Price Increase?

pinkmilk

I was browsing the MAC website and discovered that the prices had gone up AGAIN! e/s are now $16 [originally 13.50 since sept rise], paints are $18.50 [org. 15], the MAC traincase is $250 [org 225], blushes are now $20 [org. 16.50], oil control lotion is $32 [org. 25], lipsticks $16.50 [org. 14]

Whats going on here!?

They are just totally trying to suck money out of us... its no fair!

Is this price rise for real?

pinkmilk

Quote:
Originally Posted by kristabella
they sound like the canadian prices to me, pinkmilk!

OHHH!!! ahaha... i wonder wat happened... i guess my browser picked canada for some reason...

*humph* i feel dumb!

Thanks! Im so relieved!

martygreene

Not yet that I know of, but it most likely will happen again sometime this winter. As I've mentioned before:
Quote:
MAC is an Estee Lauder subsidary. This means they follow the guidelines for Estee Lauder and it's associated brands. EL raises prices on assorted products $0.50 every July 1st, and once in the winter (although that date is dynamic, not the same every year) generally for items not effected by the July price increase.

It happens every year. It is not directly effected by packaging changes, the market, returns, etc. as this is basically a method of pro-rating what the production cost increase will be over a certain time and spreading it out. It's also to prevent major class-action lawsuits as we had a few years ago in regard to price fixing.

sweetbabigurl

Why did the prices go up?

just curious? why did they add a $ .50 - $1.o0 to everything (lets just sayL at M.A.C.?
i mean....i'm not saying its bad or nothing....it jus gets me thinking, but why did they do that? lol

plus...thats another 50 cents to a $1 for me to beg my parents for money UGH lol
cry.gif

mel0622

omg i know huh?! they did that i think a couple weeks ago but still! i wanna know why too. i know its cuz of that supply and demand crap but man i'm not made out of money!! lol.

MAC_Pixie04

the dollar value isn't the same in the economy. a dollar in 1972 is different than a dollar in 2002 and prices rise and fall accordingly. its not about MAC wanting to make more money necessarily, it's an economic thing.

rouquinne

um... well, prices didn't go up here in Canada.

MAC is manufactured - most of it - here in Canada and the Canadian dollar went up a LOT against the US dollar. meaning, it's more expensive for you in the US.

aerials

Quote:
Originally Posted by sweetbabigurl
godddd!!!
y cant it be like the good old days where $1 was worth alot "Back in the days"?!?!?!?!??!!?

You know that wouldn't make sense right?
Like MAC_pixie said, it's all relevant to the economy.

ledonatella

Estee Lauder brands always raise the prices after Christmas and usually once more during the year on select products. Remember it wasen't too long ago lipglass was $13.50 and not $14. All the E.L. brands do it, my brand just got a little bump on some products too.

jeanna

Quote:
Originally Posted by rouquinne
um... well, prices didn't go up here in Canada.

MAC is manufactured - most of it - here in Canada and the Canadian dollar went up a LOT against the US dollar. meaning, it's more expensive for you in the US.

i *think* they did (i'm in ontario). i remember paying $15.50 for an e/s pot before and now the site says $16.00. also, when i bought my stereo rose msf a few weeks ago, it was $27, but i'm pretty sure i paid $28 for my petticoat. i'll have to check my receipt from my lingerie haul to see what i paid for each item. maaan, i remember when MAC lipsticks were $10.00!!

martygreene

Yes, Prices went up. Here's why:

MAC is an Estee Lauder subsidary. This means they follow the guidelines for Estee Lauder and it's associated brands. EL raises prices on assorted products $0.50 every July 1st, and once in the winter (although that date is dynamic, not the same every year) generally for items not effected by the July price increase.

It happens every year. It is not directly effected by packaging changes, the market, returns, etc. as this is basically a method of pro-rating what the production cost increase will be over a certain time and spreading it out. It's also to prevent major class-action lawsuits as we had a few years ago in regard to price fixing.

If this practice is something that upsets you, contact MAC and inform them of your displeasure. The only way this will change is for MAC to return to being an independant company, and no longer an EL subsidiary.

blueyedlady87

I love MAC, but I dislike EL being its parent company. MAC is a big enough brand to go independent. EL probably would never do that b/c MAC brings in too many profits. One can wish. *sigh*

tracie

Quote:
Originally Posted by barbie_doll_713
I love MAC, but I dislike EL being its parent company. MAC is a big enough brand to go independent. EL probably would never do that b/c MAC brings in too many profits. One can wish. *sigh*

I'm sure that MAC has benefitted from being part of the EL family, not just financially, but with the ability to use EL resources, distribution factors, contracts with other companies. MAC is a large division, but I'm sure they'd run into problems if they were to become independent again.

aziajs

Yeah. I was just looking at the old color stories and when the msf's came out they were $18.50. Now they are $22.50. It's just a way of life I suppose.

amandamakeup

I could have sworn that the studiofix I bought at the mac pro in montreal last weekend was less than what I usually pay. Damn I threw out the bill!