NH League of Craftsmen Fair: Amazing Skills

COBI

Every year, hundreds of juried craftsmen descend on my area of NH for the NH League of Craftsmen Fair. To be a member of the League, the craftsmen must go through the League’s jury process for membership and meet its rigorous standards for creativity, innovation, and technical expertise, benefit from the League’s quality reputation.

The end result: a display of amazing skill and talent in one spot. And people come from all over New England (and apparently around the world) to visit the fair. In addition to display/sales booths, the fair offers demonstration tents and live music. The artisans are fantastic about sharing their knowledge and talking about the processes that they use.

My purchases this year (all are handcrafted by the artisan):
From Elkin Studio Jewelers (www.elkinjewelers.com), this necklace is actually a replacement for a (nearly) identical one that purchased years ago and has been missing for years now.

The process used is called Mokume Gane.
08-08002.jpg

From Caitlin Burch Glassworks (www.caitlinburch.com). Caitlin is one of the artisans that I find myself purchasing from every year. All of the beads are created by Caitlin.
08-08003.jpg

From Tsuga Studios (www.tsugastudios.com), this is a rolling red wine decanter. I'm not actually a big red wine drinker, but I was taken by the simplicity and beauty of this decanter IRL.
08-08006.jpg

If you're ever in the NH area in early August, you should definitely take a stroll through the fair. Even when you're not buying, the skill you'll see is amazing.

www.nhcrafts.org

bellaboomboom

So cool! God, I would have loved to go there! Thanks for sharing pics of your beautiful finds
smiles.gif

My parents used to live in NH and I miss going to all the lovely stores. I am a country decor nut.

They took me to a place called Corrections Creations (or something like that) where men/women in prison were allowed to sell their art/craft work. I forget what town it was in but I got some nice hand-made items.

COBI

I know there is a place near the state prison that sells work from prisoners. Some of their pieces are also displayed/sold at arts centers.

There are some amazing furniture pieces that come from the prison.

I am actually a fan of modern decor versus country.
smiles.gif

kaliraksha

Great choices, I'm quite fond of the first necklace. Thanks for sharing, I had no idea anything like this existed (especially with the jury process).

COBI

I was speaking at some length with Rick Elkin (who made the first necklace.) He became of a member of the NH League while he lived in NH for over 20 years, but now resides in New Mexico. They attend shows throughout the country, but he stated that the NH League Fair is one of the best shows of its kind in the country.

I am fortunate that they hold it so close to where I live. Bought three more pieces yesterday (2 earrings from Caitlin Burch and a necklace for T Breeze Verdant):
fair.jpg

Modmom

You bought yourself some beautiful pieces. I especially love that necklace in the last photo, very beautiful.

I'm a huge supporter of handmade. I've been doing juried shows myself since 1996. It allowed me to be a stay at home mom for over 10 years and I'll always be thankful for that. I've altered a few times what I do, but the last 5-6 years I've been creating wall art from upcycled cupboard doors. I paint sayings on them in an antique style.

I'm starting to cut back the number of shows I do now, but I still love visiting and shopping at them. Thanks for posting your finds!