ny mua's

pretty~nyxie

Hello everyone! My name is Jackie and I'm new to Specktra! I'm an aspiring mua and I want to start freelancing soon. So far I've been learning alot from these forums, but I can't seem to find anything about New York laws. I was wondering if anybody knows if you need any kind of license in order to do makeup in New York?
th_confused_new.gif

pretty~nyxie

thanks Bad Girl! by the looks of things i am gonna need a license. i was hoping i wouldnt have to take the state boards for cosmetology, but i guess i better start studying lol

bad girl glam

Quote:
Originally Posted by pretty~nyxie
thanks Bad Girl! by the looks of things i am gonna need a license. i was hoping i wouldnt have to take the state boards for cosmetology, but i guess i better start studying lol

no problem! i would look into an esthetic's program. it won't take you as long (5 months) and you will get more into skincare, waxing, and makeup. you can incorporate all of things things in freelancing.

pretty~nyxie

Quote:
Originally Posted by bad girl glam
no problem! i would look into an esthetic's program. it won't take you as long (5 months) and you will get more into skincare, waxing, and makeup. you can incorporate all of things things in freelancing.

i actually graduated from a cosmetology course a few years back when i was in high school, and since class hours don't expire in ny im just gonna study and take the state boards. thanks for the advice though!
winks.gif

dominicana90

This is kind of an old post. I wanted to comment about this. If I'm not mistaken, you only need your license if your working at a salon. If your doing photoshoots and fashion show, you don't need one