Project 10 Pan!

vintageroses

I haveeeeeeeeeeeee. haha but i end up buying more stuff when i'm on the project then when i'm not!!
ssad.gif
so now i just have things which i have hit pan & things i want to finish w/o saying i'm banned from buying makeup! haha that helps too. the word bann just makes the makeup side of me go wonky.hahas

Kragey

Quote:
Originally Posted by vintageroses
I haveeeeeeeeeeeee. haha but i end up buying more stuff when i'm on the project then when i'm not!!
ssad.gif
so now i just have things which i have hit pan & things i want to finish w/o saying i'm banned from buying makeup! haha that helps too. the word bann just makes the makeup side of me go wonky.hahas

I had that problem with my No Buy--it put makeup at the front of my mind constantly--but I feel like Project 10 Pan has a goal and a definitive end point, so I think I can make it. Plus we're coming on to summer and I'll be super busy the whole time; adding that to the mugginess, I don't think I'll be walking the 2 miles in to downtown all that often.
winks.gif

vintageroses

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kragey
I had that problem with my No Buy--it put makeup at the front of my mind constantly--but I feel like Project 10 Pan has a goal and a definitive end point, so I think I can make it. Plus we're coming on to summer and I'll be super busy the whole time; adding that to the mugginess, I don't think I'll be walking the 2 miles in to downtown all that often.
winks.gif

ohhh okays i'm weird :x HAHA but yea you should do it, i think you will feel really accomplished!
smiles.gif
I've finished a few products already yayyy!
smiles.gif
The only thing is that alot of people end up buying massively after project 10 pan. haha & have more then 10 products.HAHA

Twinkle_Twinkle

I think it's a cool idea. I thought about doing a "Patina 2010 Watch" on my blog because that's the shadow that I am soooo close to using up. But I wouldn't go on a No-Buy until I used up 10 products. Perhaps until I hit the pan on 10 products, but not use them up in their entirety. That would take soooo long. But finishing a product does give you such a sense of accomplishment.

Also I've considered this before, and discussed this with my friend and blog partner (because she disagrees), but for me, the point of using a product (especially a color product, rather than a basic face product like foundation, powder, or concealer) isn't to use it up, but just to get good use out of it. I'm never going to use up every product in my collection, nor do I want to. Sure I want to use up liquid and cream products with expiration dates in a timely manner, but I don't want to necessarily run out of eye shadows, blushes, etc. I just want to make sure that I'm getting my moneys worth out of a product, which is ultimately a personal estimation, that for me differs with the nature of the product. For example, I think I'm doing great if I get 5 or more uses out of an eye shadow.

I think something that I'd be more interested in doing is a "Shop Your Stash" Personal Challenge where you have to use half, or a quarter, or perhaps your entire collections worth of products at least once before you allow yourself to buy something new. That would be so cool because I think most of us have a tendency to use our favorite products, or our favorite new product of the moment on a regular basis and kind of forget about all that other stuff at the bottom of the train case. Plus you'd get really creative with color combos.

That to me seems like a more enjoyable way to drive the point home, and you don't have this singular obsession to finish a product, and you don't force yourself into a beauty rut because you're using the same products and colors over and over again.

That was longer than I intended it to be...

Kragey

Hey, I like that idea! I really need to do P10P because at this point, I'm buying duplicates and I have way too much stuff to clear out, but I may have to try an "enforced" shop your stash at some point.
smiles.gif

my_adored

I want to do a 'Project 10 Pan', but there is something that bothers me. Once I am done with those 10 products (being that I tend to use the same stuff a lot), I will have to buy those 10 products all over again because they are generally my favorite staples. But other than that, I can see doing it with a few items that I have back-ups for.

Vlcatko

Yay for P10P!
th_thstars.gif

Heh, what I mean is I am doing Project 10 pan right now and I feel very good/proud about it
winks.gif
I started 4 weeks ago and since then I have been able to use up 3 products
biguns.gif

I am also shopping my stash as I am trying to give love to all of my goodies. It makes finishing certain products harder, it is true, but as someone already said - this challenge isn't really about finishing products it is about realizing what you already have, playing with it and helping you with your monetary issues for a time.

I agree it isn't about using staple items until you finish them and having to buy them again. For me it is more about "I am not using my dazzleglasses enough because I feel I will use them up and they are so pretty and LE. But why when there are 5 other shades I would like right now - equally pretty and available all the time now." and "Why do I have 5 different -enter random beauty product- and ever use only two, I could toss the others and not notice!". I also think it is quite important to restrain yourself with the "haul after"
yes.gif
Even if you finished some staple like foundation or lipliner, is there really need to go and buy them all over again? I don't know about you but I have around 5 different foundations and other alternative products in almost everything - if I finish one up I see no reason to hurry and buy it again - I do not want my hard saved money (which Project 10 pan will definitely bring me) to leave me that quick
winks.gif

And so for the reasons above my personal P10P rules look like this:
  1. I have to fully use up 10 makeup/beauty products before I buy ANY new beauty/makeup item.
  2. Items eligible for this project are: makeup, skincare (scrubs, moisturizers...), handcare (polishes, creams, treatments...), fancy hair and body products (salon products...) and possibly other things.
  3. All used up items must be full size - no samples. (Also one use only items like masks or treatmets are a no-no.)
  4. During this project I will try and "shop my stash" so as to use all of my products at least once, preferably more.
  5. When I am finished with my 10th product I will NOT go and haul big to "make up for the lost time" - I will continue with my regular restriction 3 items per month if the money goes out of my account.
I think this way I will enjoy the project more, I will get to use all my goodies, I will save money and reduce my not-so-tame-anymore collection
smiles.gif

LisaOrestea

Haha, wow I definatly couldn't do this.

I have only ever used up 2 MAC items, and they were both foundations. I have black tied eyeshadow which I have owned since I was 13 (so that would be around 2002/2003) and I have only recently hit pan on it! I think I must just use my makeup really gently haha!

The only lipstick I have come close to finishing is High Top from the Fafi collecion, but I have a backup for that one now so I am no scared of using it up anymore.

My goldyrocks dazzleglass is kinda on its last legs now too, but I don't wanna finish it until I get the yellow gloss from alice and olivia.

vintageroses

Vlcatko : I like your last point about buying 3/month still! I see alot of people hauling & ended up with more than 10 items in the end!HAHA

Kragey

It's not about using my two big staples--the Hard Candy tinted moisturizer and the CoverGirl Remarkable mascara--for me because I made them exceptions to the rules. I mean, they're kind of basics as far as make-up goes, and I don't own or use any others (I own clear mascara, but I use that to set my brows), so I didn't see the point in trying to pan them.

I'm more focused on working through some of my samples and finishing up a few of my lipsticks, some of which are very similar in color. Because so much of my stuff is sample-sized, I made it so that 10 samples = 1 pan.

Also, I'm not including hair or skin care, since I use them every day any way.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xzNC1-o7TK8

Vlcatko

Quote:
I'm more focused on working through some of my samples and finishing up a few of my lipsticks, some of which are very similar in color. Because so much of my stuff is sample-sized, I made it so that 10 samples = 1 pan.

Also, I'm not including hair or skin care, since I use them every day any way.

I think Project 10 pan is great for this! Lipsticks, lipglosses, pencils of any kind - people usually have more of them then they regularly use - so great idea
thmbup.gif

Yeah, if you have that many samples I can see the sense it that
yes.gif
I wish we were given more samples here - I sometimes have the feeling we won't get anything we hadn't paid for, we are such a greedy nation
lol.gif

I woudn't include my skincare if I only used one set of items but few times in the past I got tempted by some products and now I have multiple skincare lines at my disposal - just tossing them away seems like a waste so I included them in my version of the project
smiles.gif

xKiKix

i am currently doing this, i haven't brought any new makeup for quite a while and i'm actually starting to use forgotten makeup that i dont even remember. at least now i'm saving money lol.

vintageroses

Quote:
I recently completed a different challenge I made for myself that, now that I'm looking at it, is a lot like the suggested "Shop Your Stash" challenge. Maybe I should change the name and do it with my micas as well.
greengrin.gif

(God, my face in video thumbnails...)

YouTube - Lippie Challenge! (AKA, "A Month O' Mouthiness")

YAYS Renee!
smiles.gif
I'm going to do this & it will be my first video! Might be up later in the month though, uni is insane now! But i'll post it as a video response!
greengrin.gif
I might just start off today!
greengrin.gif

Kragey

Quote:
Originally Posted by vintageroses
YAYS Renee!
smiles.gif
I'm going to do this & it will be my first video! Might be up later in the month though, uni is insane now! But i'll post it as a video response!
greengrin.gif
I might just start off today!
greengrin.gif

Sweet! Best of luck to you!

nunu

I sort off approached mine in a different way. I restricted myself to using a collection for 2-4 weeks. For example i got into MAC when the antiquitease, McQueen and smoking collections came out, so what i did is took all of the products that i bought from these collections and used them for a period of time. Not everything was used all at once but atleast i got to establish some old favorites..The next round will be using the collections that came after that etc..that way i get back to using the old collections instead of letting them sit at the bottom of my drawers
smiles.gif

Ethlinn

I love these kind of challenges. I do something like that too. I keep a notebook with things I have to finish and I love to cross them.