ProActiv - yay or nay?

genia

wow so many nays. i actually love it.. it worked very well on me and ive been using it for 1-2 years now. my friend just recently got i and she says it works wonders on her too. both of us have completely different skin tones too (im tan and shes pale) and it didnt dry out or irritate us.

ballerino

nay was because the chemicals in proactiv strip your skin, exposing it to the elements, causing your skin to age prematurely and is open to all types of horrific damage. It strips your skin of its natural protective layer...
I used to use it and love it also, but then it stopped working. Ive used organic skincare ever since and my skin hasnt been better... Youll be spending years trying ot fix the damage down the track so stop while you still can...

Fairybelle

I LOVE
eyelove.gif
Proactiv and use it every day!! I used to have cystic acne and this stuff has made my skin pretty darn clear. I use it, then follow up with Clinique City Block SPF 40 every day (under my makeup). HTH!
And yes, this treatment, just like exfoliants and peels will make your skin more sensitive to sunlight, so SPF and limiting sun exposure are a must. But if you take the time to put some SPF on after Proactiv, you're set for the day!

farra712

Something I don't know if anyone has mentioned, but I wanted to bring up is that people have breakouts and oilyness for different reasons. Your location's weather plays a big part, but I actually have breakouts like you described when I become sensitive to something. Do you have breakouts anywhere other than your face? Like your neck, shoulders, etc? If so, you may be sensitive to something that you are using other than on your face or something you are ingesting. For example, a few weeks ago I noticed I was breaking out pretty badly and the oil was out of control. I started to break out a little on my back, shoulders, and chest. I tried some acne body washes, but in the end, it looks as if i was sensitive to the new laundry detergent my mom had switched to. I got some with no artificial fragrance, and everything is already starting to clear up and the oil production is going down. Excess oiliness can actually be caused when your skin feels like it needs to protect itself, which it will if you are having allergies or sensitivities to things you are unaware of. Also, if your skin is dry and flaky with an oiliness on top, that can mean that it is damaged and trying to heal and it is highly sensitive at the moment. For this, try something like Cetaphil for about a week and see if there is any change.

About proactiv: it is right for some people, and not right for others, but most importantly, see a dermatologist and see if you can pinpoint what is causing your breakouts becuase if it is something bacterial or related to allergy or sensitivity there are other products out there than can treat those conditions with less of a harsh effect. Also, don't exfoliate everyday unless you are using an exfoliator that claims that it can be used daily (and then I wouldn't use it that much if you don't absolutely have to. Keep trying. You will find something that works for you.

Treejewel19

I'm sure that everyone has mixed opinions about ProActiv. I myself used the product for six months (the recommended time by the company) in order to give the products the full opportunity to "kick in." Sadly I spent lots of money with out any real results. I did follow the kit exactly as it stated but found that the face wash is irritating to the skin and causes breakouts. However, I'm sure that some people out there might have had their acne solution solved by Proactiv. My suggestion is buy the the kit once or twice. You don't need too long to determine whether or not the product is right for you.

xiahe

i use proactiv and it's saved my skin so much - i had to keep using it for awhile tho before i started to notice a difference. my skin used to be terrible and now it's cleared up so much - i still get the stress/hormonal breakouts, tho!

MACATTAK

Quote:
Originally Posted by CantMAKEUPmyMIND
I have been using Proactiv for about a month and half now. At first, my skin was great. After about a week/week and half, my skin must have gotten used to it, and started to break out again. I'm on the search for new product. I don't have TERRIBLE acne, but I've had consistant acne (2-3 new flare ups a week or so) for about 11 years now...I've been the derm and nothing but Accutane had worked and my derm won't put me back on...so here I am at square one again.

Yeah...that happened to me too. Also, my skin is sensative so I couldn't use all products everyday...though you can customize your kit, my skin still seems to breakout even with the products. Give it a try though...different people have different effects.

KAIA

I've never really had a lot of acne, maybe just some pimples... 2 years ago, i started to wear make up... and my skin was going crazy!!! ( i was wearing some maybelline foundation and maybelline blush) so after this, i tried to spend a little more money and buy something with quality like MAC.
So back to the subject, i start using ProActiv... it was good indeed, my skin felt super clean and i like it.... since then MAC and ProActiv didn't let my skin go nuts.
I fell in love with the product everything was great... but a couple of months ago... evertyhing start to change again, i tried the "Repairing Lotion" and the next day i would wake up with an incredible rush all over my jaw and my neck and started to ich me... eww, and my skin is breaking out.. so based on my own story..i would say:
YAY in the beggining... NAY after some time...

valley

I used proactiv in different degrees for 3 years. step one was always too irritating for my skin.. but step 3 was perfect. then finally i got too cheap to pay 20 bucks for a small bottle of benzyl peroxide lotion... so i went to a drug store and picked up a 4 dollar product with the same igredients.

I'm a yay - I dont regret using it or finding an alternative with the same medication in it. BP works wonders for me
smiles.gif

sweetbabydreamr

ProActiv did wonders for me, and still does, although i've become a little lazy on my daily routine of using it. My facial problems were horrible until I used it and it cleared up so well, and even now when i'm not using it, my face has never gone as bad as it was before.

blindpassion

I have been using proactiv for upwards of three years. I am very loyal to it. I have what you would call acne, not breakouts, I have acne. To be honest, the proactiv never makes EVERYTHING go away, but it makes it 88% better and that's good enough for me. It also helps not only my acne go away but regulates my skin so it looks and feels healthier, there have been a lot of days I can go out with just spot concealer on a couple places and NO foundation. It's a great system and it makes my skin feel smooth and fantastic, I love using it.

blindpassion

One thing I will add to my last post,
DO NOT I repeat, DO NOT pick at your acne!
A lot of people start proactiv and continue to pop, squeeze and tweeze their pimples,
You can't expect proactiv to fix that, because it's something you're inflicting on yourself. I am guilty of this more then I'd like to admit, so save the tweezers for the eyebrows and not the breakouts.

smiles.gif

Salembeauty29

I have a question---are there any acne products that get rid of EXISTING acne? Most promise to stop breakouts, but what about the zits that are already there? Mine don't go away until I pick at them, which I know is really bad for your skin, but it's the only way I have to get them to go away.
ssad.gif

blindpassion

Quote:
Originally Posted by Salembeauty29
I have a question---are there any acne products that get rid of EXISTING acne? Most promise to stop breakouts, but what about the zits that are already there? Mine don't go away until I pick at them, which I know is really bad for your skin, but it's the only way I have to get them to go away.

So, the deal with pimples that are already there, is that it's hard to make them go away quick. Have you tried proactiv? I started it with a ton of acne, it takes a while to go away but personally when it went away, it barley came back. Only a few pimples once and a while, which I'm ok with. If you find an acne medicine that works for you, it's not going to work in two hours... it will probably take a few weeks to a few months to really start changing your skin and helping your acne go away. Most acne treatments like proactiv have spot treatment creams that you can put on certain pimples and leave on during the night to help dry them out and take down the swelling, but chances are they aren't going to work very well without using the whole treatment system (aka cleaner, mask, toner).

As far as picking at your pimples goes, DON'T DO IT. I can't stress this enough! I have had acne for over four years and I have a very uneven complexion now, NOT because of actual pimples... but because of scars from picking at my acne. I agree, it makes the pimple go away immediately when you pick it, but you will be left with a scar for a very long time. Mine aren't bad, but they are there, and now I'm thinking of going to a dermatologist to try and get some sort of scar cream to help even out my complection. I find also, that my acne goes away and stays away BETTER when I don't pick. I find if I pick at it, I'm just creating sores and making the problem worse... which is horrible for your skin. Do your best to not pick at it ever, it makes it 10 times worse hun.

Hope I helped!

LADII UNIQUE

my friend use proactiv but it seems her skin got worse and when she stopped using it and use other products it works now she got all this nasty acne scars