MSFN Help w/ Shade - Medium Dark?

alka1

my Medium Plus is looking a bit too light or my skin right now. It looks fine when I first apply it, but out in daylight the color is a bit off. My skin now is about NC35... anyone in that range wear Medium Dark in MSFN?

some users on MUA have said this turns orange on them.. anyone here have that problem?

Sojourner

I'm NC35 and I wear Medium Plus, it is a touch off on me (probably that the tone is a bit more beige than golden) but Medium Dark is definitely too dark.

In my experience, all foundations, powder or liquid, darken slightly as the day goes on. I think the oil that skin produces makes it seem that way at least

alka1

right, the color is a bit more beige than I would like.. the color still blends nicely, although I wish it was a tad darker.

i guess the most expensive option would be to buy both and mix them to get the right shade? but paying double is not something I want to do right now

new question - what shade comes after medium plus? I thought it was Medium Dark, but the MAC website shows Medium Deep as being the next darkest.. anyone know?

alka1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sojourner
Wow, that's a good question because I always assumed that Medium Dark came after Medium Plus...if that's not the case then no wonder it seemed too dark for me!

I've tried to arrange them via colour spectrum on the MAC site but it doesn't do it correctly...in any case going by the descriptions of the shades when you scroll over them:

Medium is described as Warm Beige
Medium Plus is described as Tan Beige
Medium Dark is described as Caramel

and as Medium Deep is described as Rich Golden Tan, logic would say that this comes after Medium Plus and before Medium Dark...

...anyone want to confirm this?

I just assumed that a Deep medium would be darker than a Dark medium.. hm. The descriptions are a bit tricky.

Temptalia has swatches of the different shades.. and unless she labeled them incorrectly, it confirms that M. Deep is lighter than M. Dark? link: MAC Cosmetics - N Collection Review and Swatches She says Medium Deep is a cooler-toned version of Medium Plus?
th_confused_new.gif

I wish MAC had live-chat on the weekends
ssad.gif

HoneyDip

hey ladies!!
seems like im not the only one having bad luck with MSF natural
ssad.gif
Im a NC35 too and I bought Medium Dark. I felt like it turned a lil orange on me so I went back to another MAC counter the next day to confirm that its really my shade. The MUA took off my foundation and tried Medium Plus and Medium Dark right next to it..her and my best friend both said Medium Plus looks off, like it looks like im wearin powder, so I decided to stay with my Medium Dark. I just feel a lil uncomfortable with it bc if I add bronzer to contour or what not it will look unaturally dark!!
ssad.gif
Its not the first time that I have problems finding the right shade..I'm not super tanned all year round neither would I consider myself fair/medium, Im just right in between and my heavy golden undertones don't make it easier lol..

HoneyDip

oh I forgot to add: Medium Deep is a LOT darker than Medium Dark. Someone recommended it as bronzer for me, but it looked horribly orange. not good.

alka1

Quote:
Originally Posted by HoneyDip
hey ladies!!
seems like im not the only one having bad luck with MSF natural
ssad.gif
Im a NC35 too and I bought Medium Dark. I felt like it turned a lil orange on me so I went back to another MAC counter the next day to confirm that its really my shade. The MUA took off my foundation and tried Medium Plus and Medium Dark right next to it..her and my best friend both said Medium Plus looks off, like it looks like im wearin powder, so I decided to stay with my Medium Dark. I just feel a lil uncomfortable with it bc if I add bronzer to contour or what not it will look unaturally dark!!
ssad.gif
Its not the first time that I have problems finding the right shade..I'm not super tanned all year round neither would I consider myself fair/medium, Im just right in between and my heavy golden undertones don't make it easier lol..

why does MAC make this so difficult!
nonono.gif

I love my MSFN, so i'm really trying to make it work..

You mentioned the Medium Deep is a lot darker than Medium Dark.. so my guess is that Temptalia's swatches were not labeled correctly because based on the picture the Medium Dark looks darker.

right now my only options are - buy Medium Dark and hope it isn't too dark. Stick with medium plus and make it work somehow? like I said, it looks a bit light on me. Or.. buy both and mix them
shockt.gif
the latter seems to be my only choice now.

MAC - please give me a medium NC35ish neutral olive-toned powder that isn't too light or beige, and doesn't turn orange!
cry.gif

jenixxx

Well this is a bit of a toughie.. you could try the Medium Dark with a very very light hand?
I'm NC40-42ish and I use this colour. It doesn't really go orange on me but it is def a more orange colour than Medium Deep (which is too dark for me).

If your Medium Plus is slightly too light maybe warm up with a bronzer?
I think it looks better to have your face -slightly- lighter if you can't find the right colour than to have it too dark.. then everything just looks awful.

Sorry wish I could say what you want to hear.. best I can offer is to say look for swatches like crazy or wait to buy until you swatch in store!
Good luck

alka1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Susanne
I am NC 30 and wear both - Medium Dark and Medium Plus.

interesting that you can wear both - thanks for your input!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sojourner
^ at the same time? Do you wear Medium Dark as a contour/bronzer or is it light enough do you think to wear all over for an NC30-35?

I checked the Temptalia swatches that Alka1 posted (thanks for that!) and I think she has got it right. I also think that maybe Medium Deep and Medium Dark are not supposed to be approached from a 'which is lighter or darker?' perspective, I think the two colours are designed for people with medium skin but with different undertones. So Medium Deep for pinky cooler skintones and Medium Dark for warmer skintones.

I think mixing shades is the only solution but I think once a product takes that much effort you might as well find a well-matched alternative product instead.

I will try Medium Dark again next time I go to MAC

you're probably right about the shades being for different undertones as opposed to lighter/darker.. the good news is tomorrow's Monday which means Live Chat is open at MAC! Hopefully the MA will be familiar with the shades and will answer some of our questions.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jenixxx
Well this is a bit of a toughie.. you could try the Medium Dark with a very very light hand?
I'm NC40-42ish and I use this colour. It doesn't really go orange on me but it is def a more orange colour than Medium Deep (which is too dark for me).

If your Medium Plus is slightly too light maybe warm up with a bronzer?
I think it looks better to have your face -slightly- lighter if you can't find the right colour than to have it too dark.. then everything just looks awful.

Sorry wish I could say what you want to hear.. best I can offer is to say look for swatches like crazy or wait to buy until you swatch in store!
Good luck

Hi! I actually do use bronzer, but for some reason the MSFN still looks a tad too light on my skin. I mean it looks ok - but I would prefer a slightly better match.. I figured maybe going a shade darker might work. still undecided, but like I said - I'll try Live Chat tomorrow and see what the MA has to say about the shades
smiles.gif
thanks for the advice!

alka1

Update - I did the Live Chat and talked to the MA.. sorry to say, but she didn't really help. She basically just told me what was on the website - Medium Deep is the next shade up from Medium Plus. She recommended Medium Deep for me.

Today I went into Nordstrom and instead decided to pick up Medium Dark. I was expecting it to be dark, but it actually didn't look dark in the pan. It has a bit more yellow in it than Medium Plus, and it's slightly darker. Needless to say it matched perfectly when I applied it! I've had it on for a couple hours now and it hasn't turned orange (i'm pretty sure it won't.)

I love my MSFN again!
smiles.gif

HoneyDip

im glad u found ur perfect shade. now that im a lil tanned during summer and leanin more towards NC35-NC40 medium dark is a great match for me too.

jenixxx

Quote:
Originally Posted by alka1
Update - I did the Live Chat and talked to the MA.. sorry to say, but she didn't really help. She basically just told me what was on the website - Medium Deep is the next shade up from Medium Plus. She recommended Medium Deep for me.

Today I went into Nordstrom and instead decided to pick up Medium Dark. I was expecting it to be dark, but it actually didn't look dark in the pan. It has a bit more yellow in it than Medium Plus, and it's slightly darker. Needless to say it matched perfectly when I applied it! I've had it on for a couple hours now and it hasn't turned orange (i'm pretty sure it won't.)

I love my MSFN again!
smiles.gif

YAY! I think we have similiar colouring since we run in a lot of the same threads but I am slightly darker.. glad it worked out for you, I feel like you have to be so much pickier and careful with colour matching when you are anything above NC/NW20!