Metal-X Troubles; Can Anyone Please Help?

YvetteJeannine

So, I am sure most of you remember the Metal X cream shadows that came out a while back (last year??). LOVE the colors. Terrific, beautiful, gorgeous colors..The only problem is the texture..I wanted to inquire if anyone else has had problems with these
th_dunno.gif

Here's the thing; when I use a brush to try to apply product (I'll usually use the 252 or the 242 brush..they're really good for cream products), it's so hard to get on the brush. They're very sticky, and dry as well, so that when I DO finally get it on the brush, it comes off in 'clumps', if you know what I mean. When I finally apply it to my eyelid, it becomes sticky and clumpy; as well as dry. It's very hard to apply, and especially hard to blend! I HAVE tried Urban Decay Primer Potion, but it isn't yielding the results I'd like..plus, it doesn't solve the problem of not being able to pick up product correctly with the brush.

If I did not love the colors so much (I have the blue one, as well as the gold and Pink Ingot), I would simply say to hell with it, not worth the trouble...But the colors..the colors ARE gorgeous..that's the conundrum.

I can only see this problem (dry texture) worsening with age of the product. And, I know MAC is coming out with more of these..and the preview I saw of them looked really nice (maybe they're already out..I dunno; I've been SO busy with work this last month that I haven't had any time to check out the newest collections). I would definitely purchase more of these if I could fix this problem. But, as it stands, I wouldn't buy them again..and they're beautiful! So, it's kinda sad
winks.gif

I would SO like to be able to use these. Do any of you gals (and/or gents) have the same problem with these? And, if so, have you a solution?

Please, people..can anyone help me with this? Like I said, I LOVE the colors (especially the blue!). I haven't used these in a while, 'cause of the problems with them..and I'd like to be able to use makeup that I've paid for!!

ANY suggestions would be great!

Thanks!
cutey.gif

EllieFerris

This is what I do...

I use the discontinued M.A.C. "sponge" eyeshadow brush (picked it up at a CCO). I lightly dampen it and then rub lightly in a circular motion over the Metal-X shadow. Be sure to use some kind of prep on your lid and it will adhere nicely with great color payoff!

Good luck!
yes.gif

Susanne

I use the 231 for applying Paint Pots and the Metal-X e/s. This is a smaller and stiffer brush. HTH!

bartp

the trick that worked best for me was this one:

- I hold the container a few inches away from a lightbulb. It warms it up slightly and then it's no problem getting it on a brush (I noticed that it was easier to use Metal-X on hot days, compared to cold winter days)

- mixing a bit of paint pot and metal-X will also help to get a creamy (and non-clumpy) texture

good luck experimenting

HeatherAnn

I have a cream eyeshadow that I give give a quick shot with the blow dryer to heat it up a bit. It makes it much easier to spread.

nunu

I use the 242 brush for the metal x eyeshadows, what i do is warm the eyeshadow itself and the brush for a 15-30 seconds by placing them by a lamp. The bristles on the brush would get softer and helps pack the colour on more easily. Then i pat the eyeshadow on gently and pack on more if i feel that i need more product.
I use UDPP before applying it on.

I haven't used them in a while as they are so hard to work with but you've inspired me to get them out again and work with them.

I am sure there is a video on youtube by Enkore on how to use these bad boys. I remember watching it when they first came out.

Hope this helps

gigglegirl

i don't try to get it on in any clumps or whatnot.

try what i do: use your 242 brush, and just swipe over the metal x a few times. like stroke the brush over it about 4 times, then swipe it on your eyes. it takes a bit long but it builds it up, and really helps to reduce any crease factor (as you aren't smacking on a huge glob of it and as you've experienced, clumps are hard to smooth out).

Mabelle

my way seems a lot less sophisticated buttttt i put on a paint then UDPP (or a shade stick) and then just pat the colour on with my finger. the heat from my fingers warms up the shadow and makes it easy to apply. i dont find it messy at all. i think this has worked the best for me.

nunu

Quote:
Originally Posted by darkishstar
Mixing medium probably helps out a lot too.
smiles.gif

That's an interesting point, i've never thout of using MM with metal x eyeshadows. How would you go about doing that? Dab a drop of MM on your hand and load your brush with the metal x eyeshadow?
I'm going to try that and see how it goes!
smiles.gif

YvetteJeannine

Thank you SO much, ladies..for every single post. At least now I know it isn't just me having so many troubles with these things (or, that I didn't just get a few 'bad' ones)!!

I really like the ideas you all have given..Heating them up with a blow dryer or under a light...GREAT advice!!! And the Mixing Medium..that's a wonderful idea too (as a matter of fact, I *NEED* to get some MM..it's great for SO MANY things; I don't have a PRO store near me, so I guess I'll have to order it).

To those of you who said I need to put a primer on, you're right..A base/primer helps SO much!

I am so glad to hear those tips, and I will try them right away. I love these eyeshadows, but I do wish they were a bit creamier and easier to work with and blend out..But, the colors are so fantastic that I just had to see if I could give 'em another shot..so, thanks..to everyone!!

aziajs

Quote:
Originally Posted by nunu
That's an interesting point, i've never thout of using MM with metal x eyeshadows. How would you go about doing that? Dab a drop of MM on your hand and load your brush with the metal x eyeshadow?
I'm going to try that and see how it goes!
smiles.gif

I use mixing medium with Plum Electric because it has the driest texture. I scoop a little out with and add it to a palette. Then I add a drop or two of mm and mix it. It made it a lot easier to work with.

I also use a different type of brush. I have been using my 217 and swirling it in the shadow. Then I use it like any other shadow. I don't use it as a base when I use this brush. I always use it in conjunction with other shadows.

jilliandanica

I apply my metal-x shadows with my fingers. I don't warm them up because I find that they crease less. The warmth from my fingers is just enough to make them spread evenly.