No Justice!!

prettysecrets

Heres the long story made short:

12/03/08

I was pulled over by the police and given a citation for driving w/o an adult, which was in violation of my learners permit.

01/13/09

I went to court for an arraignment, in which I was told when I had to be back in court again.

03/31/09

I go to court, show my drivers license to the cop that pulled me over and a lawyer,spoke to a judge, the case was dismissed. I'm told I'm free to go.

05/08/09

I recieve a postcard saying theres a warrant out for my arrest for failing to appear in court
th_dunno.gif
and I must appear in court or my license will be suspended.

The following Monday...

I go BACK to court ,explain my situation. They say they can't find my file, they will cancel the warrant and contact me.

6/03/09

I recieve notice from the secretary of state that my license has indeed been suspended...
angry.gif

which leads me to believe the warrant was never canceled and I was all but ignored by the employees of the 36th district court who were supposed to help me.

6/04/09

I must once again contact the court and ...and I have no idea...

This is insane. I understand that mistakes happen. I thought I did my part on taking care of the mistake but this just keeps dragging on and on.

I'm so frustrated!! *sits by the phone waiting for 8am to contact the court,AGAIN!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

UPDATE:

I called and was directed to the court clerk (the same OLD b!itch who said my file couldnt be found and that the warrant would be canceled...)

I explained the situation and she put me on hold...I heard her in the back round saying something about her driveway and television..

she put me on hold to finish the conversation she was having before I called...WOW..

Again she tells me my file can't be found and she will call me back...I explain, close to tears, that If I'm pulled over I will be arrested ..she says I know , I will call you back...

36TH DISTRICT COURT IS SO GOT DAMN GHETTO AND UNPROFESSIONAL ITS ASHAME.

bis

I hope you get this sorted out soon. Being caught in the clutches of an administration is a nightmare.

gildedangel

Honestly, call a different district close to yours and see if they will help you out, they may be able to at least point you in the right direction, make sure to explain that the people in the 36th are @-holes. (Not quite like that but you get my point). If not, write to a higher court, there should be measures in place to correct this but it could depend on the state. Talk to your Sheriff's Department as well, if you tell them that the warrant was supposed to be invalidated then they will call the courthouse, who can't find your file and has to tell them that there is no warrant.
smiles.gif
Worst comes to worst you may have to take legal action against the courthouse. Good luck on resolving this well before that point hun!

chiquilla_loca

I think your best bet, is to go in person, and don't leave till you get things straightened out!
Question: Was the citation valid? Did you just have a learner's permit? or a valid driver's license? If you did violate the law, they probably wouldn't have dismissed things so easily, and if they did, they should have given something in writing.
I had the same prob with a ticket, and having to go to court multiple times. The police officer scheduled a court date on a Friday, and there's no court in session on Fridays. ??? go figure.

Side note: If you ladies get tickets, and have the opportunity to go to traffic school, Take It! Tickets can really affect your insurance premiums.

bcsweetascandy

I hate dealing with the local government...your best bet would be to appear in person at the district court...they can't "put you on hold" while you're standing in front of them, hehe. You can always ask to speak with a supervisor or manager when you arrive since you've had so many issues...

kaliraksha

I abhor dealing with local courts... you have to keep everything in writing, log it, ask for names and reference numbers, and ask for written confirmation many times. It sucks. Due to an error in the choice of words of the court scheduler my bf had an warrant for his arrest and didn't get to dismiss his ticket... we ended up paying like $1300.

prettysecrets

Quote:
Originally Posted by chiquilla_loca
I think your best bet, is to go in person, and don't leave till you get things straightened out!
Question: Was the citation valid? Did you just have a learner's permit? or a valid driver's license? If you did violate the law, they probably wouldn't have dismissed things so easily, and if they did, they should have given something in writing.
I had the same prob with a ticket, and having to go to court multiple times. The police officer scheduled a court date on a Friday, and there's no court in session on Fridays. ??? go figure.

Side note: If you ladies get tickets, and have the opportunity to go to traffic school, Take It! Tickets can really affect your insurance premiums.

The citation was valid , I had my learners permit and wasn't supposed to drive w/o an adult.

The case was dismissed, the laywer told me to not plead guilty, because the case would probably be dismissed because I had a valid license since my citation.

It was dismissed , and I sadly did not recieve any papers saying so, the nail in the coffin!

I figured the laywer, the cop ,the judge,and the court clerk would be witnesses that I indeed showed up, but I guess not...

So I'll be back there again a 4th time. If I were to file a complaint whom would it be to? someone suggested calling my local news, but I dont want to be on TV. lol.

User35

I know it sucks to have to be dragged around by the court system but you have no idea how busy courts are. Yes it looks like someone dropped the ball somewhere along the way but courts are busy hectic places with a ton of paperwork and red tape, that crap happens...sucks but its true.

Next time dont break the law and be subjected to the court system

chiquilla_loca

Put everything in writing like you did here, who you spoke to, names of the judge, lawyer, date of court appearance, time, etc... contact the state dept of dmv and make sure you explain the situation, so they can review the suspension of your license. Call them and ask for the special investigators unit.

prettysecrets

Quote:
Originally Posted by NatalieR429
I know it sucks to have to be dragged around by the court system but you have no idea how busy courts are. Yes it looks like someone dropped the ball somewhere along the way but courts are busy hectic places with a ton of paperwork and red tape, that crap happens...sucks but its true.

Next time dont break the law and be subjected to the court system

...I don't care how busy they are. They are paid with MY tax dollars. I did my part and THEY are in the wrong.

Part of their job is to fix the mistakes THEY MADE.

I fixed what I did wrong. I did what I was supposed to do.

...Thanks for your helpful input...

..This court system has been sued and has had many complaints filed against them..

This is not a matter of busy people, rather people who hate their jobs and obviously can't do them right.

User35

Well thats your opinion and you have the right to it. Ever think that they pay taxes as well? yep they do they go back to the state and court system as well. And yes they have made a mistake, Im sure they are human and make mistakes like all of us. As for complaints and lawsuits on that court??? Whoop dee doo...people are sue happy idiots.

anywho moral of the story:

ranting , raving and complaining usually doesnt get you anywhere, and blaming an entire department on one experience you've had with them isnt fair either.

thats my 2 cents, and yeah I guess Im kinda partial to people who dont break the law.and Im pretty much a bitch so go figure. I do hope you get it all sorted out, I cant say I know how you feel but I bet it sucks.

Latest posts