natural lighting

RandomnessWithK

Hi Everyone!

so I finally have my vanity all set up, only thing i'm missing is a mirror and lighting..

my question is.. i need some advice on good lighting.. i'm looking for either lights on it's own, or attached to mirror that i can place on my vanity (or a small/medium sized one to go on the wall)

i'm looking for lighting that has the most natural lighting possible. most ones i've used have yellowy lighting which after i put my makeup on and go outside, the coloring is ALL off when i'm out lol..

either that or the lighting is too dim and when i go out, realized that i've put wayyyyy to much eyeshadow or blush LOL!

so what do yall use for natural lighting (besides sitting by a window for those that have that option)

th_dunno.gif

myluckypenny

[h=2]Copied and pasted from my MUA thread: [be warned, this is going to be a geeky interior designer's answer to your question][/h] [h=2][/h] [h=2]ANSWER to your issue from a design perspective w/ lighting: new building codes require fluorescent +[/h] lighting to fulfill energy requirements to be efficient. I live in California, and title 24 restricts the amount of incandescent [sucks up energy/old bulb styles] to be used.

Energy efficient lighting such as fluorescent or newer LED style lighting is on the cool end of the color spectrum VS. the warmer yellow tones that incandescent lighting offers. This may be why your foundation looks wonky when you select it in-store/indoors VS natural daylight because efficacy comes into play when having to pay the electricity bill. It's more economical to save the planet and some $ than to have perfect color rendering in stores.

Lighting that best mimics natural daylight/white light or neutral light has a Color Temperature (CT) of 3500K - 4100K. Anything higher produces a blue toned light (Fluorescent or LED) and anything lower is yellower (incandescent). One of the closer light bulbs to use to mimic daylight is Halogen bulbs, but those are expensive, and they heat up like crazy... I know this might be a little too geek for most to care, but for those that are hardcore about your vanity set-ups, that should help you in selecting the lighting that goes around your mirrors. If you cannot afford Halogen bulbs, you can always try your hand at mixing different types of light bulbs together to get the color balance you are seeking with your lighting, but that can be both challenging and straining on your electricity bill. Just look for lights w/ bulbs that produce between 3500 - 4100k, and you'll be fine. =D

Another tip: when lighting your mirrors, overhead lighting casts unsightly shadows and defeats the purpose of illuminating your space to better see what you are doing. I see this problem all too often in people's homes. To eliminate this problem, flank your mirror's sides (left and right) with lighting to evenly light your face. Avoid doing the Hollywood style mirror that has lights all around it because that will just wash you out w/ overlighting, and you'll end up putting more product on your face thinking it's fine, then going out and thinking, "OMG, what did I do to myself?!" =P

When I selected my foundation, I made sure I was there in the afternoon so I could step outside to take a gander at my face or took a few samples home to try. Also, I know some makeup counters have the vanities where you can change the lighting from day/night/work/candle lighting. I think my local Chanel counter had one - so you can always try using those to help you determine what you were looking for in color w/ foundation.

Hope that helped. =D