Monochromatic and Smoky + New Camera

Amaranth

Hi ladies and gents

I had a lot of time this morning so I decided to experiment a little. I just got an awesome new (well...new for me) Nikon camera, a CoolPix 8800VR for anyone who is interested. I spent most of my time figuring out how to take pictures properly, haha! I was messing with settings, so if there are colour differences, that's why. Luckily this look is pretty much black and white anyway, so it doesn't matter too much.

Also I wanted to mess with shadow shapes. I've always been frustrated with my lack of an eye crease, and I've always been a sucker for the deep, wide-eye look. I mainly wanted to see what it would look like if I brought the crease over more towards my nose. I'm happy with THAT, but I'm not sure about the rest of it. I always get so excited because I love the way things turn out when my eyes are open, but I really hate the way it looks when I close my eyes. So frustrated!! If anyone has any tips on drawing on a crease properly, please let me know. I'm aware of how to find it using the brush-while-eyes-are-open thing, but then I'm left with like, no eyelid. So I was just messing around with it today. I think it's a bit high...but I like how it looked with my eyes open
ssad.gif

The pictures:

Yay! My new camera also has one of those screens you can flip around for self-portraits so now I don't have to take 94 million pictures before I manage to get myself not only IN the picture, but not looking like a complete idiot.

See...SEE?! I dunno...maybe I'm just being overly picky, but I don't think I am.

And again...I'm looking slightly downwards in this picture so it really emphasizes my lack of crease.

But I like it when my eyes are open, like this one.

And one last dumb one haha!

What I Used

Face
MAC StudioFix Powder Foundation in C3
Revlon SkinLights Liquid (highlighter)
CoverGirl Bronzer

Eyes
MAC Paint in Bare Canvas
MAC PowerPoint eyeliner in Engraved
MAC Eyeshadow in Carbon
MAC Eyeshadow in Beauty Marked
MAC Eyeshadow in Crystal Avalanche
MAC Eyeshadow in Orb
MAC Eyeshadow in Rummy (brows)
Almay Triple Effect Mascara in Black

Lips
MAC Lipstick in Pretty Please

So yeah...let me know!!

Penn

I think you did an amazing job! You look so beautiful and your eyes really stand out, I know how you feel about the crease thing I have the same problem but I love what you did with the shadows
smiles.gif

VDUB*BELLA

LOL creaseless one over here too
th_LMAO.gif

Sick job with the with the shading though
Pretty Please is one of my fave lippies

GlamYOURUs

My cousin has the same digi cam as you and she loves it. The pics look awesome. And I love this smokey look. Im all for smokey eyes. Nice job of blending
winks.gif

Amaranth

Thanks guys, I'm glad someone else likes it...because I'm not too sure yet.

It's also good to hear I'm not alone with the creaseness thing...I'm sure it's quite common, but I find it so frustrating when so many like, make-up tutorials and stuff say to "apply [whatever] in the crease" and I'm like, crap...I have none. I guess having a nice eye crease would be pretty for some things, but I guess not having one gives us freedom in a different way...we always want what we don't have, eh?

nunu

i love this look!! The crease defining thing you've done is fine i really like it!

can you tell me the colour placement please?

TIA

Amaranth

Thanks so much, guys!

Quote:
Originally Posted by nunu
i love this look!! The crease defining thing you've done is fine i really like it!

can you tell me the colour placement please?

TIA

Thanks! First I put on the eyeliner, all the way around, and smudged it using the MAC 219 brush. Then I put Beauty Marked over top using the same brush, and did the crease thingy. Then I put Crystal Avalanche on the lid (using the 231), and added a bit more Beauty Marked with the 217 around the edges that met the white eyeshadow to get it blended a little better. Then I added a bit of Carbon to the outer V and the inner corner (the end part of the crease near my nose) using the 223, and then just VERY LIGHTLY patted a little more Beauty Marked over top of that. Then I just applied the Orb (I use it because it's the exact colour of my skin and it's matte) with the 217 to my browbone. I also lightly dusted over the crease colour with the Orb, using the 217 to get it a bit lighter. I was about to go to class and it was pretty dark. I don't normally care about this whole "daytime make-up" thing, but it was pretty damn dark. So yeah...I think that's about it. I hope that actually helps you in some way. I'm one of those people that keeps reapplying colours over and over, just feeling my way through the look.

gigglegirl

I know I should be looking at the makeup but I seriously LOVE your hair!!!

The makeup looks great too! (sorry i have no pearls of wisdom re: crease)

hotpink1326

Yay for the new camera!! It totally shows your skill of blending so much more!! You are gorgeous & your makeup looks fab
th_wink3.gif