Pressing Pigments

lauraglou

Can I use anything other than rubbing alcohol/isopropyl alcohol to press pigments. I can't seem to source any where I live as you need a licence to import it with it being a flammable liquid.
ssad.gif
The closest I can get is surgical spirit, but it stinks. I have a huge bottle if MAC mixing medium, would that be any good or is the whole point of rubbing alcohol is that it evaporates?

Thanks for any suggestions

xxainixx

i *think* i read someone using hand sanitizer. the alcohol will evaporate and the glycerin? will hold it together.

hth

Jupiter19

You don't have rubbing alcohol anywhere? You should be able to find that at any supermarket, drug store or pharmacy.

angi

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jupiter19
You don't have rubbing alcohol anywhere? You should be able to find that at any supermarket, drug store or pharmacy.

Unfortunately, generally not in the UK. I went everywhere to try and find some when I wanted to press my pigments. Turns out supermarkets, pharmacies etc don't stock it in bottles any more because people were buying it to drink. If they did stock it, it was on presoaked pads.

I got mine from ebay in the end, but don't know whether this is an option for you?

hello_kitty

!!!!! That's crazy! It's such a basic first aid thing, I can't believe it'd be hard to get in some places! Boo to idiots that think they can drink it!

I haven't heard of using hand sanitizer, but it might work. Just read the ingredients. Some have fragrances, moisturizers, and other weird stuff in it.

Maybe get a bottle of vodka? :p (Not the same type of alcohol, but hey! Never know, right?!)

lauraglou

Thanks guys. I'm off to the UK next week, so I might order some via ebay to be delivered to my aunties house. I just need to check with customs to see if they'll let me bring it back to Guernsey.

If not I'm going to give that hand sanitizer a go as I definitely reckon that would work.

Thanks for all your help
smiles.gif

1165Cheryl

Yeah, I wouldnt go with the hand sanitzer either...I did see a link/intructions with it in it but for myself it doesnt sound right.

Odette

Surgical spirit is the same as rubbing alcohol. Make sure that you get it in a 70% concentration and up so that it evaporates quickly; it will not leave any smell once dry. The alcohol is mainly good for pressing the shimmery pigments not the mattes. Try MAC's *face and body mixing medium for your matte pigments; mix equal parts of the mixing medium and distilled water or purified water in a small spray bottle or uses a dropper. (*Info garnered from Enkoremakeup)

ForgetRegret

I've used my water-based mixing medium to press some of my pigments before, and although it takes longer to dry, they're all holding up just fine.

lauraglou

Thanks, that's good to know. The story so far is that I've had to write a letter to the Guernsey customs officer and ask permission to bring 500mls of rubbing alcohol in to the island. I've had to tell them what I want it for and where I'm getting it from. Hopefully the fact that I'm buying it from Ebay won't blow my chances. Fingers crossed!