my heart is still broken for Katrina victims

yummy411

guys.. i'm just hurt right now.. i think i feel worse for the Katrina victims and survivors now than I did when it happened. I think that's because then the media could only report and try to keep us calm and informed... now they don't have a choice but to show the wretched aftermath.

i don't know if i'll feel satisfied until i find a volunteer trip to the NO or some community service in my city.... i thought they'd be in better positions by now..... i'm off to find something.

if you have any thoughts, words of comfort, things that you've done for the Katrina victims.. share.. anything
ssad.gif

Shimmer

I feel much worse for the forgotten cities in Mississippi, Alabama, etc. =/

That's not to say I don't feel sympathy or empathy for NOLA etc., but I think the other cities further inland deserve attention as well.

MiCHiE

Wow. It amazes me how the media shows these warped portrayals of NO. Not saying it's "all good" here, but 80% of the city was under water and it's almost as if people believe everything should be back to normal already. Sorry, but it's easier said than done.

CantAffordMAC

when hurricane katrina actually happened, I was so young and wrapped up in my own life that i didn't pay it too much mind.
ssad.gif

Its still hard for me to comprehend...I can only begin to sympathize. I can't even imagine what it feels like to wonder where your family is, to see your house submerged in water, to see dead bodies, to be accused of looting when really you are just trying to survive. Those people lost everything, and nobody seemed to care...

its just too sad to even wrap my little self absorbed mind around. I have so much compassion for these people, yet I just can't even put myself in their shoes. God bless them and their families...my heart goes out to all of the victims of hurricane katrina

Beauty Mark

If you have the time, there are still many volunteer groups that go down to that area to help.

I'd research it, but I'm going to guess they need money. Places where disaster hits always seem to need money.

MiCHiE

And, if you don't want to volunteer, get dirty, see devastation up close, go through tons of emotions by doing so----just come here. Shack up with friends or rent a room, go out to eat, drink, party, have fun, whatever. People are still kind of torn about coming here and having fun in the midst of crisis, but honestly, it's the best thing you can do. You dropping a few dollars in the French Quarter, on Magazine St., at the Aquarium or restaurant is just what the city needs. As a matter of fact, I plan to practice what I preach and take a daytrip to Gulfport.