Nail polish's drying out?

glam8babe

I want some nice new nail varnishes and i love O.P.I and Nails inc.
however... im scared that they might dry out quick? like ive picked about 8 colours i want and earlier today i chucked out some old nail polishes [none brand ones i had years ago] and i was thinking if i pay all the money for the o.p.i and nails inc polishes would they dry out within like a year or so?

browneyedbaby

I've never tried it personally but apparently storing nail polish in the fridge stops them from drying out... which you may have heard before.

I only use OPI polishes and mine are all fine, most are well over a year old. I don't store them anywhere special, just on my dressing table in their OPI rack (but out of direct sunlight).

Applegreen

None of my OPI polishes have dried out (oldest ones I've had for a year and a half). I'm not sure if it's necessary to keep your polishes in the fridge... I'm storing mine in a cool (preferably +20'C tops), dry place and protected from sunlight. Even if they did seem to dry you could just add a few drops of thinner and they'll be good as new - or even better.

iSHi

I have a ton of polishes i've had for over 2 years and they're doing just fine. I don't keep in them in the fridge; they're sitting on my desk with limited light and are still fine. I think just limited the exposure to sunlight will help. I've heard of people keeping their polishes under their beds in a box. Also shake the bottles every couple of months. That helps out as well.
smiles.gif

MiCHiE

I had some for years. Your personal collectio in better off than a salon stock because it's not used as much. Keep them in a cool, dark place and they'll be fine. No bathroom storage, just like makeup.

pahblov

If they start to get a little goopy, try putting a couple drops of nail polish remover in them and then rolling them between your hands to mix them. You should roll them instead of shaking them, or you might get little bubbles in them. Another good thing to do is put two little ball bearings in them, if they don't already come with ball bearings inside. MAC polishes do!

MsCocoa

I agree with the others as long you store them correctly they'll be find, I personally leave mine in the fridge because my house is so hot.

newagetomatoz

I agree with storing them in a cool, dark place, like a fridge. I actually have some nail polishes for years that are still good. I also remember hearing or reading somewhere that if a nailpolish is starting to go bad, like tacky all the time, that you can add a drop or two of nail polish remover to losen it up. I'm not sure if you want to try this on your OPI, but maybe on some older cheaper and bottles to see if it works. HTHS

user79

Quote:
Originally Posted by pahblov
If they start to get a little goopy, try putting a couple drops of nail polish remover in them and then rolling them between your hands to mix them. You should roll them instead of shaking them, or you might get little bubbles in them. Another good thing to do is put two little ball bearings in them, if they don't already come with ball bearings inside. MAC polishes do!

I def don't recommend putting remover in nailpolish, I've tried it before and it causes really weird discoloration in the nailpolish colour, some have gotten like dark gray swirl stains in them now and I had to chuck them. I think it was a chemical reaction gone bad.

You can buy nail polish thinner at some drugstores though.

MiCHiE

Quote:
Originally Posted by MissChievous
I def don't recommend putting remover in nailpolish, I've tried it before and it causes really weird discoloration in the nailpolish colour, some have gotten like dark gray swirl stains in them now and I had to chuck them. I think it was a chemical reaction gone bad.

You can buy nail polish thinner at some drugstores though.

I agree. Many people will argue that removers and thinners are basically the same, but they're not. Removers are specifically made to break down polish, not preserve it as thinners do.

eye_pr0mise

Quote:
Originally Posted by pahblov

yea i've done that before & it works great. not too much polish remover. though hehe. ( i learned that the hard way )

Latest posts