JF has a new shampoo line out that i decided to try in mid-may and it's the root awakening line and i LOVED it. when i tried it though i still had bottles of brilliant brunette around. so when i ran out, i went back to the briliant brunette and my shit feels like straight hay every since! lol! it's pissing me off! i feel like i'm trying to put all this moisturizer in my hair to hydrate it but i don't like having so much product in. (and i drink tons of water everyday and have been eating pretty good like normal)

i'm wondering did my hair get used to the other line and when i switched back to this one, it just totally threw it off. like i said, brilliant brunette has been my thing for 3 years and never any problems. i try the root awakening and it was actually more moisturizing than the other but when i switch back it's just dry as hell!
th_dunno.gif

any suggestions? has anyone had this happen before with switching shampoos???
help me out because i've been throwing my hair in the trash for the past 3 weeks and it's freaking me out....

chynegal

Maybe u should try a diffrent line of shampoo for a month and see what happens because that's no bueo....serium dosent really do anthing for ur hair besides take the friz down and make ur hair shiny do a hot oil treat ...do u flat iron or blow dry ur hair alot

Lauren1981

Quote:
Originally Posted by chynegal
Maybe u should try a diffrent line of shampoo for a month and see what happens because that's no bueo....serium dosent really do anthing for ur hair besides take the friz down and make ur hair shiny do a hot oil treat ...do u flat iron or blow dry ur hair alot

yeah i know. i live in ft. laud so when i wear it down i have to use it to keep the shine and avoid friziness because of the humidity.
BUT
i am going to try a different line. i think i threw off some kind of balance in my hair.
my friend told me she thinks i have a protein build up which sounds like this could be the case....

Lauren1981

Quote:
Originally Posted by nichollecaren
it could be that your hair simply needs a moisture treatment!

well after this crap with the shampoos i'm going to do one tonight. i had already bought some for a treatment because i haven't done one in Lord knows how long. i'm just going to use a clarifying, do the treatment and use my moisturizing conditioner.
you know how they say your hairs snaps with too much protein? that's what it has been doing but it never crossed my mind that, that was the problem

Lauren1981

Quote:

not often enough to do any serious damage. sometimes i go weeks with just pulling into a pony tail because i don't feel like curling it. the only time i use the blow dryer is when i wash it which is only every four or five days.

chynegal

I feel you on the humidity lol I live in miramar this hot florida weather dosent help.... when I'm stressed my hair sheds a lot and I can't stand it....I need a hair treatment by self cuz I flat iron my hair a lot...what treatment are you using

Lauren1981

Quote:
I feel you on the humidity lol I live in miramar this hot florida weather dosent help.... when I'm stressed my hair sheds a lot and I can't stand it....I need a hair treatment by self cuz I flat iron my hair a lot...what treatment are you using

i bought one from aphogee that has jojoba and other oils in it. it's really watery lookin though..... i'm wondering if i should have bought something a slight thicker like the queen helene jojoba. i'm going to get a clarifying shampoo tonight and use that, the treatment, then deep condition because this is crazy. lately, when i run the comb through my hair so much shit just falls out on my shoulders. its like, it takes NOTHING for it to shed and my hair has never been like that.....

chynegal

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lauren1981
i bought one from aphogee that has jojoba and other oils in it. it's really watery lookin though..... i'm wondering if i should have bought something a slight thicker like the queen helene jojoba. i'm going to get a clarifying shampoo tonight and use that, the treatment, then deep condition because this is crazy. lately, when i run the comb through my hair so much shit just falls out on my shoulders. its like, it takes NOTHING for it to shed and my hair has never been like that.....

Yeah that happens to me too. I figured that was happening cuz I dyed my hair a lot but I cut that out. When was the last time u got a trim because a lot of the time when u have split ends it can split all the way up to the root of ur hair and make it fall out....I need a trim right now my self

Lauren1981

Quote:
Yeah that happens to me too. I figured that was happening cuz I dyed my hair a lot but I cut that out. When was the last time u got a trim because a lot of the time when u have split ends it can split all the way up to the root of ur hair and make it fall out....I need a trim right now my self

i trim it every 6 weeks or so. sometimes 4 if i havent' been keeping up on it. pretty much on a regular basis. i've heard that it can split all the way to the root but my hair just started falling out and shedding like this when i switched shampoos. it's even been having this film. when my hair dries after washing it feels like it's got more sh*t in it afterwards than it did before i washed it, ya know? i think i may have been on my way to having too much and when i switched, the OTHER shampoo is what i needed but then i went back to this one and it just got worse.... i used to comb through my hair with damn near no shed wet or dry and now it's like, so much comes out. and it's not at the roots so that's how i knew something was wrong..

MACLovin

You should go to whole foods and get yourself some raw coconut oil... wet your hair, put a little oil in a glass dish and microwave for a few seconds. Then take a rag/washcloth and basically 'paint' it on your hair.. wrap it in a shower cap and let it sit for a while, then shampoo and condition like normal. Your hair will be soft and gorgeous!
greengrin.gif

makeba

i would go with what MAClovin said about the coconut oil pre shampoo condition treatment first. I use apple cider vinegar/water rinse after i shampoo and condition my hair to bring it back to its proper ph balance. why not try that. i use 8-12 ounces of distilled water and a tablespoon of vinegar and run it through my hair and then rinse with cool water a couple times afterwards. i have been using this method for 3yrs and its helps my locs.

Lauren1981

Quote:
Originally Posted by MACLovin
You should go to whole foods and get yourself some raw coconut oil... wet your hair, put a little oil in a glass dish and microwave for a few seconds. Then take a rag/washcloth and basically 'paint' it on your hair.. wrap it in a shower cap and let it sit for a while, then shampoo and condition like normal. Your hair will be soft and gorgeous!
greengrin.gif

i've heard about the coconut oil thing. i might need to try it. i think i need to just moisturize with NATURAL oils as opposed to all this shit that has a million different things in them. not to mention i'm taking chemistry right now so that's kind of got me paying attention to these things now. lol!
i will definitely try this.
and thanks to all you ladies for your input and suggestions.
my friend emailed me and told me to get a cheap clarifying shampoo and get the hair sqeaky clean first (to remove the protein buildup) and then just use the moisturizing conditioner i used before. i did that last night and there was already a big improvement. i think, like she said, it'll take a week or two before it gets back to the way it was but i'm already seeing a difference so i'm good.

thanks again ladies!!!!
winkiss.gif
heart.gif
winkiss.gif

Lauren1981

Quote:
Originally Posted by makeba
i would go with what MAClovin said about the coconut oil pre shampoo condition treatment first. I use apple cider vinegar/water rinse after i shampoo and condition my hair to bring it back to its proper ph balance. why not try that. i use 8-12 ounces of distilled water and a tablespoon of vinegar and run it through my hair and then rinse with cool water a couple times afterwards. i have been using this method for 3yrs and its helps my locs.

thats sounds interesting.... does it kind of work like how neutralizing shampoo works as far as balancing the pH or do you feel it works better????

Latest posts