People are just so f-ing ignorant...

Dr_Girlfriend

So yeah, today was one of those days where everyone decided that the best place to spend their Friday evening was at the hospital. Needless to say, those of us in the pharmacy were beyond busy. At the most inappropriate time, one of my male coworkers (who is about 55 years old... I'm 27) just says "wow... you are so white... do you not like the sun or are you sick? You look sick!" I was caught so offguard! What the hell?!?! This was in front of all of our staff... totally just rude! When I finally realized what he said, the only thing I could say was well, when I'm 50 I won't look like a charred up piece of fucking leather. I don't know why it bothered me all night... Yeah, I know I'm whiter than white itself. Lighter than most makeup company's foundations. I like being pale. I don't tan at all. I burn than turn back to Casper white so why waste my money on tanning beds? Tan in a can looks awful on me. Oh well, to each their own I suppose...

ashley8119

I hear ya, sister. I've heard that several times. I've been asked by random people, even people I know "Are you sick? You're so pale, do you sleep in a coffin?" I agree, it's very rude and an unnecessary thing to say. These asshole kids I went to school with would call me Casper and make ghost "ooooOOOOOoooooo" noises whenever they saw me. It used to really make me mad, to the point of covering myself in foundation several shades darker and getting Mystic Tans all the time. The thing that snapped me out of that was looking at my pictures from my high school graduation. I just don't look good with a tan, and I regret letting their ignorance get to me. Now when I look back at my grad pictures years from now, I'm going to remember that hideous tan I was trying to sport just because people said I was "too pale". But it doesn't bother me anymore, the kids who used to say things about me are 19 (like me) and they look much older (but not in a good way) and I look younger and much healthier than them. Sure, it's annoying constantly being carded all the time for 18+ activities, but I guess it will be a perk when I get older. My sister is very fair too, and she is 26...and she gets carded for R movies still because she never tanned. My cousin (she's 25) used to tan as a teenager and in her early twenties, and now she looks like she's in her early to mid 30's.

It's funny how people say "You would look healthier if you were tan...Tans look very healthy..." It's like a "healthy tan" is an oxymoron, considering a tan is your body's way of defending itself from the harmful rays. Who cares though? We'll look super hot in our 30's and 40's while they're looking like my great-aunt Alice's old leather couch from the 1960's...

jenee.sum

he's an idiot. some parts of the world ur too dark, some parts ur too light. that's why you shouldn't let his stupidness bother u in the long run. i know it bugged u at first...but i hope u don't dwell on it. love the skin ur in! and YES, be nice to it! don't want to be all leathery!

TISH1124

Girl I love seeing your posts I know they are always gonna be good ones...You should have told him...if you find my fairness strange ...This is gonna blow your mind....I was born Black...this is from years and years of soaking my body in bleach!!

yes people are Rude and say stupid shit.

Dr_Girlfriend

I learned to embrace many parts and facets of myself. It's justfunny how the old insecurities came back SO fast! I used to hate my shape since I'm hourglass bordering on pear shaped. I love that now but not then. Same thing with my skintone. I just don't look right with a tan... just charred. It's a HORRIBLE sunburn if I actually have color after the burn has peeled. Just not fun times! Thank you for your reply. It's nice to know that other people know exactly how I feel. The hubby was just like get over it! Ugh... easy for him to say LOL!

Dr_Girlfriend

Quote:
Originally Posted by TISH1127
Girl I love seeing your posts I know they are always gonna be good ones...You should have told him...if you find my fairness strange ...This is gonna blow your mind....I was born Black...this is from years and years of soaking my body in bleach!!

yes people are Rude and say stupid shit.

LOL I just wish I was that quick on the draw with my replies! The good comments never come to mind until the incident is over... Haha maybe I should be goth tomorrow then see what they say...

Disclaimer: No offense to any goths out there. If that's you then great. I just don't pull it off well. :p

darkorchid

People always say stupid inappropriate things like that. Everyone's always got an opinion - and think they have the right to say it @_@
I went on holidays and while I am not super pale, since I don't really expose my body to the sun or sun bake I was quite pale. So I slapped on the sun screen and hung out by the pool for 30 mins and that was enough color for me, back to my medium skin tone. But then when I went back to work people were like wow, you didn't tan at all!
Hah, embrace your pale skin - you will look good the rest of your life, not expire into a leathery heap when the clock ticks past 35-40!

autumnschild

dude i wish i was paler. i think pale skin is lovely. if someone said something like that to me i would be like oh mhmm yeah but would secretly be really flattered.

User93

Girl I'm totally with you here! And you actually did great for answering that idiot the way you did. I'm pale aswell. I used to go tanning, but after a while gave up because my health is just more important for me. Screw whatever they tell, it's about YOU feeling comfortable and being healthy.

U totally understand you. There is that girl in my class. Urgh I was so mad! I was talking to her (and before I had a cold, so lost some weight, and was enjoyning my look), so she says (IMAGINE!): "Oh, you look so sick. What's up with you? You are so thin. Yea you look sick". I was sooo mad! I should have told her that she is actually getting fater if she didnt notice yet! But uhh, I was too shocked to reply. Some people are just retarded.

X4biddenxLustX

Ugh what a freakin weirdo seriously.

Idk is it me or does anyone else feel this way, but I think that making a big deal like that guy did about skin color is just too overrated. Not sure if that made any sense...too early in the morning for me lol. But really there are going to be pale, medium, tan, dark, and about a million other shades in between. There all beautiful though. I guess some ignorant asses won't ever realize and accept that though.

I'm Chinese and in our culture and along with other asian cultures, it's more favorable to be on the paler side. I'm naturally a medium skintone, NC35ish and have gotten comments from other Chinese that I'm too "dark". And at times I have gotten a wow your asian but you look so pale from other people who aren't asian. It's always your too this your too that, your not enough of this or that. You just have to really let it slide and brush it off. Cause the whole thing really is just stupid. I just tell them that I'm sorry that I dont want to end up having shitty looking skin from using skin lighteners, and I don't want to look like a leather handbag cause I don't bake under a tanning bed all day everyday.

maclove1

Quote:
Originally Posted by X4biddenxLustX
Ugh what a freakin weirdo seriously.

Idk is it me or does anyone else feel this way, but I think that making a big deal like that guy did about skin color is just too overrated. Not sure if that made any sense...too early in the morning for me lol. But really there are going to be pale, medium, tan, dark, and about a million other shades in between. There all beautiful though. I guess some ignorant asses won't ever realize and accept that though.
yes.gif

"I'm Chinese and in our culture and along with other asian cultures, it's more favorable to be on the paler side."

cry.gif
this made me cry foreal ,i live in tampa and every time i see a asian person they are with a white person and some have white babys to each his own but i meen i have never seen a asain cuple in real life .
its like white washing a whole race i love your asian eyes and yellow toned skin but all that goes away if you dont mix with your own race and i even seen a nose pointer sold on ebay it makes asian noises pointy
ssad.gif
im black but this hurts me sooooooooooooooo much .
cry.gif

jenee.sum

Quote:
Originally Posted by maclove1
cry.gif
this made me cry foreal ,i live in tampa and every time i see a asian person they are with a white person and some have white babys to each his own but i meen i have never seen a asain cuple in real life .
its like white washing a whole race i love your asian eyes and yellow toned skin but all that goes away if you dont mix with your own race and i even seen a nose pointer sold on ebay it makes asian noises pointy
ssad.gif
im black but this hurts me sooooooooooooooo much .
cry.gif

hmmm i actually don't exactly agree with what your saying. I'm chinese and am dating a white dude (german), and hm, sometimes i look extremely pale LOL and sometimes not. and definitely not when i have a tan. i'm an NC25 w/out tan, NC30 w/ tan. yes asian countries do favor those with lighter skin color (hence all the lightening and brightening skin care products in those countries), but i'd have to disagree with marrying outside the race to have babies of lighter skin color or to acheive features that are non-asian? correct me if i read your message wrong, but that's what i got from it.

I've gotten comments about me not being light enough when i have a tan. once i came back from Clearwater, Florida and my mom was like "omg ur so ugly with that tan!! u look like ur indian!" urgh - how rude! LOL in my family pics, i look so dark compared to my sister - her skin is like porcelin white. and yes she lives in Hong Kong so she uses all the brightening products there are. but yes, when i was down in Clearwater, i swear i saw no Chinese/Asian there. i was the only one. so it wouldn't surprise me that if u did see one, that that person would be with a non-asian or non-chinese. but i know there are tonnes of asians in the States.

but i'm not dating a white dude so that my kids will be paler, or have a pointier nose, or more defined bone structure, or what not. i think just America in general is now becoming a place with a mix of all races. and we're growing as a nation and learning how to live and accept people of all backgrounds. so if an asian dude falls in love with a white girl, so be it..and they'll have some damn hot kids. but that doesn't necessarily mean they're tryin to get "whiter" babies or eliminting their race. so don't feel so sad about it. there are plenty of chinese in china, or indians in india who are still gunna have 100% chinese/indian babies. lol no race elimination there. it's just beautiful that we have such an ability or freedom to mix within America - many places still condone mixing of races. so to me, what we see in America is liberation and equality. and we've come such a far way...and it took such a long time.
If it makes you feel any better, I'm from Toronto, and there are Asian couples everyyyyyyyyyywhere!!!!!! lol

i'm proud to be Chinese, but i found a damn hot white boy and i'm gunna have his babies....yellow, white, flat nose, high nose, whatever my kids are gunna turn out looking.

X4biddenxLustX

My mom also tells me I'm ugly with a tan! I use to go to tanning beds (this was when I didn't know any better and didn't really care too much. I know better now!) and got really tan. I won't lie, I LOVED it cause it was in the middle of October and freezing and I was the only one with a tan which meant I stuck out lol stupid I know. I actually don't like to be tan much in the summer time cause everyone else is. But anyways my mom told me that I wasn't Chinese anymore cause of how dark I had gotten! Along with me being a mutt (which is a joke she always makes, it doesn't have to do with race but more of the fact that I look NOTHING like her. We always joke I'm the love child my dad and some chick had haha).

I live in an area in the U.S that does have asian people but for the most part I don't really see them all that much. It's been that way my whole life. I find that a lot of the asian kids don't really want to hang out with me or whatever cause I'm a "bad influence". I can get quite crazy sometimes not that I'm going out getting arrested, drunk, and drugged up or anything like that lol. I guess I'm more Americanized than they are, not that one way or the other is better than the other. We just didn't have all that much in common.

I'm attracted to hot men period. They can be any race. But it just happens that a lot of caucasian guys find me attractive and I find them attractive. So I've dated pretty much all caucasian guys really. Some people make a big deal out of it while others just don't even care or seem to notice the difference of our races. But I do get the whole would you get involved with an asian guy thing alot though. And the answer is yes. They just gotta be hot lol.

And oh heres something else that I seen brought up a lot. How there is a large amount of asian girls dating caucasian guys and not a lot of asian guys dating caucasian girls. Practically all the asian guys I have seen her and known of have and are dating caucasian girls. My dad's friend who is also is married to a caucasian woman.

LaVixxen

so rude! One time my bf sister n her husband said I was so pale and looked sick. That hurt my feelings for a pretty long time that I went tanning and all. Now they accept me more isnt that a shame? So I stopped tanning because its bad and here I am back to square one but seriously if they dont accept me just for a skin color, than the hell with them! Keep in mind his sister isnt even tan LMAO! I guess they think just because Im brazilian and dominican im supposed to be dark, ahhh some people have the nerve!

vocaltest

Ugh, I hate it when people are like that. If anyone ever says anything about my paleness or say 'you should try sun beds', my usual response, albeit not very appropriate is 'Its alright, I don't want skin cancer, nor do I want to look old before my time'. Usually shuts em up.

Mabelle

Some people are idiots. I have very fair skin aswell (same problem with finding a foundation!) and from the general public, i sometimes get nasty comments. I say this alot, but i think generally, in Canada we tend to be very concerned that we are constantly being polite to each other, so i don't get many. But when i say i dont tan, i get a lot of "EVER?" or "WHY?".
I know that my skin will look great when i'm older. The only people that compliment me are my teachers. I study theatre deisgn, so we draw diffrent kinds of faces and characters (diffrent wrinkles and stuff). And i have a tecaher that is always saying " You see, Heather has that perfect pale peachy creamy skin that will just never age."

So i choose to remember what she says
smiles.gif

Tahti

HAH I know right! The amount of time I've been told 'go get a tan, FFS woman!' in nearly uncountable now. I just tell them where to go - I've got red hair, I don't want my skin to match it!

Plus, being pale is awesome ;D I love it! Now that I've finally found a good foundation to match my basically white skin I'm even more than happy with my lot. ;D My skin isn't going to age half as quickly as the people who fry themselves too! *I don't have anything against WOC's btw, just incase anyone gets me wrong! I think all shades of skin are beautiful, but I love being pale. ^_^*

Porcelain Power! <3

user79

I used to get comments as a kid when I was in that awkward self-conscious tweenager stage that I looked too pale, sick, am I feeling ok? It did kind of get to me but now I'm over it. I did go tanning a bit one winter pretty regularly (1-2 times a week) and I did like being more tan, but I def noticed my skin suffered horribly from it. I don't tan very well either so I can lie at my pool all day with a minimum of sunscreen and still be white at the end. Hah! I don't go tanning anymore and just am happy with my skin now.

Just think of a smart comeback and ignore those rude people, your skin will look so much nicer when you are older. I mean I'm turning 30 next year and I still get comments all the time from people on what nice skin I have, thanks to always wearing spf!

BTW, if you're having one of those self-conscious "pale days", I find wearing a bright blush does wonders to just warm up your face and gives you a snow white look.
smiles.gif