Protecting New Hair Colour

ostentatious

I'm just wondering if anyone has any tips and products to help protect newly coloured hair. I've only ever used 6 week washes in my hair, and that was a couple of years ago. I guess you could say I'm somewhat of a salon colour virgin.

I just had my hair dyed from it's natural colour to a a gorgeous mocha brown with some subtle red and blonde foils and I want to maintain the colour and glossyness for as long as possible. Any advice?

ExquisiteImages

Quote:
Originally Posted by ostentatious
I'm just wondering if anyone has any tips and products to help protect newly coloured hair. I've only ever used 6 week washes in my hair, and that was a couple of years ago. I guess you could say I'm somewhat of a salon colour virgin.

I just had my hair dyed from it's natural colour to a a gorgeous mocha brown with some subtle red and blonde foils and I want to maintain the colour and glossyness for as long as possible. Any advice?

Do treatments at least once a week to prevent your hair from breakage/split ends. Pantene Pro-V is fine. You can buy it at Wal-Mart for about $5.00 a jar. When shampooing and conditioning your hair, do not use hot water to rinse. Use cool or slightly warm water to rinse so that the color lasts longer. Hope that helps!

ostentatious

Thanks for the tips! I usually finish my showers with a blast of cold water, but I'll try using cooler whater the whole time. (Though it will be difficult because it's approachin Winter here in Australia)

Should I choose a certain type of shampoo and conditioner?

Shimmer

don't use clarifying, because it'll strip the color off faster.

Only wash your hair, if you can s tand to, every third day, and stay away from Pantene, it'll coat your hair with waxlike stuff and cause breakage. I'd recommend something from the salon.
smiles.gif

ostentatious

Quote:
Originally Posted by shimmer
don't use clarifying, because it'll strip the color off faster.

Only wash your hair, if you can s tand to, every third day, and stay away from Pantene, it'll coat your hair with waxlike stuff and cause breakage. I'd recommend something from the salon.
smiles.gif

I have a Kerastase Shampoo but it's for Oily hair. Will this strip the colour?

Shimmer

it shouldn't...if it's not a clarifying (buildup removing) shampoo.
smiles.gif

I'm a redhead but I dye my hair redder, and I keep my color the way I mentioned earlier.

THough, it is harder in the summer because I wanna play in the pool and we keep a lot of clorine in it. :/

ToxicAllure

I color my hair a lot...and its amazingly healthy.

Being the hairslut that I am...I stick to the professional products...but I tend to by them from a supply store, its a lot cheaper then a salon.

So lets see....*digs through bathroom* For awhile I used Pureology Antifade Complex shamp. and con. It worked well...but recently I started using Redken Color Extend and I like it much better.

Also...depending on how damaged and/or treated your hair is you can use some other products. I'm a HUGE fan of:

Paul Mitchell Super Skinny Serum
Redken UV Rescue
HealthySexyHair Soy Poition​

The Skinny Serum is a silicon based product and it protects your hair from thermal damage (i.e. blow drying, flat ironing etc), plus it smells good. I use it every day, even if I don't do anything to my hair.

The Redken product is a protective oil. You may or may not need this. See I like in Hawaii, so I spend a lot of time at the beach, and if you've ever have massively color treated hair (bleach being the biggest) you'll noticed that after a day at the beach, with your hair soaking up all those rays it gets uber dry. I use this to help protect it, it also works wonders even if your hair isn't color treated

I use theSoy Potion once in awhile if my hair feels really dull and weak, and it almost instantly fixes it up. It's awesome.

Ok I'm going to shut up now

kimmy

i've had coloured hair for a couple years now. non stop, i haven't even SEEN my natural colour in like two years hahaha. the last time i dyed it, i used a burgundy/black professional dye and it's really glossy and shiny looking, i did that about...3 weeks ago.

i've been using l'oreal vive intense smooth shampoo and conditioner, and it's held my colour EXTREMELY well.

of course, i used to use a heated flat iron on my hair everyday and i don't do that much anymore, so if you plan on using alot of heated styling tools you should invest in a silicon based serum to protect your hair from becoming too heat damaged.

and NEVER use a calrifying shampoo unless you absolutely have to!

melissa

I second the Redken Color Extend. I always have some sort of color or toner in my hair and I never used to use color safe shampoo and conditioner. I finally realized that I should start protecting my "investment" and switched to Redken. I LOVE Redken because it makes my hair soft and shiney and my color doesn't fade. I heard Pureology is also good, although I haven't tried it.

You're only suppose to wash your hair every other day. If you can't go a day without washing your hair like me, just shampoo your scalp and condition the ends. Also, stay away from that Biosilk stuff. Theres so much alcohol in it (you could smell it) that it will dry out your hair and strip the color. Skinny serum is good as well as Shine and Smooth by Enjoy.

ette

I have deep chocolate brown hair with glints of red and bronze.
I love these products:
Paul Mitchell Super Skinny Serum to protect from damage (I flat iron a lot...too much...I need to stop. LOL but this helps so much).
Paul Mitchell Gloss Drop - use one drop and your hair looks super shiny and healthy.
Brilliant Brunette Shampoo and Conditioner - these keep the darkness and shinyness. However, see the rec below which I use after my Brilliant Brunette Glaze...keeps color locked in and doesn't deposit moisture however shine.
Dove Therapy for Extremely Damaged Hair - LOOOOVE! I use it after shampoo, conditioner, and glaze, and leave it in for 2 minutes for a normal treatment, up to ten in a cap for days where I'm shaving. It has turned my hair around.
Clairol Natural Insticts Glaze in Dark Brown (DO NOT USE THE CLEAR SHINE ONE, LIGHTENS AND BRASSIFIES HAIR!!!) - this is excellent! I use it about once a month, it lasts 6-7 shampoos and makes hair SO shiny. Use it before a big event.
Paul Mitchell Color UV Restoratives - I use this once a week, for 10 minutes. Adds shine, body, and moisture.
L'Anza Color Line Sun Protection - This smells soooooooo good (like orange juice) and is really good before you go out in the sun.
LOL as you can see I am a complete product junkie and these are all HG's for my dry, fine hair!