New Mac hire, questions about starting.

missmarkers

Hi! I just got hired at a Mac store and was wondering what it's like for the first week. I'm sure that they don't just throw you out there and make you sell sell sell.

Will I be reading materials/handbooks (and studying them), working the register, answering phones, cleaning, learning about the products with another co-worker?

I'm totally nervous and totally excited! Thanks!

GreekChick

If you haven't gone to Basic, you won't be thrown out there and expect to sell like a madwoman. It's understandable, however your goals (and you) are closely watched. And that's for the first 3 months. However, cleaning (and lots of it) will be expected of you, as well as being on the lookout for clients.
Simply mirror what everyone else is doing and you should be fine! After Basic, product knowledge, as well as great customer service will be expected from you.

missmarkers

thanks! i'm actually going to basic at the end of the month so i'm hoping that i'll feel much more confident about being on the floor after that!

diorgrl

Hi there! I also just started this week - I went in for paperwork and it ended up being my first day b/c they were busy! I was pretty much thrown in, I was a bit nervous but it was fine! Still need to remember how to use the register though... :p My next shift I'm pretty much working! No shadowing or anything... the girls were great and they said I'd be just fine and nothing to worry about. I'm just going to read the manual they gave me and do my best!

FacesbyNiki

Man, speak for yourselfs. My first day, I was given a brush belt with like 6 brushes and had to jump in because it was so crazy.
lol.gif

calbear

OKAY - i was just about to say the same thing - they threw me to the wolves my first day. Didn't have my work brush belt with all the shiny new brushes so they handed me the brushes leftover in the freelance jar and told me to get to work.

Hold your head up and work it like you mean it - you got hired so they have confidence in you.

ms.marymac

Third...I was thrown in as well, during an event. Just do your best and ask questions if you need to. You're lucky! I didn't go to Basic until I had been with the company for about 6-7 months!
lol.gif

missmarkers

this sucks, i guess basic is full so i will have to wait until the next one. the mgrs said that they will help me learn about the products and the asst mgr is *such* a sweetheart!

i also had another question or two about gratis. i start on sunday, the mcqueen collection is already out (i think?), so will i get any of it or will it depend on my mgr? and i will be working in a store so i think i read that all freestanding stores will have the collection.
do i get gratis when i start or do i have to wait until the ems time schedule starts?
and when do i get my discount?? there's sooo much stuff i wanna get!

if you can help answer these questions, it would be awesome but i'm also assuming that some of it depends on my store.

thanks again for the help and info
smiles.gif

FacesbyNiki

Gratis depends on your manager. Everyone gets it at different times. I got mine the second week I worked. Another girl from my basic said she got hers the first day. So it depends.

Since you are at a store, I'm sure your discount will start your first day. Ask your manager.

lipshock

Quote:
Originally Posted by diorgrl
Any gratis for new Freelancers??!! ;(

Hm, I thought this was answered already.

Gratis is for permanent employees not freelancers. But there are some managers thaat might be willing to give whatever is "left over" to their freelancers. I would not go into working with MAC as a freelancer expecting to get gratis.

FacesbyNiki

Quote:
Originally Posted by diorgrl
Any gratis for new Freelancers??!! ;(

Depends on your manager. Each makes their own rules regarding this. I know of some managers who have regular freelancers and they make sure they get some gratis. It really does depends.

FacesbyNiki

Quote:
Originally Posted by lipshock
Hm, I thought this was answered already.

Gratis is for permanent employees not freelancers. But there are some managers thaat might be willing to give whatever is "left over" to their freelancers. I would not go into working with MAC as a freelancer expecting to get gratis.

I've seen that some do. I was staff, no biggie, I'm freelance now and I love it. I do it because I love MAC and I love doing make up. It's not big deal if I get gratis or not. I have my pro card. I feel, if you are freelancing for any company, do it for the love of the art, not for free stuff.

MissVivaMac

Quote:
Originally Posted by missmarkers
Hi! I just got hired at a Mac store and was wondering what it's like for the first week. I'm sure that they don't just throw you out there and make you sell sell sell.

Will I be reading materials/handbooks (and studying them), working the register, answering phones, cleaning, learning about the products with another co-worker?

I'm totally nervous and totally excited! Thanks!

I am fairly new at M*A*C and I was to shadow my mgr the first day and then I was kind of on my own after that. However all the girls have been super nice and helpful. Also, I received gratis the first day of past collections I wasnt able to be there for but had already been hired. I work at a retail location and I wanted to use my discount the first day so my manager called the freestanding store for me and I was able to go in and SHOP!!!! I start BASIC next week (After about 3 weeks of working), YAYYYYY!