my first successfull depotting session

iluvtinkerbell23

i just depotted my very first shadows. yay me! i really liked it. i just need to buy magnets now...

and a pic of my most prized possession(other than my baby blankie):
Picture005da.jpg

makeup_junkie

eyelove.gif

ohhh i love it! seeing yours makes me want to do mine! can i call MAC and order a palette? there's not a pro store in my area...
ssad.gif

Dawn

Administrator
Staff member
Don't know if you have Michael's Crafts in your area, they have a few different varities of magnets that will work. There are small strips or some on a roll. The roll had more on it and it ended up costing less for that.

Krista

Quote:
Originally Posted by makeup_junkie
eyelove.gif

ohhh i love it! seeing yours makes me want to do mine! can i call MAC and order a palette? there's not a pro store in my area...
ssad.gif

Do only pro stores carry palettes?

AlliSwan

I love me some 1" round magnets...just the OCD in me, I don't like the little strips and I like the label from the back of the pot fitting perfectly and smoothly on the round magnet!

Lele

Wow, congratulations. I'm still to chicken to try, for fear of somehow messing up. The process seems simple enough, but knowing me, I'd find some way to botch it.

missBOMBcheLLe

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlliSwan
I love me some 1" round magnets...just the OCD in me, I don't like the little strips and I like the label from the back of the pot fitting perfectly and smoothly on the round magnet!

i use the strips and works well... where do you get the round magnets from? maybe i'll try those 2!

MACActress

Wow congratulations! I'm still perfecting my depotting method as I have large chips/cracks in Aquadisiac, Pink Freeze, Parfait Amour, and Slip Pink to name a few =P

At Michaels I just bought business card sized flat magnet things and i cut them into a circle shape after placing the label on them.

Jillipede

I just did my first depotting of 4 eyeshadows. I used my heat gun/embossing tool. After popping out the top plastic pot, I held it with tweezers while heating the underside with the heat tool for about 15-20 seconds. Then I used my exacto Knife to pop out the pan. Worked great!

m4dswine

I have employed the fork method very succcessfully, even to do blushes. I have burnt my fingers and ruined a fork, but what the hell!!

It was incredibly pleasing to do the first one.

kateisgreat

i bought a palette and some palette eyeshadows.
then i tried to depot a potted e/s and disaster.
it was almost out and then my electric eel shattered.
i'm glad it wasn't a l/e shadow but now i'm afraid of depotting.
haha, your palette looks pretty though!

sandsonik

I just depotted for the first time too

I did four via the blow dryer method and with two I tried freezing them. Both methods work to break down the glue but my problem was prying the pan out. Maybe I needed a thinner knife or something but I dinged up all but one. With some of them, I just made dent marks on the sides of the pan so they're not perfectly round but with a couple I either slipped and slipped the knife into the pan or the pressure of the knife on the side of the pan caused the shadow to buckle and chip a little.

As long as it doesn't continue to chip, I'm ok - I've rarely used all of a shadow anyway. I didn't end up using magnets because I found the glue was still so sticky that it stuck to the palette just fine. I may live to regret this later if I want to switch palettes around. I'm always too impatient to do things the right way!

Chic 2k6

Great try! I depotted mine and i dont bother with magnets, mine is stick from glue and it can be taken in and out no probs and still regain stickyness so no worries there
greengrin.gif