Need to desperately break away from neutrals..

Civies

So I went to depot all my shadows today and I noticed that all my eyeshadows are pretty neutral other than aquavert which I've never even worn before
th_confused_new.gif
. The furthest I'll go is sumptuous olive
cutey.gif
. I do have pigments in violet and pink pearl but I never wear those either!

I just started collecting MAC not too long ago and I don't know how to break away from my lovely neutrals and into more fun colours! I'm looking for colours that are easy to work with and not too difficult to pull off. I have brown eyes, dark brown hair, nw25 skin, any recs are welcomed but I'm not very much into blue (although I love colours like birds and berries from GMLOL)

Junkie

Haha, I'm totally opposite of you :p

I love my blues, purples and reds - anything in the spectrum. I have a lot of good neutrals but never wear them. The colours I shy away from are pinks and greens, but I'm learning to incorporate them even if its under a layer of my regular eyeshadow - just to bring a out a peak of a colour I don't normally use. I did this recently with expensive pink and it was really nice. Same with wearing green all over for the first time - I got 3 compliments while working and the most I ever get is maybe one...lol

You can even try using it as an eyeliner - over or under your regular liner - or as an accent in the crease, highlight, or inner corner. Just throw some in! With colour, you can't really make mistakes!

PlatinumV

The best thing I can say to you is that you cannot pretend to change all your way of wearking make up in a week. So, start with calm just adding some more "colourful" eyeshadows to your palette.
Just choose colours which are more vivid but still subtle, that can be blend easily with your neutral tones. So you won't suffer a sort of shock looking at the mirror. Because if today you get the shock, tomorrow you will escape again in your "neutral tones prison". So, gradual.
Try with adding colours like these (from the MAC collection) that are suitable for your hair/eyes/skin:
- orange
- juxt
- blackberry
- bitter
- lala
- crystal
so, as you can see, colours which are subtle but still with accent of fun! Then, after a while, you will be able to "see yourself" with more aggressive tonalities!

blazeno.8

Well you could try being bold with the colors that you do have. Try wearing out pink pear with a black in the crease and see how you like that. Or try playing around with the placement of pink pearl, violet, black, and a highlight color. I think once you're comfortable with the placement of brights, you might want to venture out and try other things.

January

A few suggestions, color, but wearable...
Beautiful Iris, Shale, Star Violet, Expensive Pink, Sweet Lust, Steamy

Civies

Thanks everyone for their unput, greatly appreciated!

Baci, that's great! Your looks are the best
cutey.gif

Quote:
Originally Posted by PlatinumV
The best thing I can say to you is that you cannot pretend to change all your way of wearking make up in a week. So, start with calm just adding some more "colourful" eyeshadows to your palette.
Just choose colours which are more vivid but still subtle, that can be blend easily with your neutral tones. So you won't suffer a sort of shock looking at the mirror. Because if today you get the shock, tomorrow you will escape again in your "neutral tones prison". So, gradual.
Try with adding colours like these (from the MAC collection) that are suitable for your hair/eyes/skin:
- orange
- juxt
- blackberry
- bitter
- lala
- crystal
so, as you can see, colours which are subtle but still with accent of fun! Then, after a while, you will be able to "see yourself" with more aggressive tonalities!

I'm not trying to go from neutral to bright blue everyday, I'd just like to incorporate it slowly (that's why I asked for not so scary colours that I can work with)
smiles.gif
Thanks for the suggestions!

BEA2LS

lol i'm trying to break into neutrals for the first time in my life!!

the eye liner idea is a neat way to add color.. it would be stuble and break you in.. if bright liner isn't your thing, a trick is to put on black liner and at the very edge of it, use a brighter color over top on the wing in a very thin line. i hope that makes sense
smiles.gif

another thing is to try more natural shades of colors.. like instead of purple, try a deep eggplant or a deep dark navy.. or you could go for a super sheer formula of a bright shade as an eyelid wash than you could put your regular liner over and use a more netural color in the crease.. or of course you can blend in a brighter color in the crease as mentioned before.

Civies

Quote:
Originally Posted by January
What color are you going to try out first???
smiles.gif

Probably something like shale or stars n' rockets! I'm going to pick up humid tomorrow, I'm not afraid of greens haha!

Quote:
Originally Posted by BEA2LS
lol i'm trying to break into neutrals for the first time in my life!!

the eye liner idea is a neat way to add color.. it would be stuble and break you in.. if bright liner isn't your thing, a trick is to put on black liner and at the very edge of it, use a brighter color over top on the wing in a very thin line. i hope that makes sense
smiles.gif

another thing is to try more natural shades of colors.. like instead of purple, try a deep eggplant or a deep dark navy.. or you could go for a super sheer formula of a bright shade as an eyelid wash than you could put your regular liner over and use a more netural color in the crease.. or of course you can blend in a brighter color in the crease as mentioned before.

I always do a coloured liner on the lower lashline just to make a pop with my neutrals but thats about all i ever do !

Simply Elegant

I always pair brights with a neutral colour on the lid. Or use brighter colours on top of black.

I like nocturnelle, beautiful iris, fig 1, plumage

hawaii02

^Me too! I may take a coral color (Free to Be and the like) and wear it with Woodwinked. My sister has blue eyes and I encouraged her to wear Humid with Very Violet (Spring Collection). Or since its Saint Paddy's Day, Lucky Green and Humid. Hope this helps!

PlatinumV

Another thing you could try is the common "smokey in neutral tones" but instead of using pink and beige graduation, try for a, maybe, light blue or a soft violet selection... (ie: for the violet you can try with crystal, idol eyes and parfait amour!... then in the future, after you have escaped your neutral tone prison, you can add a deeper colour to this set, ie contrast, for recreating a more dark and chic smokey without changing the other colours!)

Junkie

Maybe you could try bright paintpots too? They're cool bases on their own - use them as a wash and then do your neutral thing in the crease and such
smiles.gif
All the blues are awesome - I'd definately recommend Otherworldly because you can tone it down with a lighter colour overtop - like Arctic Grey or Crystal and still get that pop of colour. Plus it gives off this duochrome effect depending on how the light hits your eyes!

Civies

Not really into paintpots because they crease on me no matter what but I get what you're trying to say! I'll probably grab more nyx jumbo pencils since those don't crease and try your suggestion Tiffany
smiles.gif

Junkie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Civies
Not really into paintpots because they crease on me no matter what but I get what you're trying to say! I'll probably grab more nyx jumbo pencils since those don't crease and try your suggestion Tiffany
smiles.gif

Same with me....I leave them open for a few days to dry them out. It changes the texture so they're not as greasey and they get sorta sticky instead. They stay on longer a lot better - and I would know....everything creases like no other on me! I've got super oily skin.

Bonitinha

I have dark brown hair, brown eyes, and medium skin. I wore only neutrals on my eyes for years and years. I still love them. However, now I absolutely love purples (Beautiful Iris on the lid, Nocturnelle in the crease, Vanilla as highlight -- can add Shadowy Lady to outer V and lower lashline for nighttime smokey look -- black liner). Or greys/silvers like Electra on inner 1/2 of lid, Silver Ring on outer 1/2 of lid, Knight Divine through crease/outer V -- black liner. I love Smoke and Diamonds on the lid (if they re-promote, buy!!) with Nehru in outer crease and Soft Brown blended just above crease with black liner on lashline. These are ways to add colour -- but not too bright or scary. Just a few ideas
smiles.gif

Civies

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bonitinha
I have dark brown hair, brown eyes, and medium skin. I wore only neutrals on my eyes for years and years. I still love them. However, now I absolutely love purples (Beautiful Iris on the lid, Nocturnelle in the crease, Vanilla as highlight -- can add Shadowy Lady to outer V and lower lashline for nighttime smokey look -- black liner). Or greys/silvers like Electra on inner 1/2 of lid, Silver Ring on outer 1/2 of lid, Knight Divine through crease/outer V -- black liner. I love Smoke and Diamonds on the lid (if they re-promote, buy!!) with Nehru in outer crease and Soft Brown blended just above crease with black liner on lashline. These are ways to add colour -- but not too bright or scary. Just a few ideas
smiles.gif

Thanks for all the suggestions, I'll definitely try! I have smoke n' diamonds and it's gorgeous, I just recently got it and never really got around to playing with it yet.

I love silvers but I have no idea how to work them as silly as that sounds. I always have a hard time with them, I can never pack on enough colour
ssad.gif
I have silverthorn. Do you have any suggestions? Do silvers need more work or what haha

Quote:
Originally Posted by Junkie
Same with me....I leave them open for a few days to dry them out. It changes the texture so they're not as greasey and they get sorta sticky instead. They stay on longer a lot better - and I would know....everything creases like no other on me! I've got super oily skin.

My soft ochre pp is pretty dried up and it still feels the same! I just hate using paint pots because I hate using my fingers, the pp always gets into my nail and I hate using brushes for creamy things
ssad.gif
weird, I know. Oddly enough quite natural doesn't crease on me like soft ochre does so maybe I'll try others

PlatinumV

Quote:
Originally Posted by Civies
Not really into paintpots because they crease on me no matter what but I get what you're trying to say!

do you use an eyeshadow base?

Civies

Quote:
Originally Posted by PlatinumV
do you use an eyeshadow base?

Yes, I use UDPP. Paint pots crease on me no matter what