My Weird Demo Today...

tabou82

OK, after months of lurking around my neighboring M.A.C counter, I decided to put in an application in October 2007. Earlier this week, I recieved a callback from the new counter manager to come in today for an interview. Well, I was super psyched about it to say the least because I have always wanted to work for M.A.C. Suprisingly, I wasn't nervous leading up to the demo but today I was all nerves!

Since my Bestie went to ATL for the weekend and my little sister went back to college, I asked my Aunt to be my model. I've never done make-up on her before so I did a practice run prior to the interview just to get a feel for her features, undertones, likes and dislikes cosmetically. She doesn't wear make-up, only kohl eyeliner and is very conservative. I chose to use Arena, Swiss Chocolate, Corduroy & Shroom for her day look with Blacktrack fluidline, Zoomlash, PeachTwist Blush, Cork, Honey Flower & VGV for lips. She has very good skin so there was no need to use concealor or full-coverage foundation. This was acceptable to her and that is the look I completed for the "daylook" during the demo.

Well, when I arrived on time, many of the MUA were pretty scattered (my interview was for 1pm) so I asked one of the MUA if the manager was present as I was there for an interview. Everyone was very nice and when the manager came out she was really sweet. She's new to the counter so I don't have a feel of her personality but she seemed genuine and I like her. She stated that she would be with me in a minute which gave me time to calm my nerves. When she returned from the back, she asked me if I was ready to get started on the demo. I was a little taken back because I'd read all you guys posts where you verbally interviewed first or prior to the demo. I guess I thought I was going to be able to sit down first and let her get a feel of my personality and love for M.A.C. but I dove head first into the demo.

Because I'd read so much on Specktra about sanitation procedures, I was already pretty well-versed in what to do but she still gave me run a down of how to properly santize which I sucked in like my last breath. She told me what to do and what not to do and she stated that she'd prefer for me to ask her if I had questions then just do something incorrectly. She stated that she was not going to hover and that I had 45 minutes to do a daylook and then turn it into a night look. So I grabbed all of the products that I was going to use...strobe cream, prep+prime, Select Tint NC45 (because my Aunt does not wear foundation and has great skin) , loose powder, all the shadows, blushes, and lip products I was going to use. It was a little adventurous because the other MUA's were also doing make-overs and customers were piling at the counter. I sanitized my hands first, my workspace, my hands again, then all of the products and brushes. Then I went to work on my model.

The only negative is that my Aunt absolutely does not have any eyebrows so I literally had to draw them on which I'm not sure if the manager liked or not but I felt the make-up would have been incomplete if I hadn't. The entire time I'm talking to my Aunt like she is an actual customer that I don't know and I am explaining the different eyeshadow textures, why I chose certain products for her, how to use the brushes and explained the differences, asked what was her normal skincare and make-up regime as well as explained VG HIV/AIDS and
B2M. My Aunt actually was quite surprised by all that M.A.C. does as far as giving back to the community and its consumers.

When I completed the daylook, I called the Manager over and basically went over what I did and why. It was weird because she didn't really offer any type of critique, she basically just asked questions about why I chose certain products and then she asked my Aunt if she liked it and if she felt that she could recreate the look at home. I was kind of expecting her to say something about areas to improve, if any and just state what she liked/disliked but she didn't. I moved on to the night look and I basically added Da Bling, Hepcat and Carbon to the eyes, darkened the blush and lips ever so slightly. My Aunt has really full lips so I shied away from using too much gloss but I didn't want her have a flat matte lip either so I used a little of Deep Attraction on her. I felt both looks turned out really pretty and my Aunt was satisfied plus another model commented on how pretty my Aunt's make-up was. FYI: A customer had a MUA ask me about the color combo I wore which was Metal-X Blue Storm, Deep Truth, Saddle, Corduroy & Mylar. It rocked!!!!

So after I completed the night look, I called the manager back over and basically explained what I'd done and why I used those colors and what not. I was a little puzzled by her reaction because it was the same as before... no critique, no nothing really. During the process, I kept my workstation pretty clean and well-organized and I did my own runbacks while waiting for the manager to come over. I definitely wanted them to know that I am not messy and I am responsible for items that I use. I'm kind of OCD about organization and cleanliness. Anyway,, she then said, "Thank you for coming in today" and turned around. I was flabbergasted because I was thinking that after the demo, I would have time to sit down with her for a verbal interview but it didn't happen. She wasn't mean or anything but I was obviously expecting more, I mean all of the demo/interview posts here consisted of some type of verbal interview. I really wanted to speak with her one-on-one but she didn't give me a chance so I thanked her and left. I almost cried but Best friend calmed me down. I just don't know what to do or what to think. I don't know if I did well or if I did terrible, would they consider me or never consider me. I hate not knowing one way or the other. She didn't even say she'd call me if they wanted to have a second interview or anything. I just feel lost in translation
ssad.gif

Anyway, that was it...weird as it might sound. Nevertheless, I still heart M.A.C. and I know that M.A.C. hearts me.
yes.gif

Janice

Thanks for sharing your story, best of luck with your hiring process. Keep us updated, I want to know what happens!
smiles.gif

ductapemyheartt

it sounds like you did a really good job...way better than my demo interview, lol. maybe they were really busy or something and she is going to call you back soon for a verbal interview?

good luck with everything!

georgia7377

The same happened with me... in a way. After demo they said thank you someone will be contacting you soon. bye.
I was confused??? I applied at a Macy's MAC, and ended up getting hired at a Pro MAC freestanding store(never have worked for MAC). Crazy!!! Been there a week and love it. No worries, chances are you got it.
th_cheerup.gif

MelodyKat

Don't freak out! It seems like she wanted to see how you worked under pressure...as part of the team. When I was a manager there were times we didnt hover. Goodluck!!!!!

yummy411

i totally understand how frustrating that is. good luck to you and sending you good vibes that things will turn out great!

Bernadette

It sounds like you did an amazing job! I suggest dropping off a thank you card to her. Thank her for her time and the opportunity. Tell her that you are looking forward to hearing from her soon. Keep it short and sweet, maybe add somthing short about your passion for the position but don't go on and on. Maybe five lines or less. Good luck, we're rooting for you
th_DANCE.gif
!!!

newagetomatoz

Awww, have faith! It seems like she is really new to being a manager and how the hiring process works. If the other MAs saw your work and feel that you'll be a great addition, then I wouldn't worry. I think you'll get a call back!

productjunkie

This happend with me as well.
The manager just came back and said to my model "look up. close your eyes" etc.
Then she sent me on my way. I got hired though, so i guess i did an okay job.
Good luck!

sexychefva804

good luck!!! You're brave and confident during the demo. I sometimes joke to myself bout bcoming a MUA, but my brushes would be all over the floor. I think you accomplished one of the hardest things in make-up application: adding natural brows! and under pressure too! "That right there" (sorry I'm southern) deserves an award!! Good Luck!

baybehbekah

i had my demo today and it wasn't weird but i feel like i could have done better, but then again i am always second guessing myself
th_confused_new.gif
the trainer was super nice and i felt like she really liked my answers to her questions and she commented on how nice my blending was, my color choices and so on. i talked about the products and why i used certain things and i explained VG & B2M. my model was great and asked alot of questions so i could express my product knowledge. the only time she commented was when she asked me to do an "amy winehouse" type liner and this really berry/raspberry lip. so i did it and even though it wasn't perfect, between the time constraint and my nerves it looked good. she showed me a way to do it and i copied her and really did appreciated her advice. she told me i went above and beyond what was expected and how i explained things to my model. there was a moment that i stepped away to grab a product and a customer stopped me. it was funny because i was kinda excited that someone asked me to help them, thinking "oh man if i help her then they have to hire me!" haha but the girl asked if they were hiring and started asking alot of question. all in all i think it looked good and at the end of the whole thing the store manager and account executive said i did a really nice job and that someone will be calling me. so who knows.
ssad.gif
winkiss.gif

i know it sounds like it went well but i just don't have the best feeling about it, but like i said before i second guess myself all the time! so if i get hired i doubt it will be for the store but for a counter, which i think i would prefer anyways, but we shall see. just wanna get in! it's like, i know i did a good make up, and i know i can always learn more, but did they like my spirit and drive?! thats the question!
th_DANCE.gif

tabou82

Hey Ladies, thanks for the encouragement!!!!!!!! I really hope that I get an offer to either work at the counter or freelance. It's been a few days and I haven't heard anything but I believe that they are still conducting interviews. Bernadette, I took your advice and dropped a thank-you card to the manager so hopefully she will remember me throughout the interview process! Keep your fingers crossed! I don't expect to hear anything back this early but I've been on edge ever since the demo...why oh why is M.A.C like this???!!! Seriously, M.A.C. is addictive...I'm like a junkie looking for my next fix (LOL)...I hope they call soon!

I will definitely let you guys know what happens!

tabou82

Quote:
Originally Posted by baybehbekah
i had my demo today and it wasn't weird but i feel like i could have done better, but then again i am always second guessing myself
th_confused_new.gif
the trainer was super nice and i felt like she really liked my answers to her questions and she commented on how nice my blending was, my color choices and so on. i talked about the products and why i used certain things and i explained VG & B2M. my model was great and asked alot of questions so i could express my product knowledge. the only time she commented was when she asked me to do an "amy winehouse" type liner and this really berry/raspberry lip. so i did it and even though it wasn't perfect, between the time constraint and my nerves it looked good. she showed me a way to do it and i copied her and really did appreciated her advice. she told me i went above and beyond what was expected and how i explained things to my model. there was a moment that i stepped away to grab a product and a customer stopped me. it was funny because i was kinda excited that someone asked me to help them, thinking "oh man if i help her then they have to hire me!" haha but the girl asked if they were hiring and started asking alot of question. all in all i think it looked good and at the end of the whole thing the store manager and account executive said i did a really nice job and that someone will be calling me. so who knows.
ssad.gif
winkiss.gif

i know it sounds like it went well but i just don't have the best feeling about it, but like i said before i second guess myself all the time! so if i get hired i doubt it will be for the store but for a counter, which i think i would prefer anyways, but we shall see. just wanna get in! it's like, i know i did a good make up, and i know i can always learn more, but did they like my spirit and drive?! thats the question!
th_DANCE.gif

I am sure that you did great!!!! I hope that you get the job!!!!! Don't second guess yourself, be confident and I am positive that you got this one in the bag!

shorty

Its so nervewracking!!! I have my demo on Wednesday I just wish I knew exactly what they would ask me to do before hand! Will it be a copy of a face chart? my own look? something natural? something dramatic? haha my mind is goingcrazy but I cant wait!
greengrin.gif