Pope compares Atheism to Nazism

user79

BBC News - Row after Pope's remarks on atheism and Nazis

Quote:
The pope urged the UK to guard against "aggressive forms of secularism".

A speech in which the Pope appeared to associate atheism with the Nazis has prompted criticism from humanist organisations.

However, the Catholic Church has moved to play down the controversy, saying the Pope knew "rather well what the Nazi ideology is about".

Humanists have said the comments were a "terrible libel" against non-believers.

In his address, the Pope spoke of "a Nazi tyranny that wished to eradicate God from society".

He went on to urge the UK to guard against "aggressive forms of secularism".

The Pope made his remarks in his opening address to the Queen at Holyroodhouse in Edinburgh.

He said: "Even in our own lifetimes we can recall how Britain and her leaders stood against a Nazi tyranny that wished to eradicate God from society and denied our common humanity to many, especially the Jews, who were thought unfit to live.

"As we reflect on the sobering lessons of atheist extremism of the 20th century, let us never forget how the exclusion of God, religion and virtue from public life leads ultimately to a truncated vision of man and of society and thus a reductive vision of a person and his destiny."

A statement from the British Humanist Association said the Pope's remarks were "surreal".

It said: "The notion that it was the atheism of Nazis that led to their extremist and hateful views or that it somehow fuels intolerance in Britain today is a terrible libel against those who do not believe in God.

"The notion that it is non-religious people in the UK today who want to force their views on others, coming from a man whose organisation exerts itself internationally to impose its narrow and exclusive form of morality and undermine the human rights of women, children, gay people and many others, is surreal."

The German-born Pope has previously spoken of his time growing up under the "monster" of Nazism.

He joined the Hitler Youth at 14, as was required of young Germans at the time.

Late on in WWII he was drafted into an anti-aircraft unit in Munich.

He deserted the German army towards the end of the war and was briefly held as a prisoner-of-war by the Allies in 1945.

The Pope's conservative, traditionalist views were intensified when teaching at the University of Bonn in the 1960s he was said to be appalled at the prevalence of Marxism among his students.

In his view, religion was being subordinated to a political ideology that he considered "tyrannical, brutal and cruel".

He would later be a leading campaigner against liberation theology, the movement to involve the Church in social activism, which for him was too close to Marxism.

I cannot believe the things this man spouts.

Thoughts?

LMD84

That is insane. what the hell was he thinking? I am Christian however my mums side of the family are all Irish and are all Catholics - but they sure as hell do not share the same thoughts he has
ssad.gif

cutegingerbread

SERIOUSLY??
angry.gif

He needs to learn that just because some people have different beliefs, doesn't mean that they're evil or any worse of people!

Just because some people are atheists doesn't mean they don't have morals OR are forcing people to become that way.

euphrosyne_rose

I was born and baptized Catholic but after 8 years at a Catholic school, I have no desire to be a "practicing" Catholic. I like to think that I can "think outside the box" and have my own views on things without having a religion dictate to me what I should think and feel. Religion is what you make of it and it just seems to me like the Pope and all the higher ups in the Catholic Church have forgotten their true job, which is to be a spiritual advisor and leader for their congregation, not acting like the ultimate ruler. If you know your history, the Catholic Church has had a long history and reputation for being a little finatical about matters that aren't always in the best interest of their "flock" and more in the interest of the Church.

Comparing an atheist to a Nazi is ridiculous, especially since alot Nazis were zealous in the fact that they believed God was on their side. Instead of preaching about Nazis and atheism, he needs to be cracking down on the spread of child molestation, but that's just MY opinion.
th_dunno.gif

kaliraksha

Quote:
Originally Posted by MissChievous

I cannot believe the things this man spouts.

Agree! Like when he spoke out against condoms and sexual education for AIDS. Or when he equated the natural "destruction" that is homosexuality to global warming?

The Pope says “the exclusion of God, religion and virtue from public life” as if they were all tied together. It is scandalous to imply that virtue does not exist without God and religion.

It's tough because while I was raised Roman Catholic, I consider myself atheist. I don't personally care what this dude says... but I care about the wisdom and impression he imparts on the majority of the Christian world.

staceb1990

I hate hate hate when people in power use religion as a way to move forth their agenda. You would think he would have higher priorities then going to England and spouting this crap, such as, oh I don't know, keeping preists from RAPING CHILDREN!

Shadowy Lady

Atheist and proud, and the pope's opinion doesn't matter to me...also, he's one to talk, anyone researched his background before? Go and look it up and u'll know what I mean :/

I find it annoying that most atheists are just living their lives happily and some of these big religious leaders can't stop trying to insult or convert us. Damn, what happened to live and let live??

blazeno.8

This means the Pope has reached a milestone: invoking Godwin's Law without even being in a dialogue.

Susanne

In my opinion there always should be a clear line between religion and politics.

Never instrumentalize the one or the other.

revinn

That's just disgusting.. It reminds me of a video I once saw where actors re-enacted posts from a fundamentalist (and rather extremist) Christian board.

All posts about what would happen if atheists ruled the world. According to those forum members, values can't exist without religion.

I think that's such bull. I am an atheist, and while I sometimes discuss that with other people, I certainly would never try to force my beliefs (or lack thereof) onto someone else. If I ever have children, I will raise them the same way, morals and values intact.

I consider myself to be a pretty ethical person, and certainly not comparable to a Nazi.

Bjarka

Stupid thing to say really. Makes him sound very uneducated.

I've never quite got the whole Catholic pope worship thing I must admit. But maybe it's cause there are so few Catholics where I grew up :s

Anyhow, some of you might find some consolation in the fact, that when he was driving through Edinburgh, there weren't many people out (I know the BBC said there was, but I have friends that were there.) They were there more for the novelty of being able to say they'd seen him, and said most people there were like that too. The excitement wasn't great, I've heard.

lara

Who better to make wild comparisons of Nazism than a former Hitler Youth member.

I'm agnostic; clearly I'm the reincarnation of Stalin. Prepare for a.) non-decisive positions on deistic faith and b.) the salt mines.

Susanne

Quote:
Originally Posted by lara
Who better to make wild comparisons of Nazism than a former Hitler Youth member.

True.

I should feel a bit embarrassed for him now.

user79

The whole thing about his Hitler Youth past doesn't really affect me tbh. During those times, men didn't have a choice - boys were drafted into it at a certain age, and the army was by conscription. So I don't think that really matters.

Still, his comparison is ridiculous. Especially coming from the head of a church that has spent hundreds of years foisting their narrow morality on others at the detriment to women, children and gays.

lara

Via Twitter:
Quote:
Pope says atheists pick & choose their morals. Correct. Today I will be frowning on child abuse & not having a problem with homosexuality.
TweetDeck • 17/09/10 8:59 PM

I'm not anti-Papist or anti-Catholic. I am, however, against the mechinations of a religious capstone that feels that the middle-right policies of JPII were some sort of uber-liberal insanity that must be aggressively overridden.

euphrosyne_rose

Quote:
Originally Posted by Meisje
I would like to buy this Pope some indulgences --- he's going to need them.

That was awesome. I enjoyed that immensely.
thmbup.gif