Nordstrom Internship

MakeupMuffin

Hi, so I have an interview for a Nordstrom Internship. I find it odd because I applied for a sales position last month and they said I needed retail experience. I have none, but certificates in Makeup. The internship is like working sales. This is what the posting said:

"During your internship, you'll have the opportunity to experience customer interactions and receive mentoring and training in the exiting world of fashion. What's more, upon successful completion of the Retail Internship Program, you will be offered an Assistant Manager or salesperson position, depending on your availability and preferences."

Has anyone done this and later led to cosmetics within Nordstrom? Is there Assistant Managers in cosmetics? I'm thinking only counter managers? Does anyone who works at Nordstrom know about this?
Even if I didn't get a job in cosmetics, though I really want one, I wouldn't mind an Assistant Manager position or even a sales position. I've been unemployed for months!!
ssad.gif

Thanks!

amoona

I am going to fashion school and I was actually going to apply for this internship and my mind was quickly changed. I was told it's basically slave work and you don't really learn much if you've already had a basic retail job. I also spoke to my mother's friend, who used to be a human resource manager for Nordstroms and she also advised me away from the internship.

Nordstroms only hires from within so if you want to be a counter manager you have to start out in a sales position.

MakeupMuffin

Quote:
Originally Posted by amoona
I am going to fashion school and I was actually going to apply for this internship and my mind was quickly changed. I was told it's basically slave work and you don't really learn much if you've already had a basic retail job. I also spoke to my mother's friend, who used to be a human resource manager for Nordstroms and she also advised me away from the internship.

Nordstroms only hires from within so if you want to be a counter manager you have to start out in a sales position.

Really? Thanks for the info. I'm used to "slave work" I used to intern at a huge law firm in downtown LA. lol. Well, I really need a job so if I'm offered the internship I'm going to take it. As far as what happens after I want a cosmetic counter position depending on the counter. if not I'll take an Assistant Manager position.

amoona

If you want to get into management of any kind you have to start from the bottom up with Nordstroms. I know someone who was a department manager for Neiman Marcus for 10 years and tried to switch over to Nordstroms and they told him he had to start as a sales associate. So he just went over to Saks.

You're better offer applying as a regular sales associate because they'll pay you more and you'll make commission. The internship doesn't pay jack and you don't get commission.

MakeupMuffin

Thanks but my thing is that they won't hire me for a sales position because I have no retail experience so if this 2 month internship will help me get in then I'm all for it. That's funny that they would even say it may lead to an Assistant Management position when you say it won't.
th_dunno.gif

amoona

It could also be different since you're in the LA area. Everyone I've spoken to is up here in San Francisco. Hopefully what they're telling you is true because that would be awesome. I hear Nordstroms is a great company to work for and move up in. Keep us posted.

Skin*Deep

I was hired at Nordstrom's as a counter manager, having never worked for them before, so this is not necessarily true. With proper experience most companies will hire management from outside, though they may post the opening internally and try to promote from within, it is not always a rule.

BEA2LS

unless you really want to work at nordstorms, i would say to find a basic retail job else.. i worked retail and also at offices, and retail is much harder.. (i work in an office full time now, i do not think i could ever go back to retail).
a regular sales position elsewhere would probably pay better anyway. but of course this is up to you, good luck in whatever you choose.
smiles.gif

SmokeSignal16

I'm curious to see how this will play out for you! good luck! I do agree retail blows though, when I finish school I hope to never ever work in retail again!

ereye005

The Internship at Nordstrom is a broad aspect of the Retail Industry. As an intern, you will move from different departments, work in different positions, engage in management meetings, and various duties that reflect operating a successful department. At Nordstrom, the company culture is Customer service and they only promote from within. This is to keep the integrity of the culture and ensures that it is penetrated from Sales Associate to Upper Level Management. Please do not feel discouraged. To note, Nordstrom has been voted "Top 100 Companies to Work For" by Forbes magazine, 9/10 years in a row. Only a handful of companies have made the list, let alone consecutively, and since the creation of the list. Many interns have remained with the company and have been promoted. As an intern, at least you'll get a sample of what entails in a Makeup artist and lay the foundation for your future, pun intended
winks.gif