Palettes

JMKess

I think I'm finally going to start depotting some of my eyeshadows because it's getting far too overwhelming to go through them in the AM and I have over 100 MAC shadows at this point (and 98 of them are in the regular pans).

Can you buy the 15 palettes in any store? Also, how much are the palettes to buy? Approximately how long does it take to depot a shadow?

Any advice is greatly appreciated!

bellaetoile

the 15 and 4 pan palettes are only available at freestanding and pro stores, NOT counters. they are 12.00 and 3.50, respectively, in USD. de-potting timed epend on method. when i started out, using the candle/flame method, it took maybe 5 minutes, start to finish, each, until i got the hang of it, upon which my depotting time was greatly reduced. the flat iron technique also goes relatively quickly. basically, no matter what technique you use, it will take a few tries to get the hang of it. don't rush, you only heighten the chance of having an accident. take your time, be careful, learn what method works best for you, and it can actually be kind of fun, haha. i think depotting is fun, and i've gone through 150+ eyeshadow and blushes at this point, and i've only had i think 2 minor accidents.

bellaetoile

Quote:
Originally Posted by bottleblack
Word of advice - start with your least favorite shadows first!

she brings up a great point. do start with less important ones first, and for some odd reason, be extra careful with lustres and mattes, in my experiences.

ledonatella

Depotting is fun...I was hesitant to do it at first cause I didn't want to destroy my pretty pots, but now I'm like forget the pot who cares! I have only had 1 major accident and it was because I dropped the pan into the candle and wax got on it. But I scraped it off and everything was fine. I do the candle method, it's the only one I've tried and it works for me so I'm sticking with it. It takes about 3-4 minutes per shadow I would say. I usually do about 5 shadows at a time cause the smell of burning plastic makes me sick after too long.

addicted_2color

Quote:
Originally Posted by ledonatella
I usually do about 5 shadows at a time cause the smell of burning plastic makes me sick after too long.

I guess that means do in a well ventallated area. I really must remember that. I was planning on doing it in the bathroom w/no outside window. Thanks for bringing that up.

XxTinker_BellxX

No no no candle. try the one i did last night. its in tutorials, heat the plastic with a blow dryer and take anexacto knife and jus lift the shadow up... its soooooo easy no mess no hassle!!!

JMKess

Thank you all so much for these tips. I defintiely think I'm going to start depotting very soon!

First I need to buy the palettes and magnetic strips.
Then, I need to organize my shadows in a color spectrum, which I'm so overwhelmed just thinking about it.

But, over 16 free lipsticks does sound awesome to me!

lara

http://mac.larahill.com/depotting.htm

Depotting without uncontrolled heat, flames, fumes or shorting out your hairdryer.
smiles.gif