Mixing Medium...

glittergoddess27

Yep you can use water with pigments to foil them,.. I did notice however when I use water as opposed to mixing medium when it dries it tends to dust down more,... just a little side note,.. you can also get mixing medium at your local costume shop probably much cheaper than MAC's if the price worries you. A nice sized bottle at a reasonable price,. I use Mehron brand as well as MAC.

user79

I don't really like using water for pigments. If I want it in a paste or liquid form, I use Mixing Medium, it adheres better. Because when the water dries, the pigments don't really have any "hold".

You can also use the MAC Shadesticks with pigments, it sticks the best and makes the colour really intense.

Esperanza

The Mixing Medium (the water based one) really helps the pigments to adhere and the colour stay very longer. You can also make your own colour by mixing 2 or more piggies or e/s with it.

I also use Agnes b. Eye Color Base, it's a cream with a powder texture, flesh-coloured and it helps smoothen the lid and fix the e/s while enhanced their colour.

Esperanza

Ooops, I forgot: I've tried to use water with pigments and it worked (I didn't have my MM with me) but as MissChievous said, the piggies didn't hold very well in the end...

mandarine

Cuz I have seen several different mixing mediums on macpro, and I'm not sure what's the difference. Could anyone tell me which one works better for pigments and e/s?

Sanne

I don't like to use water, because it makes my eyelid very dry, just like when I come out of the shower... It doesn't happen when i use mixing medium

Sanne

Quote:
Originally Posted by mandarine
Cuz I have seen several different mixing mediums on macpro, and I'm not sure what's the difference. Could anyone tell me which one works better for pigments and e/s?

mixing medium waterbase is the best!!!

Colorqueen

Just FYI, you can make your own mixing medium without the chemical preservatives that could cause irritation by mixing vegetable glycerine with water. I use 3 water to 1 glycerine proportions, but you can experiment yourself.

The glycerine is what keeps the pigment from drying back to powder again.

ALSO--I can not use Urban Decay Primer Potion more than once or twice a week- it causes raw eyelids, just in case you or anyone else reading happens to be sensitve- just be cautious when using it.

I find that if I REALLY want pigment to stick, I use Fluidlines as a base and press the pigment into it BEFORE it sets, Shadesticks- although they do not stay as well for me, and Liquidlast liner stays in place the best.

If you apply as a base WITH FINGER- brush dries out too fast, then you can quickly press pigment into it and blend quickly before it sets- it will stay in place all day- and I have had it stay for up to 4 days before I just wanted to wash it off. Probably would have stayed another day or two.

I don't recommend extended wearing over a day, it was just an experiment. It is by far the best stuff I have ever used to make pigments stay in place all day.

pompom.gif

mrstucker

Cheap Base for piggies

Quote:
Originally Posted by Colorqueen
Just FYI, you can make your own mixing medium without the chemical preservatives that could cause irritation by mixing vegetable glycerine with water. I use 3 water to 1 glycerine proportions, but you can experiment yourself.

The glycerine is what keeps the pigment from drying back to powder again.

ALSO--I can not use Urban Decay Primer Potion more than once or twice a week- it causes raw eyelids, just in case you or anyone else reading happens to be sensitve- just be cautious when using it.

I find that if I REALLY want pigment to stick, I use Fluidlines as a base and press the pigment into it BEFORE it sets, Shadesticks- although they do not stay as well for me, and Liquidlast liner stays in place the best.

If you apply as a base WITH FINGER- brush dries out too fast, then you can quickly press pigment into it and blend quickly before it sets- it will stay in place all day- and I have had it stay for up to 4 days before I just wanted to wash it off. Probably would have stayed another day or two.

I don't recommend extended wearing over a day, it was just an experiment. It is by far the best stuff I have ever used to make pigments stay in place all day.

pompom.gif

I agree - your local drugstore will sell glycerin in a small bottle for a coupla bucks at most...it'll last you a lifetime, and it works as well as the Mixing Medium. It's completely skin safe, and eye safe, so I'd recommend if you're on a budget. I use the MM myself, but that's only because I bought 2 bottles this Spring (I'll probably NEVEr use it up, I still have 70% of the first bottle left!)

HTH~!

OnaFyre

EZR also mixes well with pigments, especially if you want to use it as an eyeliner, and you can get it anywhere Mac is sold (right?).

DaizyDeath

it will make the color alot brighter but i dont like the way eyeshadows/pigments apply when their wet just feels wierd to me.

also just a note NONE of mac's eyeshadows or pigments are demmed eye safe when used with anykind of mixing medium or water.

if you want that kind of painted on look id try kyolan they have some nice stuff.

www.shrinkle.net she sells alot of their stuff on her ebay site.

~LadyLocks~

Quote:
Originally Posted by pink_hearts
I just bought the mixing medium (water based), but im kinda clueless on how to use it.. any help?

Yes I'm wondering the same thing but I actually haven't bought it yet although I have been thinking about it. You use mixing mediums to get the e/s and pigments wet right? Also, what's the difference between the water based and alcohol?

pink_hearts

I bought it for pigments, but I dont want to try it blind..
I was told the alcohol based is not for the eyes, so it's more of a body product

MAChostage

I recently bought the water-based mixing medium for the first time, myself, for use with my piggies. So far I've used it two ways:

1. Put a tiny bit of the mixing medium on your brush and then "grab" a little of the pigment and apply it to your lid
  2. Put a drop or two in some type of small container (I used one of those that people use for piggie samples), then add a tiny bit of pigment to it, mix and use like a paint of sorts.
I'm sure others here can chime in with their .02.
smiles.gif

Latest posts