• As of January 16, 2018, all posts in this section are moderated. Please engage with the community within the rest of the forums, remembering that you may not post your own tutorial links outside this section. Also remember to put your content in the proper space.

Tutorials posted outside this space will be removed. If you post a tutorial in this space and you don't make an effort to participate in the community outside this section, your post will be deleted.

Pixiwoo - Natural w/definition for Darker Skintones

dominichulinda

74412193.jpg
The lovely Pixiwoo did a makeup tutorial for WOC with a deep skin. She's an amazing artist and thought you ladies would enjoy this video.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6Tk4N...ure=popt1aus15

Used:
Eyes: arena highlight(style blush), bronze on the lid/under eye, sign sealed (sketch) in the crease, reflect bronze(amberlight) in tear-duct area, reflect antique gold. (all MAC)
Cheeks: MAC Pro - Reed (Dark Brown) Contour
Blush MSF Warmed Blend
Lips:
MAC Chestnut l/l, Plum l/s and wet wild and wonderful l/g

Face2Mac

I think she gave a good effort but this look is typical of what people thinks looks good on WOC. The neutral bronze/eye, the plum lip (not even an interesting plum), I hope in the future she does a more colorful look.

So even though she did it, it's nothing groundbreaking, IMO.

Lovey99

No one said it was groundbreaking, but it was a good video nonetheless.

Pixiwoo is a pair of excellent MUAs. I think the video showed their versatility. The video is not colorful and in your face, but it is a very nice neutral look. The neutral/natural look appeals to a wider variety. I have not seen the pair do a look on darker skin; this is an excellent start.

moondeva

This was a beautiful classic neutral / natural look on a beautiful woman of colour.

I tried to recreate it on myself and was saddened to find that though the colours used are fairly neutral, they do not do anything to enhance my own cooler undertones. Though the makeup was lovely it left me looking drained and strangely colourless.

So... would love to see suggestions for alternative colours that would create a similar neutral / natural look whilst complimenting my particular undertones:

Eyes:
Arena highlight(style blush)
Bronze on the lid/under eye
Sign Sealed (or Sketch) in the crease
Reflect Bronze (or Amberlights) in tear-duct area
Reflect Antique gold

Cheeks:
MAC Pro - Reed (Dark Brown) as contour
MSF Warmed Blend Blush

Lips:
MAC Chestnut l/l
Plum l/s
Wet Wild and Wonderful l/g

TheTeenageMuse

I was so happy when this turned up in my subscriptions. It is typical for our skin tones but I did learn somethings and now I know I'm picking the right colours and application modes for my skin.

Ingenue

Quote:
Originally Posted by Face2Mac
I think she gave a good effort but this look is typical of what people thinks looks good on WOC. The neutral bronze/eye, the plum lip (not even an interesting plum), I hope in the future she does a more colorful look.

So even though she did it, it's nothing groundbreaking, IMO.

I honestly think she erred on the side of caution because of all of the fallout from the 'Black Skin' controversy with Nic. She seemed really nervous in the beginning, but seemed to get her legs as the tutorial went along.

You're right... it's a very 'safe' look, and very typical of what folks think looks good on us. But it's well done, so I give her props for doing an awesome job. For some folks, matching our skin tones with the proper foundation is 1/2 the battle! I've known MUA's who've had mini panic attacks over that one.
th_LMAO.gif

Lovey99

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ingenue
I honestly think she erred on the side of caution because of all of the fallout from the 'Black Skin' controversy with Nic. She seemed really nervous in the beginning, but seemed to get her legs as the tutorial went along.

You're right... it's a very 'safe' look, and very typical of what folks think looks good on us. But it's well done, so I give her props for doing an awesome job. For some folks, matching our skin tones with the proper foundation is 1/2 the battle! I've known MUA's who've had mini panic attacks over that one.
th_LMAO.gif

what was the black skin controversy?

SeaHen

I didn't like it at all. I found the lip colour and the blush choice dated. I found it quite aging, i don't find it flattering. In all honesty i was shocked. IMO it was not a natural nor a neutral look. The caliber that Pixiwoo are, and the fact that i love all their tutorials except this one, its been a disappointment for me.

SoSoSteph

Pixiwoo is one of my favorite youtube makeup artists but I was not impressed with this demo. Very safe and what you could get at any makeup counter. I expect more from them being that their level of talent is very high. Typical look done on a WOC. The model is gorgeous though.

nunu

I think that they wanted to play it safe at the start which is why they posted this look.They got so much hate for the"black skin" comment. It is understandable why they opted for a safe neutral look.

Also, maybe it was a requested look...regardless, i still enjoy their videos.

Ingenue

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lovey99
what was the black skin controversy?

Oh it was a mess. Nic said something about "Black Skin" going ashy with a certain color and their site BLEW UP! 'Black' is a perfectly acceptable description for people of African descent abroad. It was primarily posts from the United States ... where we refer to people as African American. But hey... what if you're not American? And that was Nic's point. Apparently it got pretty ugly.

Anyway, after that they started moderating their posts, and Sam did one video going OFF about it all. She was not a happy camper.

So...

That explains her nervousness with this particular video. People have been asking them for a while to do a tutorial on a woman of color. I was wondering when one of them would finally do one.

Lovey99

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ingenue
Oh it was a mess. Nic said something about "Black Skin" going ashy with a certain color and their site BLEW UP! 'Black' is a perfectly acceptable description for people of African descent abroad. It was primarily posts from the United States ... where we refer to people as African American. But hey... what if you're not American? And that was Nic's point. Apparently it got pretty ugly.

Anyway, after that they started moderating their posts, and Sam did one video going OFF about it all. She was not a happy camper.

So...

That explains her nervousness with this particular video. People have been asking them for a while to do a tutorial on a woman of color. I was wondering when one of them would finally do one.

Ooohh! Thanks for the info. I have been subscribed to Pixiwoo for less than a year, so that must have been before I started watching.

TheTeenageMuse

I find all the terminology surrounding different races really stressful. I'm West Indian and I feel uncomfortable referring to someone even as African American..just because like Russel Peters I don't consider you all to be African. And I know that I get kind of miffed when people think i'm Indian.

Goat Goat Etc.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheTeenageMuse
I find all the terminology surrounding different races really stressful. I'm West Indian and I feel uncomfortable referring to someone even as African American..just because like Russel Peters I don't consider you all to be African. And I know that I get kind of miffed when people think i'm Indian.

I think African American is appropriate, simply for the reason that our specific origins from Africa were purposely erased from us. It's pretty easily assumed...An actual African-born resident can call themselves [insert name of country in Africa]ian/nese/an American as a black American can go as far back as 1930s America or if they're "lucky", their slave holders.

reesesilverstar

I agree that she erred on the side of caution. I remember commenting on the "black skin" video. It was really ridiculous that ppl had issues with it. And I don't quite understand why it's necessary to have to explain, when it is understood that "African American" or "Black" refer to someone of dark skin and/or of african descent.

I liked that they made an effort to do a demo on darker skin, and I'm just waiting for a colorful video because I do remember Sam saying that she LOVES color on dark skin. So now that she's wet her feet and ppl could get over themselves, we could move on to COLOUR!!!

DaniCakes

I love love love pixiwoo and although this look is a little plain and old school fashion fair like, I love the fact that she tried. We must look at the intent of a person's comments before taking offense. The girls genuinely seem pleasant and open-minded and that's how I'd like to think of them until I have a good reason not to.

chocolategoddes

I squeed with delight when I saw this video in my subscription inbox.
I agree, it's very basic, dated, and "Fashion Fair". We can only hope this is the first of many videos with a darker skinned model. I mean, with their artistic abilities, I'd love to see them do a variety of looks.

And yeah, I'm just gonna stay out of this "black skin" controversy discussion. >____> lol

Ingenue

Quote:
Originally Posted by reesesilverstar
I agree that she erred on the side of caution. I remember commenting on the "black skin" video. It was really ridiculous that ppl had issues with it. And I don't quite understand why it's necessary to have to explain, when it is understood that "African American" or "Black" refer to someone of dark skin and/or of african descent.

I liked that they made an effort to do a demo on darker skin, and I'm just waiting for a colorful video because I do remember Sam saying that she LOVES color on dark skin. So now that she's wet her feet and ppl could get over themselves, we could move on to COLOUR!!!

I totally agree. I can't wait for her to get more adventurous with darker skin tones.
yes.gif

Curly1908

I'm no MUA, but I didn't think this was a good look nor did I think the makeup was applied very well. You can still see the unevenness in the model's skintone (especially around her mouth and under her eyes) so the foundation was chosen/applied poorly. And I don't think the blush was blended properly. And I dislike the choice of eyeshadows as well as the application. (I would've thought the MUA would've chosen different techniques because the model has small, closely-set eyes.) The eyebrows are a mess too. Just my opinion.