Question about 10% Glycolic Acid

banjobama

I just bought DDF 10% Glycolic Acid toner because of the rave reviews on MUA, and I am wondering the best way to use it.

I was thinking about using it every other night for a few days, and then working up to every night, so it doesn't dry out my skin right away. I use SPF 30 on my face every day.

Also, do you put on moisturizer immediately after using the toner? Or wait for a few minutes? I have no idea.

Final question: would it help to fade a scar on my neck from surgery if I swipe some on it? Or should I not bother.

Thank you in advance for any tips!
smiles.gif

darkwater_soul

Glycolic acid is what is known as a Alpha Hydroxy Acid - AHA, meaning a fruit based acid. It works on the keratin (top) layer of skin, helping to remove the *glue* that holds your dead layers of skin together, to uncover fresh new skin, and encourages newer, healthier cells to the surface. Yes, it will help to speed the fading of that scar, but it itslef will not affect the actual coloring. Best to use once or twice a week, and build up the tolerance, that it s strong product! Not around the eyes, only use a night, and you can use the moisturiser whenver afterwards. HTH.
smiles.gif

girlsaidwhat

I'm not familiar with /this/ product...

But I use the MD Forte line of skin care products, which is all glycolic based. The level 1 products are at 10%, the level 2 at 20%, and the level 3 at 30%.

I use the 30% line, daily, and it's done wonders to get whatever it is that holds old skin together to dissolve. My skin was a bit of a mess before that, oily and yet tight and dry all at once. It's much improved now.

When I first started to use the line at level 1, I used the products every other day to get acclimated. I didn't have any issues with over-drying...just be sure to use a good moisturizer and a good SPF to nourish and protect the new skin that will be coming to the surface.

user79

Is glycolic acid used for acne prone skin? I don't have acne but I get milia around the outside part of my eye area (like around the temples) and wondering if using a glycolic acid toner would help prevent those? Also, I have some small blackheads around the corners of my nose, would it work for that? Do you need a prescription for these toners?

newagetomatoz

Generally, gylcolic acid is used for acne prone skin, but it is used in a lot of other skin care products due to the fact that it *exfoliates.* (It encourages cell turnover).

Gylcolic acid toners may *help* reduce your milis, but not make them go away completely. Different people's body chemistry accounts for some of the variation in product results.

Same for the blackheads. It may help reduce them, but not solve it entirely; it is a system customized to you that works best.

So with that in mind, you could probably find one at a drugstore for a decent price to try out (they are not prescribed ^_^) and hopefully it will give you some good result!

banjobama

Quote:
Originally Posted by MissChievous
Is glycolic acid used for acne prone skin? I don't have acne but I get milia around the outside part of my eye area (like around the temples) and wondering if using a glycolic acid toner would help prevent those? Also, I have some small blackheads around the corners of my nose, would it work for that? Do you need a prescription for these toners?

I have been using mine for a few weeks, and it seems to have really helped with the blackheads on my nose, and I think it dried up a few spotty things on my chin. So far I am very happy with it!