Need some advice regarding a transaction

CreamPuffer

Mods,

I wasn't sure where to post this so if it's in the wrong section then I apologize.
Also this is going to be really long, sorry.

I had a transaction with someone on lj, that has gotten pretty tricky. I sold this person a bn quad and a very rare 90% full matte pigment. As you know with mattes the volume is usually less than when it comes to shimmery/frosty pigments so I did mention that in the sale. Anyway, the pigment was 3/4 full. Also I did initially purchase it from a member in here and it was over a year ago.

Anyway, a month after the whole transaction, the buyer messages me saying that he/she doesn't think it's real. I guess he/she compared it with his/her current pigments. I explained that since this is a discontinued pigment and very old that the packaging has gone through some changes. Anyway, I assured the pigment was authentic and that he/she could verify that by checking with other people. Anyway, the result was that the pigment was authentic but was not in oj (still a mac jar). Honestly, I had no idea that it was not an oj and a mac glitter jar or something like that. Anyway, I felt really bad that I had never noticed and I totally get that some people can be anal when it comes to jars so I said that I will give him/her refund once they send the pigment back to me. At first the buyer asks if maybe I could give a discount since the jar was not oj. I offered $15 off because its just a jar although a hard one to come by. The buyer declines and opts to return the pigment.

The buyer ships it really quickly and so far the whole exchange was civil. Anyway, I get the pigment and check it and there is one problem. The jar is now at a 1/2 mark. At this point I felt really uncomfortable about asking the buyer why there is .25 missing but at the same time I can't ignore this because it's a discontinued/rare pigment. I email the buyer and the response was that when he/she got it originally, he/she didn't feel like it was 90% and that the 1/2 mark was how it arrived originally. I'm sorry but there is no way this is true. When I shipped it, it was 3/4 period. Also if it did arrive 1/2 full like the buyer says then why didn't he/she say anything. Especially, someone who is so anal about a jar (which is understandable). How do you accept a pigment when it is 1/2 full, even though seller states it's 90% and picture shows it was 3/4? I emailed the buyer and told him/her that I can not refund the full amount and it will be have to be partial. I'm not sure how much to take out though. Either way I have the feeling the buyer will not agree because he/she is denying using/spilling any. Also the buyer has since opened a dispute. I would let this go if it wasn't for the fact that this is a rare pigment and lot of money is involved.
Anyway, I just need some advice. Should I just let it go and refund the full amount or am I right at this point? Also how much should I not refund and how is paypal going to resolve this? Thanks in advance for any advice.

sofie1507

u should fight your corner for sure!!! refund what she paid X 0.66... she used a third of what was sent to her...and sent 2/3 back.i hate it when people do this... i cant use my paypal cos someone decided to do a claim back...not i owe paypal £85 AND dont have my products!!!! what kind of an unair world do we live in
ssad.gif

Skin*Deep

I would stand my ground as well. when you get your chance to give your side of the dispute, you state exactly what happened: the product was not returned in the same condition, therefore you cannot sale it again for the same amount, which puts you out money. not okay. I wouldn't let them get away with it, I hate it when people think they are so smart and tricky and just want to get something for nothin *snort*

angi

Do you still have the pictures and statements from the thread/ or old emails etc that said that pigment was 90% full and that she knew before the transaction went ahead? If you do you could provide that as evidence to Paypal, as it helps to throw doubt on why it was that she waited a month to contact you. If you had listed the pigment on your sale as 90% full, then it would be a reasonable expectation that if it arrived 50% full then she would notify you as soon as she got it, which she didn't.

Khalia25

Quote:
Originally Posted by angi
Do you still have the pictures and statements from the thread/ or old emails etc that said that pigment was 90% full and that she knew before the transaction went ahead? If you do you could provide that as evidence to Paypal, as it helps to throw doubt on why it was that she waited a month to contact you. If you had listed the pigment on your sale as 90% full, then it would be a reasonable expectation that if it arrived 50% full then she would notify you as soon as she got it, which she didn't.

I completely agree with this. If you have all your documentation, I would follow through with what this poster said. Good luck. I hope it works out in your favor.