Need help with school type!

Appletini

Hello everyone :)

I'm a make up artist, I'm currently freelancing but I don't have any license or certification. I've been doing make up since I can remember, but professionally from about 2 years ago. My question is what do I need to legally freelance or work in a professional salon / environment? What kind of school will give me the right to work as a MUA? I'm very interested in Make-up Designory (MUD) but unsure what kind of paper I will get. I want to go to school that gives me not only the knowledge but also a title. Please girls, let me get it straight.

Thank you!

Ant0inette

It's really tough to say because each state requirements are different. I definitely know if you have a cosmetology license that you are certified to do makeup, but I also know makeup artists who do makeup under their esthetician license. I live in New Orleans and down here we have a makeup application license which you get through the Louisiana State Board of Cosmetology. I personally feel deep in love with makeup when I went to school for hair, so I have a cosmetologist license and a makeup application license, but I still do hair as well so I have to keep the cosmetologist license current. Here is where it's gets a little difficult my love, certain companies i.e..MAC will not accept your cosmetologist license or esthetician license when you try to get your pro discount. Well let me rephrase that, they will, but you you are only eligible for 30%. You can't receive the full 40% discount unless you are a makeup artist. Then to prove you are a makeup artist you have to show a shit load (excuse my french) of proof to receive it. Normally when you are freelancing, especially starting out you don't have those credentials yet and they take time. The same goes for certain companies that you might want to work for some will that esthetician license some won't. Nearly all will take the cosmetologist license, but who wants to be stuck learning about hair if you are only interested in makeup. Now if you have have a amazing portfolio, some won't care what you have and what you don't. The best thing to do is contact your state board of cosmetology and they can tell you what you need and what you don't need. Call around to some of your local salons that you are interested in working at as well and see what their requirements are. What state are you in? I'll do some research for you.