Painting a room...

DropDeadDarling

Right now, my room is a light pink. I want to paint it plain white over the summer with my boyfriend, buuuut I have a few questions.

1;; Since the color is already light, do I need primer? Or can I go without?

2;; Could I use white primer as paint? Or no.

knoxydoll

White should cover the light pink colour and you can use primer as paint but it tends to get dirtier quicker because it's a bit tackier than regular paint.

claresauntie

How long ago did it get painted pink? If it was more than a year or two ago, you probably want to prime first, then paint. I wouldn't use the primer as paint- it's not a great sheen...

DropDeadDarling

Thanks guys. :]

Eeeh, it was a few years ago, but we primed it before we painted it pink. & I've kept it clean & everything.

Willa

I would use a good quality paint.
I always use BEHR, its thick.
I used it often, and never been decieved.

(sorry for misspelling)

Shimmer

totally recommend priming, over anything, before you paint it. It preps the surface for receiving the new paint. You don't have to spend a bagillionty dollars on primer, but I do recommend a good paint. HTH!!

Katja

1. You *could* go without a primer. But you *could* use a primer to prep the paint. It's up to you. If you really want to skip the primer, the white should cover the light pink. Just invest in a good quality paint, like stated above.

2. No. I wouldn't recommend substituting primer as the actual paint layer. It doesn't have a nice sheen, and besides you can choose what type of finish you prefer ie. semi-gloss, satin, flat with your paint. A primer is meant to do just that, prime.
smiles.gif

Good luck!!
smiles.gif

kaliraksha

think eyeshadow! prime and finish and quality are important. nothing like a great coat of paint to really liven up a room