need advice from theatrical mu expert

sdpfeiffy

I've been cast in an arena production. Director wants straight stage makeup. My kit is ancient (15 years old?) and I'd like to get a new personal kit. I'm trying to decide between shades in Ben Nye. I'm NC40 ish with very yellow undertones. Would light-medium or or medium-deep in the olive work better for me? Also, should I get just the personal kit or would it be best to get the creme kit? Thanks for any advice you might have.

martygreene

I advise getting a full kit, not one of the small little "personal" kits. Unless you are particularly fond of Ben Nye, I might suggest Mehron's Celebre line. It's hypo-allergenic, the olive tones are GREAT, and it's a mineral-oil free formula. It's very blendable and many of my acresses love it.

Other than that, I'd say the Ben Nye matte foundations are the way to go. I'm not crazy about their standard stage cremes- they tend to cause skin problems when used regularly as you do in a production.

Do you have a Ben Nye dealer in your area? I strongly reccomend going in and checking out their test boards and find which shades are best for you, and get the kit that contains the colors closest- and get the shade that matches you separately if you need to.

A full kit is something you will DEFINATELY need if you are persuing an acting career.

aeni

x2 on going to a store and trying the tester boards then getting a kit.

trick: get a shade slightly darker than your skintone as the stage lights will wash you out (nothing like a photo though).

martygreene

aeni is correct that in most cases you want something slightly darker. Check with your director and costume designer/makeup designer to be sure though- some productions prefer you go a little lighter, or stay with your natural color. Really- it's a good idea to have all three of those shades in your kit, along with all the other items you need.

sdpfeiffy

Thanks thanks thanks to you all! Unfortunately, I'm in the middle of nowhere, so I'll have to order online. I think I will look into the Mehron line as well. The personal kits do look so small--I'll take a look at something more robust.

As for an acting career--well it would be something very very small scale
smiles.gif

Again, thanks so much for your recommendations. I've been away from the stage for much too long!

DaizyDeath

I really love Ben Nye. Like the other girls said you will want to select a shade for you thats around 2 shades darker due to the lighting and matte.

You might have a stage shop in your area usually their hidden preety well so i would look in your phone book.good luck