Packaging

malaviKat

(Apologies if this has already been asked. I keep getting error messages when I run a search).

Are there any MAC fans out there that don't care about LE packaging? I know that sometimes fans are inspired to make purchases from collections because they love the LE packaging that comes out...but are there others here that just don't care whether there's a cute print on the packaging or not? LOL

This is not meant to sound judgmental. I just find that I'd prefer to buy everything with as little excess packaging (little leftover garbage) as possible (e.g. pro e/s pans) and with LE collections that isn't an option. As Toronto is getting over its current garbage strike I've once again started to think about needless waste and while I do think that MAC does a GREAT job with its packaging and recycling programs, I'd love for LE stuff to be released in the same way that the regular line is...

Thoughts?

Ursula

I completely agree. I mean, I like the LE packaging. It's cute, but I never buy anything because of the packaging. And I totally wish they'd offer pallette versions of LE stuff. I'd likely buy more because storage ends up a problem when I have packaging. Palettes take up so much less room!

Dayjoy

I would LOVE to see LE items come in pan form. I depot anyway and all I really care about is the color inside. The only thing I may like to continue seeing in special packaging is lip products. It's fun to pull out something cute to touch up lipstick or lip gloss. Except that I hate the style warriors lipstick packaging! The inner tube with the zebra or leopard print is cute, but the outside is ugly!

TISH1124

I don't buy because of packaging either...and I depot all my e/s anyway so I would prefer the plain pkg versus the hype packaging...used only to make people buy...But I am sure it is good for collector purposes

nichollecaren

I agree...one of the reasons I passed on SW was the packaging...didnt like it, and figured it would be better to get hooked on a perm item
smiles.gif

OfficerJenny

One of the main reasons special packaging exists is because the average consumer doesn't depot their shadows. It would be great if they could make pans for the LE shades, but it seems like it wouldn't all end up selling.

I agree with Dayjoy about special packaging lippies, it's really fun to see everyone in a room stare at your hot pink shiny heatherette lipstick.

gildedangel

LE packaging actually stops me from buying stuff as weird as that sounds! I like my makeup to match and look nice, but if it is an LE color that I really like or need that happens to be in special packaging, then I would buy it.

malaviKat

Quote:
Originally Posted by gildedangel
LE packaging actually stops me from buying stuff as weird as that sounds! I like my makeup to match and look nice, but if it is an LE color that I really like or need that happens to be in special packaging, then I would buy it.

LOL I have to admit... I am also sort of anal retentive in this way. I love MAC's standard matte black finish and I don't really want a bunch of mismatched items sitting around. I would cave, of course, if I really really loved the colour inside but it has never inspired me to buy just for packaging sake. (And to be honest, some of the LE packaging is actually quite hideous).

That said, I must aslo admit that I really wanted to get something out of the Dame Edna collection being a Dame Edna fan, but as I didn't actually like the products the packaging alone couldn't sell me.

I totally get the point OfficerJenny is making though, and I agree it is important to remember that MAC does cater for the seasonal shopper as much as (or perhaps moreso than) longtime collectors. Still, I think stuff like eyeshadow could easily be put into a pan as opposed to a compact and still be a cost-effective part of a LE collection.

GlamQueen21

I love the LE packaging because those are the ones that I don't depot like I do with the regular packaging. I save all of my LE packaging instead of throwing them away.

malaviKat

Quote:
Originally Posted by GlamQueen21
I love the LE packaging because those are the ones that I don't depot like I do with the regular packaging. I save all of my LE packaging instead of throwing them away.

Don't you find it takes up WAY more space that way?

I depot even my LE stuff. I wonder if I might regret that one day... :p

OfficerJenny

I depot all of my LE packaging except for special shaped palettes (Hello kitty, Heatherette, Dame Edna) I find single eyeshadows in special packaging tend to be effin ugly and deserve to be depotted.

LMD84

i'm not fussed about le packaging either. i depots all my shadows and my blushers. the only reason why my hk tippy blush hasn't been depotted is because i need a new blush palette!

lipsticks however do look great in le packaging! my heatherette ones look so different and funky... but i wouldn't buy something just because the packaging was awesome!

so yeah i'm not fussed!

HustleRose

i'm not a huge fan of the LE packaging. sometimes i can be an eyesore in my vanity. i have all my blushes lined up against each other looking so pretty and then BAM!!!! there's that ugly orange packaging from the neo sci fi collection! ironically spaced out is my favorite blush.
ssad.gif
i haven't started depotting my blushes... yet

the only packaging i really liked was heatherette. and hello kitty was cute as well.

i'm kinda ocd about things matching though...

MrsMay

I depot most of my eyeshadows/blushes anyway, so I'm not too fussed about special packaging, especially as we dont have access to pans in my state.

However on another note I really wish we didnt have special packaging for LE collections as we get charged more for it (approx $5 more for a l/s in special packaging) and we cant B2M for it either
ssad.gif
I usually find I buy less or nothing at all from special packaging collections.

FiestyFemme

I think some of the packaging is pretty... like Lure (I think it was anyway, the light green pearlescent packaging), Heatherette, and Neo Sci-fi. However, I don't buy or not buy from any collection based upon the packaging. If I like the color, I buy it, and if not, I pass. I haven't yet, but I do plan to depot my LE e/s pots... sure they look pretty, but they'll get a lot more use in my e/s palettes. I'd have done it already, but I need more palettes!