no more pigments samples?

cyndi

Hi there,

I went to Yorkdale Mall (Toronto) today to check out the ungaro collection. I bought some ungaro products and I asked for a pigment sample and the MUA told me that they don't give out pigments samples anymore because people are trying to sell them on ebay.
ssad.gif
Are they NOT doing pigment samples else where as well? I've gotten pigment samples from them before, has their policy changed?

Thanks in advance!

Ruby_Woo

We don't give pigment samples either. Its not only the ebay thing, they can sell em on websites like here, MUA and other ones, those are not reasons I was given, I was just told no more pigment samples. But it makes sense.

abbyquack

I think that might be based on a the counter's policy, not MAC as a whole. I'm pretty sure the counter I shop at still gives samples, because the tester was almost entirely empty of one of the GF piggies within 2 days of the release! So I'm guessing it's kind of like the depot thing: some counters do, some don't. Although I wouldn't be surprised if MAC stops, because who needs to buy a $20 jar if they can get a sample that will last them plenty?
th_dunno.gif

calbear

We had to stop giving out samples...it got ridiculous. People would come in with a list of pigments on launch day, demanding samples and if they felt like you didn't give them a big enough sample they would go crazy.

We have a small counter and don't receive much stock so an entire pigment given out as samples when we only received 6 for the launch is just bad business. People would come to buy the pigment and we'd be all out and not getting anymore.

panther27

^^^^Yeah it is people like that who ruin giving out samples.It is one thing when you are spending money there and to ask if you can have a few samples.But the people that go in and demand samples like that is so wrong.
ssad.gif

jaclynashley

That would be terrible !
I like to usually try out stuff before I buy it and it's one thing swatching the color of an eyeshadow but I just find it impolite for myself to dig into a pigment to see the color .
It is unfair that people take advantage of samples and sell them here .
I mean it's one thing selling samples from YOUR pigment jar and selling it but not the MAC stores .

AllisonWeaver

I was told a few months ago that MAC was no longer giving out pigment samples by the manager of a local MAC counter. Other artists are more than happy to give them out. I'm sure a portion of the reason the other artists will is because I'm a repeat customer and they're loyal to me in a way (I'm sorry, I'm not quite sure how else to describe it, and I think that gets the idea across.. not the best choice of words, though!), but the main reason they'll give out samples is they aren't as strict about following policy as the manager is. If you have a strict artist you most likely won't get them.

capmorlovesmac

A few days ago at my local Mac pro store I asked a MA if they give away pigment samples - I was curious because I heard a lot about samples at youtube and testing a pigment before buying wouldn't be wrong I thought.
The MA however told me that they don't give away samples anymore. He didn't mentioned the ebay thing - he said that if they give away the samples and there is no label with the ingredients or usage (maybe the thing that some pigments aren't for the lip area?) they can be sued
hmm.gif

Well if I like a pigment just because of the colour I can see through the container I'll buy it. But I am a little bit awkward so I decant a little bit of pigment in a smaller jar for my daily usage so that I don't have to open the whole container with all of the pretty pigment every day and the size of the pigment sample jars would be perfect. Those travel jars you can buy are a bit too big for that and the smallest ones are two screwed together jars - I just don't like that
ssad.gif

*KT*

^^ whenever I buy full jars, I ask for a couple empty sample jars. I'm honest with them and just say, "Hey, I'm a damn klutz in the mornings. Could I get a couple sample jars to put a little pigment into so I don't spill the whole jar down the sink?" They've always been happy to oblige.

I am a klutz! I also work for a busy ophthalmology practice, so the idea that I could easily pick up pink-eye at work also makes me not want whole jars of pigment 'exposed' to my eye.

If they don't want to give them to you, there's always e-bay. Search for 3 gram or 5 gram jars and you can often get 25 of them for under $10 including shipping.

MsSassyThaang

I was just at the MAC counter in Nordies (Cerritos Mall ,CA) this week (Monday) and I the MA was super nice and she gave me 2 samples of pigments from the Gold Fever collection. This is where I do my main MAC shopping and I did spend $65 on that trip so not sure if that helped me get samples lol
smiles.gif

Distinque

My MA also gives me pigment samples but we're tight like that. I don't even have to ask she'll just give a couple of the ones she'll think I'll like. I also only buy makeup from her because I know each MA has a sale goal to reach.

pinklips1207

everytime i go to my local MAC I always end up paying over $100 and i want to ask for samples but then i get too embarass to ask b/c i feel like i'm askin too much...for those people in SAN DIEGO area which counter do you guys ask for samples?

Humeira

I always get samples ..for pigments lipgelee's. I even got samples for overrich collection ..i m in san francisco btw

The freestanding MAC store at Scarborough Town Centre had stopped giving out pigment samples months ago also, but the MA told me it was because people are asking for samples and not buying pigments at this particular store. Maybe the manager felt sales of full sized pigments had been going way down since people have been getting free samples? I feel each MAC counter and store is different, because I have gotten samples from other MAC counters and even the MAC Freestanding store at Bay and Bloor.

Randy Rose

In my experience it depends on your relationship with the MUAs. At stores where I'm friends with the artists, they always give me samples (very generous ones, at that), but at other stores it's been hit or miss. Certainly at the stores where I am not friends with the employees, they give me very stingy samples if any. But like I said, it depends on your relationship. I never shop at counters, because there is no pro discount, but for the past few years I lived about an hour away from the nearest freestanding, so I used to go by the counter to B2M, check out new stuff, and just talk shop with the artists. They always gave me samples of all the new pigments without my even asking.

panther27

ITA^^^^^I know a girl at my counter,she always hugs me when I come in,and is sooooo freakin nice.She always gives me full sized samples.I love going there,she is so much fun lol.She asked me to apply but I ended up getting a job right after that.But yeah,depends on who you know.
thmbup.gif

joey444

I agree. It definitely depends what counter you go to and who you deal with. I go to the same MAC counter most of the time and since most of the girls know me, I ALWAYS get samples. If I REALLY like a sample then I'll buy the whole jar but most of the time, the sample is more than enough.