Quality v. Quantity?

j_absinthe

It's been awhile since I've been here, save for the occasional lurk. I've got a bit of comp access time and figured I'd jump back into the swing of things. Hope everyone has been well, and if this thread is too much like one that exists, feel free to bury it...

This weekend with the release of Electroflash, like any other collection that catches my eye, I've been budgeting and looking online for swatches and reviews. It's no lie that MAC is definently revving up their releases, a total onslaught for cosmetic consumers everywhere.

When I first saw that they were again going with MES duos, I was worried to say the least. Antiquitease MES duos were glitter bombs, which was sad because they were so gorgeous, same with Flashtronic before. However, I've been reading lots of newer reviews saying that the quality is definently up from the past two MES releases.

Then there is the Cult of Cherry collection, which is basically my cosmetic heaven this year, but in between and after that, MAC is deciding to push a helluva lot of product in between. Not to mention that CoC is a pretty hefty Fall collection-with a bunch of perm. products and products from oh-so recent collections for extra padding. I've only been deep into this MAC collecting game for about a year or so, but I don't recall it ever being this overbearing. As with Electroflash though, I'm hearing alot of good things about the quality of the products themselves.

Does the quality of the product help determine how much you're willing to spend on a collection? Is it getting overbearing for you as a collector with all of these collections at once, and if so, is it even more daunting to you if the product they're releasing is becoming more refined?

Thoughts?

sua

What type of product, price, quality, quantity, and alternative brands are very big factors in my decision making. They're pretty much equal in importance. I also ask myself "Am I really really going to reach for this a lot?". Since I started my collection I've already accumulated a few items I don't use often. I don't like it
nonono.gif
. Although, collecting make up is fun.

i.e. sonic chic blushes. ~$21 without tax for ~3g opposed to regular blushes that have 6g. Other brands like BB sell ~3.5g powder blush for ~$20 without tax.. The Sonic Chic blushes are baked and pigmented, so it might actually last as long as a regular 6g powder blush. Quality and packaging is attractive. However there are the elusive MSF's repromotes this fall.... but six of these blushes are also being repromoted
th_dunno.gif
.. etcetera!

I like seeing more than just 4 collections, but the amount of MAC is too much. I think they should slim it down to six.

purrtykitty

I consider MAC to be a pretty decent value compared with other premium brands. After the whole Flashtronic deal though (with those MES not being of very good quality) I have started taking quality into account when buying MAC. These Electroflash MES I found to be nice enough quality-wise to warrant me purchasing, however, I chose to pass on Gulfstream (from Cool Heat) because I did not think the texture was up to par (even though I found the color to be gorgeous).

I'm not a collector per se, however, I do enjoy MAC far more than any other brand. And since I purchase to use, then quality is important to me. I don't want to waste money on something that I'm not going to use.

JustDivine

The one thing that helps me keep my sanity and not go overboard with new collections is the Clearance Bin!

When I see all the stuff people are selling (albeit for various reasons but often because they bought unnecessary things or just spent silly amounts of money that they later regret) it reminds me to get just what I need. I would hate to be in the position where I've bought because everyone else is, or to be trapped by the "its LE" mentality.

The clearance bin helps me to keep perspective!!

I was gonna ask a similar question....do you feel compelled to buy something from each collection? Are you only interested in items that you genuinely have need for, or do you feel like you must find something to buy from each collection.

Sorry, hope I'm not hijackin. I guess this fits in with what you're asking...

knoxydoll

Other than pigments (I buy almost everyone I can get my hands onto) I have very select taste. I've been budgeting a lot more since school fees have gone up for me and I've been travelling a lot more. I give thanks to websites like specktra that give me an advance look at everything. It really helps to figure what I really want and need versus what just looks pretty. I've passed on quite a few of the last few releases and I don't plan on buying much more till winter time.
Ans sua said it best. MAC needs to slim down the amount they release.

esmeralda89

I only buy what i need and see if the colors are right for me, yes it is easy to get persuaded by all the swatches but sometimes they just dont work for me. I learned that when fafi came out every one was buying stuff so i got into the hype and bought things i would never wear, the colors are all wrong i regret purchasing them
ssad.gif
i also dont think i need 20 blues, or 6 greens etc.(eyeshadows) so i only have about 2 to 3 eyeshadows that are close in color. I am also they type of person who thinks that having cool makeup calls for a fasionable oufit, shoes, bags you name it. That is why i dont go cazy for these types of colections id rather buy something unique, a non dupable color that would look good with my skin color, that way i can buy other things or save my money
smiles.gif

rbella

I like to read the reviews here and get other people's perspectives. However, I don't think that things like packaging would make me buy a product. Especially if I already own it. I like to hear what people have to say about their review on color, payoff, texture, etc. Then, I take that information and compare it to my own in-store review and then come home to ponder on what I will purchase. I like getting excited about the release of LE's. But, I get pissed when they are re-promoted.

I don't think I could technically call myself a MAC collector, simply because I don't actually seek out products from previous LE's or try and buy an entire LE collection. But, I would call myself a makeup collector. I am very interested in unique products, colors, texture, etc. and MAC is definitely a company that fits into my collection. They are probably the most rigorous in marketing, but I can't help but want all the products they have that I feel are different from what I can get elsewhere. Yes, I think quality counts, but as a collector, quantity counts as well.

coachkitten

I agree with rbella. I try to look at peoples reviews, swatches, FOTDs, and also test the colors at the counter. With all of the collections that MAC releases I have HAD to cut down on what I buy. I just can't get everything I want. It seems that a lot of the colors that are coming out can be duplicated by another LE or regular MAC product so I am trying to do more of that. I have a really hard time limiting myself but normally once the collection passes I don't worry so much about the products I didn't end up getting.

redambition

While MAC is still my cosmetics brand of choice, TBH I am taking a bit of a step back from the collections and trying to shop my stash (and use it up a bit!), and also look at the permanent line more.

That's not to say that I won't consider any LE items, but I am trying to avoid buying LE items just because they are LE. The collections have been coming so thick and fast that it's overwhelming. While I definitely collect makeup, I have my limits in how much I can store.

BunnyBunnyBunny

In the end I would rather have quality over quantity. I would rather have less amount of something wonderful than have alot of crap. But prices are very important as well. An example being the Dazzleglasses. Yes they are beautiful and awesome, but there's soooo much less product and they are much more than normal glasses. That's an example where I'd rather just go with a normal Lipglass that has a glitter effect.

SMMY

I agree with Bunny, I will splurge occasionally with a collection (Heatherette and Barbie love!) or with a single item if the item is unique and the quality is topnotch (one word: Guerlain's Sunset Bronzer), but generally I evaluate the items I'm interested in based on both aesthetic and practical values. Dazzleglass is a great example. Yes, it is a great product, but at it's price point, I'd be better off buying Chanel Glossimers as they would last longer. I did buy a Dazzleglass, but at my CCO. I like the product, but wouldn't skip buying a couple of lipglasses which would last me quite a bit longer and give me more color options than the purchase of a single Dazzleglass. I guess I don't mind a bit of a splurge if I know that I will get more than a couple of applications out of a product.

I've only been into Mac for about four years now, but I do know that not everything Mac releases is topnotch quality unfortunately. I do think the constant increase in the rate of collections released do make some items not up to the quality Mac is capable of. This is why I hold off a little on some collections and especially some new products, because nothing feels worse than feeling that you've just become a beta tester for a cosmetic company. So unless I'm sure I'll love the item (clever and pretty packaging is my one weakness) I will hold off purchasing items until I get to the counter or I at least see some reviews here. The best way to determine whether or not something is going to work for you is to go to the counter and not order online, if possible. I made that mistake with the Untamed collection and never again.

So now I don't buy from every collection and I would not consider buying anything Mac has released in the past from ebay at larcenous prices. To newer Mac collectors my advice is to be patient, as there will always be something new and beautiful that Mac releases that will blow your socks off. Don't settle on something that won't work for you, just because there is a lot of noise on the board regarding that product.

FiestyFemme

Definitely quality over quantity. I can't say I've never fallen for the LE hype - there have been times I've gotten things just to say I have them. However, I always ended up regretting it. So what if it's a popular product? If it doesn't work for me and I'm not going to use it, what good does it do me to own it? I'm pretty selective now when it comes to LE collections. I buy what I think I'll use, but not just so I can say I'll have it.

SMMY

Another point is that despite hype, most of these LE items will end up at a CCO. After four years of being a MAC fan, I often end up making the decision on whether or not I want it badly enough to buy it when it first comes out or wait a bit and pick it up at my CCO. There are so many items I purchased when I was really into MAC early on that I now see popping up at my CCO and I mentally kick myself a bit when that happens. So that really amps up my choosiness now when dealing with a new collection. Example: Electroflash and Sonic Chic - I'm only buying the Sea and Sky eye shadow duo from that collection. I'll wait til the both collections show up at my CCO to decide if there is anything else I want from these collections. And trust me, a lot of these items will show up there. Fafi and Heatherette items are already there.

Paramnesia

I'm very very very picky with what i buy. I don't have a lot of money and generally buy off ebay or cp's because prices here just make me mad.
I'll pretty much only buy what i desperately want. By the time collections make it here i'm normally over them.

Shaquille

I definitely go for quality. Although I am drooling at every MAC collection, I try to play it smart.
When new collections are out, I always refer to make up collection. If I have the colors in my collection I don't buy them, even if they're different textures.
I also tend to mix my colors to create a particular color. That helps a lot.
I am also disappointed with Silversmith, of how much it's glittery and messy. I am thinking of selling/swapping it, but then again, I don't have dark blue and silver, and I can always use silversmith for that. As for the glitter part though, I make use of cotton swap to wipe it off.
Also once in awhile I look at ebay if there's any cheap authentic MAC I can buy. As for the new collections, I have to pull in my patience as there will be sale in the Clearance Bin section of this forum.
And I just hate the fact that MAC here is more expensive than in the US, and that there is no CCO over here..

cutiebe2

I really think about everything I buy. While it would be nice to have some MES, I don't think I would use them that much. I love mac and because of the price I want to get my money's worth on everything. I like shadows that I will use frequently and eventually use up. I might have a small collection, but everything in the collection fits my needs.