People are just so f-ing ignorant...

statusmode

Some women that come to mind are Kate Winslet, Dita Von Teese and Anne Hathaway.... they're all recognized for their stunning looks, pale skin and all...
wenn-anne-hathaway-orange__oPt.jpg

Natural is better than fake orange IMO

abbyquack

Why is it totally ok for him to make a comment about your skin color but if he made that sort of comment to someone of a different race it would be racist? I think it's inappropriate no matter who you say it to, and not very nice. Now granted, I do make fun of my sister b/c she's pale- i call her Ghost sometimes, but in reality I'm about as pale as her (my hair color makes me appear darker but when we stand next to each other we are the same fairness), and since we're sisters it's different.

At any rate, don't let him be ashamed of your beautiful skin, tanning is out of style- the fake bake is not hot anymore.

Dr_Girlfriend

Quote:
Originally Posted by vocaltest
Ugh, I hate it when people are like that. If anyone ever says anything about my paleness or say 'you should try sun beds', my usual response, albeit not very appropriate is 'Its alright, I don't want skin cancer, nor do I want to look old before my time'. Usually shuts em up.

I've actually never finished a full membership at a tanning salon. Usually I couldn't stay in longer than 5 minutes at a time. I'd turn beet red for about a week, peel (ugh...), then turn white again. I love my skin color now. Too bad I didn't feel that way when I was 18.

LOL Tanning salons always smell so bad! Maybe it's Banana Boat overkill or something...

X4biddenxLustX

^^ It's the attack of the corn chip fake tanning stuff scent! I use to use the Jergen's gradual tanning stuff to boost my fake tan that I would get from tanning salons. I would ALWAYS end up a few hours later smelling like corn chips. Got salsa anyone? lol

Edit: I just got reminded of a customer I had come in the other day to purchase self tanner. She was probably in her late 50's or early 60's. She had an awful extremely tan look going on. Like she wasn't even tan anymore actually. It looked like she had tanned her skin in the tanning beds into oblivion! It did not look healthy the least bit and you could tell even for someone her age it had taken a big toll on her skin. Plus her face, I think it was her makeup was about 3-4 shades darker than the rest of her. It look ridiculously fake and bad no offense. She had wanted to buy a self tanner especially for the face but complained that she couldn't find one for darker skin tones and could only see ones for light and medium skin tones and that she already has a good tan going on. I mean she was a nice lady and all but I just couldn't help but think OMG WTF... I really wanted to go on a rant about how tanning in beds are super horrible for your skin and that she did not need anymore self tanner.

Mabelle

Honestly, I think you can spot fake tanning easily enough. and it just looks fake. I think we look best (generally) the way we are made. I'm made pale. I look best pale. Someone who is made with a darker skin tone will look best with darker skin. Someone with brown eyes will look bets with brown eyes.

Extreme changes generally look off.
Recently i've been spotting a lot of fake tanners. It's girls in skin tight PINK sweat suits, with WAY dark skin (kinda orangy) light eyes and black straight hair. very unattractive. very fake.

X4biddenxLustX

^^ I agree.

But I wont lie, sometimes I would like a tad bit of color. I'll try a gradual tanner even tho it smells icky or mix some bronzer with body lotion. But for me to go like 3 shades darker would be well just....fake!

Porcelain doll white skin FTW!!! I'm also receiving comments like "oh god you' re so pale, you look sick (a guy told me once I look like I'm dead!!!) don't you ever go to the beach"? It used to bother me but not anymore, I love my natural light skin, green eyes and pinkish cheeks. My mother is almost 50 (even more pale than me) and her skin is great, she still looks 30. So no-no to fake tan, NO-NO to frying all day long at the beach, even though you enjoy your brown skin those are actually dead skin cells that you' re showing off.