Nars Foundation

kare31

I love NARS Balanced Foundation. I use this in the winter and fall, when my skin gets a bit dry. It has medium coverage, doesn't oxidize, doesn't irritate my skin in any way.

MAC_Pixie04

I use their Balanced Foundation in Tahiti (I'm nw45 in MAC shades) and it's the perfect color match. Even though it's not oil free, it's good for oily skintones. It gives me a natural look, not too dry looking and not greasy. It's long wearing, has medium-buildable coverage, and a little can go a long way, especially since I apply it with a Stippling Brush and buff it in on top of a primer. It's a little bit pricey but so worth it. You can get a sample of it at a NARS counter or at a Sephora store. And a full sized sample will last over a week,which is about how long you'll need to wear it to determine whether it'll work for you or not. Their shades aren't as wide in range as MAC or other lines, but it's not impossible to find a match. Most of their shades are neutral undertoned.

MAC_Pixie04

Tahiti isn't the darkest, Jamaica is darker, but it has yellow undertones. Tahiti is neutral with like reddish undertones, but it's not totally orange like most of the darker MAC NW40+ shades. It's perfect on my skin.

Whats your shade in MAC, I could probably tell you from that.

noahlowryfan

Quote:
Originally Posted by MAC_Pixie04
I use their Balanced Foundation in Tahiti (I'm nw45 in MAC shades) and it's the perfect color match. Even though it's not oil free, it's good for oily skintones. It gives me a natural look, not too dry looking and not greasy. It's long wearing, has medium-buildable coverage, and a little can go a long way, especially since I apply it with a Stippling Brush and buff it in on top of a primer. It's a little bit pricey but so worth it. You can get a sample of it at a NARS counter or at a Sephora store. And a full sized sample will last over a week,which is about how long you'll need to wear it to determine whether it'll work for you or not. Their shades aren't as wide in range as MAC or other lines, but it's not impossible to find a match. Most of their shades are neutral undertoned.

if i am a NC30-35 in MAC, what shade would i be in NARS? i want a shade that has yellow undertones.

MAC_Pixie04

I lied...give Barcelona a try. I read your post as NC45 like my lol sorry. Those other two would be far too dark.

so_siqqq

I love NARS OIl Free Foundation. I've been using it for a month now and love it.

I wear Fiji in Nars and MAC NC25. I really like Nars because they have a lot of yellow undertones where as MAC comes out kind of orangey. It has light-medium coverage.

The loose powder is amazing too! It makes the foundation look softer and adds a little bit more coverage.

It's pricey but it lasts a long time. I've had the same bottle now for a month and I still have more than 3/4 left.

MAC_Pixie04

Quote:
Originally Posted by ebonyannette
Im Nw55 in SFF

Hawaii is probably your shade, unfortunately it doesn't come in the oil free formula, but I have oily skin and the balanced foundation hasn't hurt me a bit. i use it very sparingly and ontop of a primer and cosmedicines medi-matte, that way it doesn't settle into my pores.

gohgoomah

just going to revive this thread, any other ladies want to share their NARS foundation reviews? i've heard NARS foundations have very good yellow undertones (or at least the ones that do) and was debating to go ahead and give them a try.

can anyone tell me what the difference is between the balanced and oil-free foundation(aside from the obvious oil free difference :p)!? in terms of coverage, how it feels on.. etc?

Kuuipo

I think the oil free formulation is slightly more coverage. There is quite a bit of dimethicone in the formula-something found in primer products for smooth coverage. Don't apply with a brush or sponge. Melt it into your skin with your fingers (clean fingers). For heavier coverage you can use skin blotting papers and reapply. (use non powdered blotting papers). I like the consistancy of the oil free even better than Laura Mercier's. It doesn't run or streak in the heat and humidity, and it doesn't break me out.
It's a very natural finish product. Since I'm into really matte,smooth skin I blot, apply powder by pressing it in with a puff, buff, and repeat a few times. My makeup just looks like perfect skin, it stays that way too without any retouches (just blotting papers).

Love Always Ivy

i use the NARS oil free in Sahara. i love it. it never breaks me out (the only other brand ive found that doesnt is MUFE). the color stays true and doesnt oxidize - i love the feeling of not having to worry if im suddenly MORANGE).

i decant a little bit in a sample jar (like the pigment sample jars) and i dip my sephora stipling brush lightly in it and buff it all over my face. a little goes a very long way. the coverage is great, it covers most of my redness and some dark spots from acne scars. i dont even have to set this with a powder. it takes care of alot of large pores i have around my cheek area too. ive never had issues with it rubbing off my clothes or scarves (and i bury my face in my scarf when its cold)

it has KAOLIN clay in it, which is also found in alot of purifying masks. this helps condition the skin.

HTH

kensbarbie1017

NARS makes 2 liquid foundations in the same bottle. THe oilf ree is medium-full coverage and can be kind of difficult to spread. It defintley gives a flawless look. This isnt just for oily skin, my skin is dry and if i'm going out and really need my foundation to last and get full coverege i use this one. On a regular basis, i use balanced. Its a very lightweight light-medium coverege foundation. My skin is hypersensetive and i have no problem with either foundation. most of the shades are yellow toned (except for 4 in balanced and 2 in oil free...the 2 in balanced are dark shades for most likely b lack women). Also, the shade names are the same but the shades arent identical. For example, just because you are St tropez on oil free dosen't mean you'll be st tropex in balanced. St tropez in oil free is closer to barcleona balanced.

loci

Tried the compact powders...it gives me breakouts.
The oil-free liquid foundation is really think, almost like a lotion. I am not used to that lkind of texture (feels heavy on skin as well).

kensbarbie1017

Quote:
Originally Posted by shellyshells
anyone know any nars foundation equivalent to mac nc40?

Check out the following

Oil free:St tropez
Balanced: Barcelona

A barcelona and st tropez exist in both but the colors are inconsistent IMO