Oriental eyes - do you make them up differently?

Pootle_around

hi
wavey.gif

I'm new and just discovered this site, I've been looking for ages for something as resourceful as this, I think it's brilliant, I browse for hours.

My question is; I'm Chinese and have the eyes to go with. Was wondering whether anyone would do anything differently, to make up for there being no crease, for example. Also putting colour on the lower lid doesn't look nice on me - is this because of the shape of my eyes or just my personal preference?

Also, is there any point in blending because when my eye is open, you can't see any shadow anyway? Which brings me to my next question, because you don't see any eyelid when my eye is open, should I take eyshadow up higher, to my brow bone?

hope you can help thanks
wavey.gif

user4

There a a lot of asian girls on this site and they all do their makeup beautifully. I am going to go around and look for their names and let you know so you can see what kind of aplication they use.

Whitney Costner

I have a friend who is Korean-American, she's in the entertainment industry and she says she has a lot of trouble with how makeup artists do her eyes, and she usually ends up doing her's herself.

Her pictures are here: http://ninadiva.com/photos.html

Perhaps the pics can help?

- Whitney Costner

litlaur

Practice and experimenting really are the most important things.

Definitely bring the shadow up higher if you don't see it with your eyes open. Play around a bit - bring it up until you can see it just above your lashline when your eyes are open. If you're comfortable with that, blend upward. Apply a highlight color on the brow bone then blend that and the lid color together. If you don't feel comfortable with that much make up, try lighter or more neutral colors at first.

And even if you don't see most of the shadow when your eyes are open, yes, blending is useful. You have to blink sometimes
winks.gif
I also find that with blending, it's harder to tell if the make up on each eye is slightly different because you don't have distinct "chunks" of color.

I have hooded lids with no crease. I just use certain "styles" or "shapes" that suit my lid or eye shape better than the common method. Rather than using a crease color, I'll use a different (usually darker) color in the outer corner, or a lighter color in the middle of the lid to create some depth. Another look I also do is darkest color on the lid, lightening as I move upward.

Some people find that rimming the eyes in liner can make eyes look smaller. If you feel like it does for you, then try using different colors, no lower liner at all, or just line the outer corners. And curling your lashes can really open up your eyes.

Hope that helps!

Pootle_around

Thanks, you've been really helpful! I've printed the thread and I'll have a little experiment tonight. With regards to Asian magazines, whosheis, I'm in the UK, and there are hardly any magazines aimed at Chinese people, and certainly not in the little town I live in!

Someone else has posted a thread on how to make-up eyes according to eye shape. There's on for Asian eyes. There's a a diagram that shows the way eye make up should be done on Asian eyes. It looks like they've shaded all over, up to, and just over the crease, with more concentrated colour on the outer corner and blended up and out, but the odd thing is, on the picture with the closed eye, they've got a patch where it's very pale. It's where you imagine the eyeball would be, under the eyelid, if you were looking straight on. Should that be there? What does that do?
I'm trying to find the thread but for the life of me I can't find it! I know I've explained really badly but I really can't describe it. I'll have a look for the thread again.

llucidity

Hi Pootle_around,

I'm Chinese as well and I always apply my e/s on the "eyeball" part. I think it totally goes against girls like us if you take the e/s higher because we don't have such deepset eyes (a flat/vertical face contour).

Pootle_around

Thanks guys, llucidity, I'm not sure what you mean when you say you apply your e/s on the eyeball part. Do you mean you only apply it at the eyeball part, or do you mean you apply a lighter colour (like in that picture I linked to) on the eyeball part?
sparklyrocks, which bit is the orbital bone?

litlaur

Just to give you an idea of what I like to do and how high I bring my shadow:

dramatic
10-27c.jpg

10-27o.jpg

10-8c.jpg

10-8o.jpg

I like using bold liner colors.

6-19c.jpg

6-19o.jpg

Subtle (for me, anyway):
9-25c.jpg

9-25o.jpg

9-23c.jpg

9-23o.jpg

asnbrb

i have absolutely no crease (at the most, a quarter inch of skin more is revealed when my eyes are closed) and it depends how you like to wear your makeup. are you a bolder person? do you tend to like your makeup more on the natural side? when i apply, i do mine like litlaur (but she has a little more room to work with than me), but when it's a bright color, i lower it to create a sort of an exaggerated liner-- just so you can see it. i know it seems like a little bit, but it tends to make my eyes pop without being overwhelming in an office setting.
also, i do completely line my eyes in black and though it makes my eyes look smaller, i like the look of it. my eyes make me look "exotic" and i'm going to play it up as much as possible (even if almost everyone on the island is asian).
smiles.gif

Pootle_around

litlaur, your make-up looks beautiful, thanks for the pics. the blues in the first pics look amazing -what colour are they? I love the way you line the bottom, I wish I oculd do the same but I have tiny wrinkles that the colour kind of gradually moves into as the day goes on, so I end up with it migrating down my cheek.
asnbrb, what do you mean by "but when it's a bright color, i lower it to create a sort of an exaggerated liner-- just so you can see it. "?? I like bold colours, I love UD Mildew - have you tried this? it looks amazing on Asian eyes - purples, greens, Parrot that kind of thing. What colours do you use?
And have you tried Idol Eyes? Because that doesn't show up on me at all, even when i use bare canvas paint underneath. I'm a NC40 so I wonder whether my skin's too dark for the colour to show up.

litlaur

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pootle_around
litlaur, your make-up looks beautiful, thanks for the pics. the blues in the first pics look amazing -what colour are they? I love the way you line the bottom, I wish I oculd do the same but I have tiny wrinkles that the colour kind of gradually moves into as the day goes on, so I end up with it migrating down my cheek.

The colors I used in the first set are DeMenthe, Shimmermoss just above that, Black Tied in the outer corners, White Wheat to highlight.

Have you tried Fluidlines? That's what I use to line 99% of the time. They don't budge.

saucipinkbabydoll

To all you asian girlies you absolutely must buy the makeup book Asian Beauty by Margaret Kimura this book is an asset to your makeup routine.It has all sorts of different asian models in it.And the makeup applications are amazing and helpful! good luck!

asnbrb

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pootle_around
asnbrb, what do you mean by "but when it's a bright color, i lower it to create a sort of an exaggerated liner-- just so you can see it. "?? I like bold colours, I love UD Mildew - have you tried this? it looks amazing on Asian eyes - purples, greens, Parrot that kind of thing. What colours do you use?

Well, I make the eyeshadow so that when my eyes are open, it looks like the color is just a little more than rimming my eyes-- you can really see the color. If i put it up to where my crease would be, it would be about a quarter inch higher than my eye when it was open. (When it's closed, it's a full half inch higher and yes, i did measure it stop laughing.)
smiles.gif

oh, and for colors? i have almost every color known to man except for bright oranges and yellows. I've seen some other Asians on here on whom it looks fantastic, but when I put it on, I look even more jaundiced. I do love bright colors-- my favorites are stars & rockets, lucky green, teal and aquadisiac.

mildew? is that anything like MAC's humid? If so, I love that color!