Pan shadows w/ pics

Kaminoke

I've been informed these are genuine, but I'm gonna leave this up anyhow
thmbup.gif

So... I've been lurking here for a while, and I spent this morning reading about counterfeits. I have a ton of pigments and a few lipsticks/glasses/blushes I'm perfectly happy with, but I've recently decided to get some eyeshadows and give those a go. Unfortunately I haven't been able to find a pro-pan comparison, so if there is one and I'm wrong here, please point it out to me
smiles.gif

These are the first ones I bought, and I've no problem with them - they're pretty much what I expected to receive (one broke in transit, and the hell of blue-green in the packet said HELLO I'M MAC AND I'M FULL OF PIGMENT
yahoo.gif
to me).

mac5.jpg

Now... these I received this morning from someone on MUA. Like I said I'm new to shadows and they might be perfectly fine, but they're not what I expected.

mac1.jpg

I think this picture says it all really. They're absolutely flat blocks of colour, no shine, no shimmer, no nothing. I know MAC do matt eyeshadows as well, but I expected there to be something to them. There's slight hetching around the edges but that doesn't show up here.

mac3.jpg

Compared to Plum Dressing from my previous purchase. You can see a slight shimmer on the pink, but it's from trying to swatch all of the colours to compare them. I assure you, the colour is completely flat. And in swatching them, these two don't feel like my pigments or the other shadows. The blue feels really really smooth, almost greasy like swatching chalk. But the pink is very hard, and it's difficult to get any colour off of it at all. My happy-MAC shadows I run my finger over and pick up colour, rub it harder and I get more colour.

mac2.jpg

The backs of them. This was the second thing I thought a little odd, especially the Passionate. Off-center I can understand, but MAC is a high-end product and yet they can't get the magnet to be completely on the pan? And the printing on passionate looked rough, whereas the Plum Dressing printing looked 'clean'. And are they supposed to all have different weights?

mac4.jpg

This I noticed accidentally. I was trying to work out the lipstick I got with these (I'm a bit meh because the sticker printing is wonky, but it smells good and the stickers on the ones I have are all different so I can't tell
th_dunno.gif
) when I noticed the height of the product in the pan. The MAC ones I already had don't completely fill the pan - not from use, but it looks like how they're made. There's a lip of pan around the edges, and the edge of the shadow is very clean and almost looks like it goes downwards. It's most obvious from the passionate, but these look like they've been filled, and then wiped across the pan to make them flat. On the blue, the edge of the shadow goes up into a small lip and looks rough, not smooth like my others. You can see that most in the Passionate in this picture above -> http://www.kaminoke.pwp.blueyonder.co.uk/mac3.jpg

As I said I did try to swatch the colours, but as I'm not caucasian (half Jamaican) it's difficult for me to compare swatches. I can have a go if that would be helpful to anyone
yes.gif

So if someone would now like to tell me that I have wasted an hour this afternoon on products that are absolutely genuine, you would make me a very happy bunny! I traded these for products I KNOW are genuine (unless US department stores now sell fakes
th_LMAO.gif
), so if my first swap turns out to be a dud, I'm going to be pretty pissed.

Thanks ^^

Edit#2 - I forgot - boxes. These didn't come in boxes. They came taped in some thin plastic and bubblewrap. The plastic was sealed around three edges (manufactured that way, not by the swapper) like a small bag, and the pan dropped in and taped.

julie150463

Hi and welcome to Specktra
thmbup.gif

Your pan's look fine - at the moment they are one of the few things that counterfeiters haven't tried (unless someone knows different). The things to look out for are circles or indentations on the back of the pans - these usually appear in fake depotted eyeshadows.

Pans do come in different weights. Unlike pigments they are sold by volume (ie they fill the pans) so with slight variances in the chemicals they use there can be slight variations in weight.

One of the other ladies will be able to help you with the swatching - I'm not that great an expert - yet
winks.gif

Hope that helps

Heiaken

Matte shadows don't have eny shimmer on they, as the formula says they are complitely matt and sometimes can feel and/or look a bit chalky. For me those looks like the genuine stuff. For example I have few pigments that I know are 100% genuine and the sticker in the bottom is wayyyy of center, so that can happen too.

Cinci

I have Passionate, which I got from a MAC counter back when the CShock collection first came out.. yours looks identical to mine (other than the fact that mine was potted). As soon as i saw your pics, I knew it was Passionate, before even reading what you wrote, if that tells you how close it is... Also, it is alot harder than the other shadows i've noticed, as I have to swipe my brush a few more times to get color out of it...

darkishstar

Btw, I have Jewel Blue and it sucks.
I can't get any color out of it. So I'd say it's legit, sad to say. I hate that color. Worst purchase I have ever made from MAC. Horrible texture.