Needy customers

MACa6325xi

Quote:
Originally Posted by lara
...that sounds suspiciously like borderline bullying the customer into a purchase.

Nyla did the right thing by offering suggestions and testing the product on the customer, it's not something she can help if the customer just flat-out refuses to make a decision or even agree or disagree with the items being suggested.

I have had an MA pick out every damn thing for me and he was not a bully. He explained why he picked it and why it would be a good choice for me. It was up to me to decide if I wanted it or not. He also explained how to apply and use each item. I was lucky, he had time to do this. Not everyone has the time he gave me. There is nothing wrong with someone picking out colors or making suggestions. The MA has to know how to do it.

No one is criticizing the MA here. She did her best and it's not easy dealing with customers.

shadowaddict

OK, sorry I'm not a MA but I think you did very well by that customer. You treated her with respect and suggested products without being pushy and snobby. And even though she didn't seem happy she must have been or she wouldn't have asked if you could do a makeover on her some other time. Like someone else said she may be new to cosmetics and quite possibly felt intimadated. I bet when she put on her new products she felt prettier than she has in a long time. I know that she surely tried your patience but she probably appreciated your help and treating her with dignity. Hell, you may be the only one who has treated her that way in forever. So, be proud that in the most trying situations you gave great service. I'm sure you're wonderful with all your customers and that's why they return.
yahoo.gif

Bernadette

I've experienced customers like this as well and it is beyond frustrating. Whatever their reasons are for being pretty much impossible, as the person trying to help them, you end up feeling helpless. I know that I don't want to sell someone something that they aren't sure they want.
For some reason the times I've had these types of customers it always involves finding lip colors. Also, often times, although they have no idea what they want they seem to know that they hate everything you show them. Plus, that lovely air of irriatation with you the MUA for not being psychic and picking out the perfect whatever for them. Some people just won't give you a damn inch. You can investigate your heart out and nope, nothing. All the while ten other customers are scouling at you because you are "ignoring them" even tough you're trying your best to accomodate and acknowledge everyone.
Whatever people are saying about how it's your duty to do whatever the customer needs etc. It is your duty to do the best you can but no, the customer is not always right. There are people that are impossible and being psychic isn't in the job description. The people that don't understand that, well start a private consulting company and pick out a lipstick for those customers that shuffle in and announce that they "Don't like pinks, peaches, browns, plums, reds, oranges, nudes, anything too forsty, anything too matte, anything too glossy and is this long wearing?" Or the ones like this girls customer that "Don't know."
rant.gif

redambition

Quote:
Originally Posted by MACa6325xi
I have had an MA pick out every damn thing for me and he was not a bully. He explained why he picked it and why it would be a good choice for me. It was up to me to decide if I wanted it or not. He also explained how to apply and use each item. I was lucky, he had time to do this. Not everyone has the time he gave me. There is nothing wrong with someone picking out colors or making suggestions. The MA has to know how to do it.

No one is criticizing the MA here. She did her best and it's not easy dealing with customers.

i've also had MAs pick out colours for me - and ended up with brilliant products that i love and use. the big thing here is that the customer has to decide if they like what has been picked out for them. if they don't like the result, then there's no point in them purchasing the product. I think this crucial bit was missing in Nyla's experience.

Nyla - I think you did a great job. it's difficult enough helping someone who has no idea what they want or are looking for (mea culpa, i'm so guilty of this!), but you need to rely on them to make that decision on whether they like the way it looks. if they're not giving you any kind of feedback, better to sell them less rather than more.

User67

Quote:
Originally Posted by nunu
there are people like that, especially people who just start to wear make up. I'm sure she asked you for your opinion because she wants something that suits her and thinks of you as a MUA so she looks up to you and values your opinion. I am like that sometimes, i ask for the MA's thoughts because i don't know whether it suits me or not. I feel sorry for her. I know it gets frusterating but she wants to look good and she came to you for help and you have given her the help she needs. She felt comfortable dealing with you and thats why she requested you for the make over.

User67

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shimmer
Yep.
Then she'd get home and have buyer's remorse for spending so much money and return it all within three days. Maybe keeping a lipstick.

Side note:
if an MA suggests 'mommy colors' to me, I will tell her where to stick it. I may be a mommy but I'm not dead, dying, or colorless.
smiles.gif

User67

Quote:
Originally Posted by Janice
Sounds like she needs a lobotomy more than a facelift.
greengrin.gif
rofl.gif

Please remember this is a forum for MA's, the OP didn't post this thread to receive criticism or suggestions or for us to speculate on why this customer acted the way she did. Sometimes it's just nice to vent with fellow MA's who can identify with the "interesting" and unique customers they run into.

nunu

you did the best you can to help the customer, but you are 100% right about her not being really intrested!
you are only human, i don't know what i will do if i was in your shoes. You handeld it well.

missmarkers

i have dealt with soooo many customers like this. they seem to gravitate towards me, i swear! but when people are really vague about what they want, i start asking them about what they currently wear, because most people like this don't want things that are *that* different from what they normally wear. i pick out some neutral eyeshadows and ask them what they think. i do it on one eye so they can see how it looks and and show them how i put it on and why i used the colors/textures/products that i did and why it compliments them.

i definitely agree that picking out lip colors can be SUCH a nightmare sometimes! i think people have a hard time articulating what *kind* of lip colors they like to wear and can't identify them by looking at them. i try to get people to look around or pick out a color from on i've chosen based on their input. but i *HATE* when they want to try on like 5 different pro longwears since they're a pain to apply (with a brush) and remove.

i had a customer last week who hated the eyes i did, even though she picked out half of the colors, stared at the mirror and said "i just want something kind of dark. something fun." i asked her if she wanted to pick out some colors and that i could work with those and she picked up the mirror again, stared for 20 seconds, and said "just something fun." fun can mean ANYTHING.

when it comes to customers who aren't specific about what they are looking for and don't have solid opinions about how they like something, i tell them why i like it on them and why it suits them. but those are also the customers who tend to spend a lot (full makeover) that i fear will return everything.

*KT*

CS vents are my favs because it just shows how people act in just about every CS environment is much the same. Gives me all kinds of funny flashbacks about old clients. Of course, funnier now then when I had to deal with it.

I used to have a client (retail, non-makeup) who was the same way... and she was mine, all mine. /dies She'd come in multiple times for 1-2 hours at a time before making a decision. Ultimately, I tried to view it that she obviously valued something about my service. Whether it was my suggestions, my honesty, or whatever, but I tried to temper my annoyance by looking at it as a compliment that she wanted me involved in the process... painful as it was.

Nyla's was one worse though... at least mine had some signs of life. =)

Though you might dread a makeup session with her, it truly is a compliment to you that she wants you back. Maybe she thinks you and your makeup are beautiful (truth!) and respects your makeup choices because of it or maybe no one else has been as sweet in helping her and offering suggestions.

So bright side is, it's a compliment... and you have funny stories for us!
lol.gif