Phone Interview

I am currently a free lance artist and I am applying for A 3rd Key Position and I have NEVER had a telephone interview. What to expect and what do you all think will happen?

Have any of you had similiar interview styles?

Also, what are some of the requirements and prerequisites desired for a 3rd key position?

Bernadette

First off, congratulations on the possibilty of your new position
smiles.gif
I hope you get it.

As for the phone interview you should really focus on being clear and well-spoken. No "Umm's" or "Likes" and that kind of stuff. No mumbling or trialing off. Try to be focused and give a clear, well worded response. It's a bit harder to give a full impression of your character over the phone so really avoid those verbal no-no's. Good luck!

MAC_Whore

Good tips, Bernadette. I would also really mentally prepare. Ask yourself the questions that they will most likely ask you and have an answer prepared. Perhaps even write up a little cheat sheet that you can reference througout the interview. Just don't become to dependent on the sheet.

The most important pieces of advice I can give are be prepared for anything (don't get stuck in the idea that they will only ask certain questions) and know when to stop talking. A common method of interviewers is to let interviewees keep talking (aka nervous rambling). That's when interviewees tend to trip themselves up.

Also, you may not know the answer to every question, but they are looking for your ability to think on your feet and solve problems. I.e. the interview question that asks you how many pennies would you have to stack to equal the height of the Empire State building. Not many of us know that off of the top of our heads. But if you answer them with, "That is a good question. I don't know the answer, but this is how I would come up with the answer. Are the pennies stacked on their side, or are they flat? Once I determine that, I would find out the height of the Empire State building and the height of a penny and make the calculation." Granted, MAC probably won't get that detailed with your intervew (they didn't with mine), but you get what I'm saying.

Take a deep breath, relax and know that you can do this!
smiles.gif
Good luck and let us know how it goes.

I will let you all know how the interview went. Hopefully well. Well I am suppose to receive another interview next week also, I called the manager about a 24 hour position. He told me that he would be calling me back to schedule an interview.

He said that last week and did not call. I called him back last week and he told me he would schedule this week.

The 3rd Key position seems more realistic. It is more challenging, however there are more hours, which can always be arranged, considering I am a full time college student. This job pays more than many college students I know.

What are some of the things that an employer looks for in third key applicant?

Thanks for your replies.

NikkiHorror

If they ask you this question:

"Are you more passive or aggressive?"

ANSWER AGGRESSIVE. They don't mean "do you beat people over the head with things" aggressive, they mean do you pursue goals, approach customers and set an assertive tone and take charge of a makeover. I had to learn the answer to this question the hard way two years ago. Good luck!