NOT washing your hair...

MissMisah

ok. so i learned a very valuable lesson about a year ago --- its really unnecessary/very very bad to wash your already damaged from dying/drying/frying hair every single day...

so (although it took a while to get used to) i went from washing it every day...to washing it a few times (2-3x) a week. i use the B&B hair powder or the Aveda pure abundance powder and some hairspray and im good to go!! (Soaks up oilies..revamps hair...etc)

my question is...how do u get away with NOT washing your hair, when you do major stuff like work out or go clubbing...cuz you know how you get all super hot and sweaty! its worked out cuz i onlee worked out a few times a week...but i seriously need to up it to like 6x a week. so how do i keep my hair all nice and "Fresh" ...when i have to work out and stuff???

Shimmer

rinse it with warm then cool water.
smiles.gif

ette

You are supposed to massage your scalp in the shower and seal the ends with conditioner on the days you aren't washing and want that "fresh" feeling.

CincyFan

I only wash my hair a few times a week. My hair is thick, coarse and color-treated so washing it everyday would ruin it. I do the conditioner wash on days I really need it, like after a workout.

The VO5 Moisture Milks and Suave Naturals are great for conditioner washes. I use the peach VO5.

MissMisah

Quote:
Originally Posted by CincyFan
I only wash my hair a few times a week. My hair is thick, coarse and color-treated so washing it everyday would ruin it. I do the conditioner wash on days I really need it, like after a workout.

The VO5 Moisture Milks and Suave Naturals are great for conditioner washes. I use the peach VO5.

so basically...i just skip the shampoo? and just condition the ends? wouldnt just adding water to an already oily scalp...just leave it oily? (sorry, ive never done it...so i dunno what to expect)

XsheXscreamsX

i have really thick curly hair, and i straighten it daily, so to even out the damage i wash it twice a week, maybe three times. On my off days i use a leave in conditioner. i just bought a new dove leave in mist for color treated hair. it works pretty well to "refresh my hair" I also use redkins smooth down heat glide, which keeps it moisturized and protected from my flat iron.

CincyFan

Quote:
Originally Posted by MissMisah
so basically...i just skip the shampoo? and just condition the ends? wouldnt just adding water to an already oily scalp...just leave it oily? (sorry, ive never done it...so i dunno what to expect)

You use your fingers to massage the scalp and break up any oils. Those conditioners won't leave a build up so you can use them without shampoo. Some curly girls never use shampoo, they only conditioner wash.

Scintilla

Like CincyFan, I do the CO (condition-only) too. It really cleanses even greasy hair. You just have to spend a little more time (and more conditioner), first massaging the conditioner in and then adding water little by little. Conditioners don't contain detergents but they contain emulsifiers which allow oil and water to mix (with a little massaging). So with the help of the emulsifiers you basically mix the oil in your scalp with water and rinse the mixture off.

I'd recommend a silicone-free conditioner for this as silicone massaged into your scalp can make it itch. Tigi Catwalk Oatmeal&Honey and the VO5 Moisture Milk CincyFan mentioned work best for me.

sewpunk

Quote:
Originally Posted by queenofdisaster
i use baby powder. i just rub it in my hands and through the greasy parts... works for me
smiles.gif

me too - I mostly do this after the gym. First I have to dry my hair (to get the sweat out), sprinkle in some baby powder at my roots, fluffy it around with my fingers and I am good to go.

Calhoune

Ahh, I learned this the hard way too... I was washing it every single day, and got massive hairloss due to it.

Washing everyday puts alot of stress on it and is just not, not good.

The biggest theif though is shampoo, and you should only use it 2-3 times a week.
If you are the active type, getting it sweaty and icky alot, wash with cold water, use a tiny, tiny bit of conditioner, then rinse out with cold water. That puts the least strain on the hair, but still makes it clean.

When in the middle of the week, and my hair needs a pick me up, I use Toni & Guys dry shampoo.
It's a spray, but when you spray it on your hair, it comes out a thin layer of powder, that I just brush in.
I also use the body powder from Lush in my hair. Makes it smell wonderful and makes it less greasy
smiles.gif

Since greasy hair is my biggest problem...

I hope this helped a bit.

MissMisah

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kyarorain
Ahh, I learned this the hard way too... I was washing it every single day, and got massive hairloss due to it.

Washing everyday puts alot of stress on it and is just not, not good.

The biggest theif though is shampoo, and you should only use it 2-3 times a week.
If you are the active type, getting it sweaty and icky alot, wash with cold water, use a tiny, tiny bit of conditioner, then rinse out with cold water. That puts the least strain on the hair, but still makes it clean.

When in the middle of the week, and my hair needs a pick me up, I use Toni & Guys dry shampoo.
It's a spray, but when you spray it on your hair, it comes out a thin layer of powder, that I just brush in.
I also use the body powder from Lush in my hair. Makes it smell wonderful and makes it less greasy
smiles.gif

Since greasy hair is my biggest problem...

I hope this helped a bit.

omg .. this was really informative!! thank you!!!
i'll def try the conditioner wash -- but i really wanted to avoid wetting my hair PERIOD! because...when its wet, my OCD is that i HAVE TO heat style it (my hair is just unruly/wavy if i dont
ssad.gif
) so yea...

have u tried bumble&bumbles dry shampoo? is it the same thing? cuz i still have that --- i just dont particularly enjoy the way it smells!!

and now i definitely wanna try out Lush's powder because im on a total lush kick right now!! which powder is it??

thanks!!

Calhoune

Quote:
Originally Posted by MissMisah
omg .. this was really informative!! thank you!!!
i'll def try the conditioner wash -- but i really wanted to avoid wetting my hair PERIOD! because...when its wet, my OCD is that i HAVE TO heat style it (my hair is just unruly/wavy if i dont
ssad.gif
) so yea...

have u tried bumble&bumbles dry shampoo? is it the same thing? cuz i still have that --- i just dont particularly enjoy the way it smells!!

and now i definitely wanna try out Lush's powder because im on a total lush kick right now!! which powder is it??

thanks!!

Never tried the bumble and bumble one.
Toni & Guy is a spray bottle, you spray a mist, and you get like wet powder. If you let it dry a bit (what I do) it gets dry and is easier to work with, just rub it on your scalp. Use it mostly on the roots, where you need it the most.
I like the scent of it, slightly vanilla-ish, and not too overwhelming

It doesn't really matter what powder to use, use the one you think smells the best. I use candy fluff or silky underwear, those smell the best, I think.

Just take a bit in your hand, very little, and run it through your hair, focusing on the scalp. Start with a little and build up more, make sure not to use too much >< That ruins it and you'll be forced to wash it out anyway.
Make sure your hair is completely dry when you use it, or the poweder will build clumps. So if you're sweaty, dry a bit with a towel first.
Don't have to be super dry, just not too much.

NikkiHorror

I'm resurrecting this thread because it's sooo helpful! I've heard it is bad to wash your hair every day, but it's hard for me NOT to! I just dyed my hair this amazing color, though and I want it to stay put. So shampoo a few times a week, but conditon every day in the shower, and use the conditoner like you would use a shampoo? Kinda scrub it into your scalp?

Bernadette

Thank god for this thread! It's SO hard for me not to wash my hair evreday. Since I started dying it crazy colors I've cut it back to shampooing once a week and one other time a week conditoning it only. My hair is naturally greasy so I am dying to wash it all of the time.The thought of getting to rinse it and use conditioner everyday is down right thrilling to me! I'm gonna try it before I get my hair re-dyed next wednesday to see what kind of color loss occours. :jump: I'm going to run out and buy some of this powder stuff next week!
Headbands, bandanas and hats have been my salvation but now there is hope!
Oh man I'm so excited to not feel like a grease-ball anymore :dance:

amoona

I have never washed my hair everyday! I was it twice a week, sometimes three times if the weather effects it (i.e. too hot or raining). I don't really have problems with my hair being oily and stuff and I don't do the conditioning thing. Usually I'll wash it Sunday and blow dry it and then wash it again Wednesday and blow dry and then depending on what's going on I may wash it again on Friday like if there's a wedding or party to go to.

I also don't put any product in my hair. No hairspray, no mousse, no gel nothing. I figure that I dye my hair that's enough damage to it!

Calhoune

Quote:
Originally Posted by NikkiHorror
I'm resurrected this thread because it's sooo helpful! I've heard it is bad to wash your hair every day, but it's hard for me NOT to! I just dyed my hair this amazing color, though and I want it to stay put. So conditon every day in the shower, but use the conditoner like you would use a shampoo? Kinda scrub it into your scalp?

Conditioners might not have the same cleaning effect as shampoo, but if you feel the need to wash your hair alot I'd recommend conditioners more yes
smiles.gif

Shampoos are used for the deep cleaning, and then conditioners to get the rest out and calm the hair so that you don't get flyaways. Shampooing your hair too often /will/ break it down. Shampoo is also what strips the color of your hair if you dye it, conditioners will to, but not nearly as much as shampoo.

I take a shower every day, but I only use shampoo on wednesdays and sundays, if my hair feels yucky the days between I either rub some powder in, use my dryshampoo or take a shower only using conditioners. And if you get a strong shampoo, 2-3 times a week is more then enough. If your hair feels dirty or oily you could always just use a hairtreatment/mask that you leave in for a while then rinse out, those are also very gentle to your hair.

I'm not saying you should skip shampoo completely, because you're going to need a deep cleaning every now and then, just that you don't have to use it as often as you might think.

And yes with conditioners you'd have to rub quite a bit to keep your scalp from smelling, more then you would with shampoo.

This thread was on NOT washing the hair though, and if I need to go somewhere and I haven't washed it in... well some time, I mask it by putting it up, or using a bandana or powder.

I hope this helped a bit!
heart2.gif