My Perfect "5-minute face" + Best Dazzleglass?

GirlyDork

WARNING: THIS IS A VERY LONG THREAD THAT ASKS FOR SPECIFIC HELP. REPLY ONLY IF YOU HAVE ENOUGH TIME!

Those of you who have seen and/or responded to my threads in the past probably know what this is about. (The title is a no-brainer, too.)

Anyway, I'm trying to give myself a makeover, both on the inside and outside. Before I do major work on the inside, I need an outside makeover. Feeling and looking good helps me feel better.
thmbup.gif

You may wonder why I need a makeover. Well, shit happens that puts me in a pit of depression, therefore I become prone to laziness and not taking good care of my appearance and health. I really don't remember how to take care of myself like a normal person anymore.
thmbdn.gif

Here's the main problem I'm having with the makeover: the "5-minute face". For me, it's easiest to go all out with full face makeup or wear no makeup at all. There's nothing in between for me right now. It's also annoying knowing that a full face of makeup will be sweated off when I have P.E. and track at school. (I'm a 14-year-old freshman in high school. I'm also pretty out of shape physically, so what may be easy or relatively painless for a fit teenager in my class can be much more difficult for me. Such struggling to work out causes me to sweat more than some of the other kids in my class and on my school's track team. Fun times, fun times...)

Basically, I'm asking for help with a fast makeup routine in the morning before school.

My skin is oily and acne-prone with some redness, breakouts, and a lot of blackheads on my nose. I think I may also have faint acne scarring. My eyelids are also oily and I tend to have dark under-eye circles. As for my skin tone, I would describe it as fair-to-light. I'm almost positive that it's cool-toned, but it can appear yellow-toned at times. I still think I get a cooler-toned pink in my cheeks when I blush or my body warms up when I exercise.

My eyes are blue. Some people say they are "sapphire blue". All I know is that my eyes are on the darker side of medium blue with darker rims around the iris that contrast with the white of my eyes. My eye shape has been described as "on the smaller side" and "deep-set". When I say "deep-set", don't think of "prominent" or "round"! I have learned that there's a difference. (Grrr, I'm so mad that Photobucket isn't working right now!)

My natural hair color is medium-to-dark brown. My eyebrows are naturally dark and thick, but usually waxed or tweezed to be thinner in shape. My eyelashes are lighter than my eyebrows, and possibly a little bit lighter than my natural hair color. However, I don't have a problem with them being too straight. I guess my eyelashes are in good enough condition, but I wish the tips weren't so much lighter than the rest of the lashes and that they were naturally longer, darker, and thicker. Nothing an amazing mascara can't fix...

I don't know if this info is needed, but my face is round and my lips are average-to-full.
th_dunno.gif

Recommend whatever makeup routine you want, as long as it's fast enough for someone who wakes up late in the morning and none of the products test on animals. (I say that if companies need to test their products, they should test on prisoners!
tong.gif
)

ANOTHER QUICK-ISH (YET RANDOM-ISH) QUESTION: I'm super excited for MAC's upcoming Double Dazzle collection! I've never tried a Dazzleglass before, but I love the super-shiny look on my lips! Let's hope that permanent Dazzleglass = LOVE!
mac_haul.gif
Anyway, what Dazzleglass would most likely look best on me from your knowledge of what I look like? I love flattering shades of pink and colors with unique shimmer or glitter in them.

Thank you all for your time. I'm sorry for my lack of ability to summarize, and for stupid Photoshop not working at the moment! Maybe when Photoshop does work, I'll post a picture of myself with no makeup so you guys have a better idea of what would look good on me.

XOXO Peace & Love,

Sarah

sweatpea559

"They should test on prisoners." That's funny!
thmbup.gif

First of all I would recommend a good skin care regimen. You should wash, tone and moisturize twice a day. Use a light moisturizer with spf in the mornings. I would also recommend exfoliating and using a facial mask for oily skin once or twice a week to help control the oiliness and blackheads.

As far as makeup, since you said you wake up late and have oily skin I would recommend a powder foundation. Maybe MAC studio fix powder? That way you could also take it to school and touch it up after PE. I would also recommend blot powder for further touch ups so you don't end up looking cakey. For circles under the eyes try a concealer formulated for the undereye area (they can be found in drugstores or as your MAC MA which formulation would be best). Also, maybe try using a primer under the foundation to help control oil and make your foundation last a little longer (MAC Prep + Prime SPF 50 and Smashbox photo finish light seem to be good for oily skin). Other than than that a simple blush is all you really need for your face.

For your eyes I would recommend UDPP! It'll help control the oil. You don't even necessarily need an eyeshadow on top if you want it to be low maint. If you want to wear eyeshadow I would recommend nuetrals for school so it's not as noticable if you start to sweat it off in PE. If you could get a neutral quad or palette you could take with you that would be even better. Just add a coat of waterproof mascara and a little eyeliner (optional) and you're set.

Just apply a little gloss and carry it with you in your bag.

Summary of morning routine:

1. Wash, tone, moisturize
2. Prime
3. Concealer + Foundation
4. Blush
5. UDPP + e/s
6. Mascara + Eyeliner
7. Gloss

It might take you 10 minutes the first couple times, but once you get it down it shouldn't take longer than five minutes (skin routine not included), especially if you keep the eyeshadow simple.

I really hope this helps!
smiles.gif

gnat

I agree with the above, but I would add eyelash-curler to the routine! In my opinion it makes all the difference. Also, if you like bright lipcolors you can skip the eyeshadow and just go with the udpp.
I think a fresh face, well groomed eyebrows and a minimalistic makeup routine should make anyone feel better about themselves (on the outside at least) =)

anita22

Funnily enough, I too find it difficult to find a happy medium between no makeup at all and a full face. It's taken me a looong time to work out a 5 minute version that I'm comfortable with. I think what it comes down to is finding those couple of products that really make the most difference for *you*, and then skipping over the extras. For some people, concealer makes all the difference in the world, and for others it's lipstick.

Anyway, so here's mine. I have very oily skin and eyelids, & usually if I am doing a '5 minute' face I find for me it's easiest to keep it simple, soft and natural... anything more than that and I end up spending too much time on it.

- Tinted moisturiser - I use Clinique Moisture Sheer Tint on '5 minuute face' days as it has a matte finish that is great on oily skin. It's more like a sheer foundation as it has more coverage than your average tinted moisturiser, but can be applied very quickly! Yay.

- MAC Studio Sculpt Concealer - especially under the eyes as this brightens me up

- MAC Blot Powder - great for oily skin, I also use this to touch up over the day

- Brow powder - this makes me look a lot more polished & tidy, not sure what colour to recommend for you? I have dark hair & use MAC Brun eyeshadow

- Eyeshadow - if I'm in a rush, I love using MAC Paint Pots or Bobbi Brown Longwear cream eyeshadows. You can just smudge them on and go without worrying about being too precise, and they last really well on oily lids (or can be used as a primer under other eyeshadows). I just use MAC Bare Study as it's a nice, natural shimmer that I'm sure would suit anyone with a fair-to-medium skintone

- Eyeliner - if in a rush I just use a black or brown pencil

- Mascara - MAC Plushlash

- Blush - This really makes me look so much more fresh and awake. Usually I pick something soft and matte like Stila blush pan in 'Cream', or MAC Dame

- Gloss - definitely the easiest thing for lips when in a hurry. I really like MAC Viva Glam VI SE, or Slimshine in Bare (it's almost a gloss!)

That's it! On full face days I'd do a lot more with eyeshadow, bronzer, lipstick, etc, but this is about as much as I can pare it down without feeling naked :)

GirlyDork

Wow, this was very helpful! Thank you! But I still wonder about the Dazzleglass...if I had to get one, what should it be? I know, I'm a bit difficult. Sorry about this!

blinkymei

love alert! dazzleglass is my all time fave gorgeous sheer red that I believe is flattering to anyone and the glitter/pearl is really gorgeous, it gives any lipstick color that you can use as a base a little umph or by itself, I love it a lot

NeonKitty

I understand your situation completely, as I am prone to depression and neglecting my appearance as a result, which is a vicious cycle. If you don't look good, you don't feel good, then you are even less likely to take care of yourself. My daily work makeup routine has to be quick or I just won't do it 9 times out of 10.

I work 12 hour shifts that are physically intensive, so my makeup that I do put on has to last.

I also have very fair skin and dark hair, although my skin is very dry/combination, and I have uneven skin tone/redness.

My 5 minute morning routine:

1. Mild cleanser, tone, moisturize (one with spf preferrably)
2. prime
3. tinted moisturizer, quickly buffing away the edges
4. Neutral paint pot on eye
5. Concealer under eye
6. Quick sheer blush
7. Mascara (waterproof, smudgeproof)
8. gloss (something bright)

Carry in your bag:
1. blot powder compact (with mirror)
2. gloss/lipstick
3. makeup remover wipes in case it all falls apart before the day is out. I'd rather have a clean bare face than one where the makeup has broken down completely.

Additionally, because I work 12 hr shifts, I have to get up very early so I have to compress my hair and body care similarly. I shower as soon as I get home the previous day, let my hair air dry if I'm not going anywhere, then straighten before I go to bed. In the morning, hair goes in high ponytail, touch up straightening, add a cute barrette or ponytail holder, hairspray and go!

Hope that helps.

*edited to add that I will also fill in my brows with shadow as well.