Question about Prep+Prime face spf50

Do you girls put this on after moisturizer or before? (If you wear moisturizer that is)

Also, do you feel like you need moisturizer on top/before this? I've heard that its drying, but my skin is oily, and I want to use it in the summer, where it will be even more oily.

Thanks for any advice!

kaspergirl

i put this on over my mostuirizer...i dont really find this stuff to be dry, i find it actually more oilier and thicker consistency. I had the prep and prime originally without the spf and I personally like that one better...this prep and prime with the spf seems to not glide on as smooth and just makes my face feel like i almost have a mask on or something.....once im finished with this one im going back to the one without the spf......

flymestza

I moisturize first then apply. I have normal to dry skin so I do feel the need to use a moisturizer with it. I don't really find this drying though and it really helps keep my foundation on.

alka1

Like the previous posters have said, P+P SPF 50 is not drying to the skin. However.. If you have dry skin, it might accentuate the flaky areas a little. You should have no problems if you moisturize beforehand.

MAC_Whore

You should always moisturize before you prime. I have normal to occasionally (slightly) dry skin. As the day passes, the P+P SPF50 does begin to feel tighter/drier on my face than the normal P+P.

neonbright

Quote:
Originally Posted by kaspergirl
i put this on over my mostuirizer...i dont really find this stuff to be dry, i find it actually more oilier and thicker consistency. I had the prep and prime originally without the spf and I personally like that one better...this prep and prime with the spf seems to not glide on as smooth and just makes my face feel like i almost have a mask on or something.....once im finished with this one im going back to the one without the spf......

I feel the same way, I just went back to the one without spf. I have T-zone skin.

chickatthegym

thanks for asking this Keltic.. I was going to ask the same question because I have very oily skin (esp in the summer since I live in the south). What kind of moustrizer is best to use before this primer?

spectrolite

^^I have oily skin and I love Prep + Prime Face Protect! I use Biotherm Hydra-Detox Cream underneath it at the moment. I avoid applying moisturizer to my t-zone and instead use Mac Matte in that area and then apply the Prep + Prime on top. In winter I use the Biotherm and Mac's Moisturelush Cream on my drier areas (cheeks). Go for a light moisturizer that is oil free I reckon.

chickatthegym

^ Oh thanks! I will have to try that MAC Matte... I have heard quite a few good things about it underneath Studio Sculpt. I have a ton of MAC products and just haven't expermiented with putting them together and I am a little confused as to what works best with what.

X4biddenxLustX

I use this as my primer and main source of spf. So I apply it after moisturizer and before my face makeup.

This product on makeupalley.com gets a lot of raves for helping with oilies throughout the day but I didn't find it to honestly have any effect on mines =[ I do agree that it is also quite a bit heavy on the face too so I try not to apply too much of it.

NatalieMT

When I was using Prep&Prime SPF 50 I used to apply it over moisturiser. Personally I didn't find it drying at all, infact I did think it was a little heavy and oily for my liking. I'm not sure if that's just me though. It certainly made my foundation look better for longer but it terms of keeping shine away I wouldn't say it worked in that sense for me. I only really bought it because at the time I needed to be wearing a high SPF due to having laser treatment for acne.

I stopped using it after the first tube was finished, switched to Guerlain Meteorites Perles Light Diffusing Perfecting Primer and it's absolutely gorgeous and definitely gives that matte look I wanted but my skin feels so soft with it on, makeup wears so much better with it aswell. They also have one called L'Or Radiance Concentrate that's lovely too, has 24 karat gold in it, with a tightening effect added. The bottle also lasts forever, because the smallest amount goes so far!

X4biddenxLustX

I think I'm going to try Shiseido's Spf lotion/fluid which from reviews can also double as a primer also instead next time. It's much cheaper than the Prep+Prime SPF 50 also. You get like 3 times more product for only a few bucks more.

II3rinII

just so you know p+p spf is NOT a primer, its a face protector/sunscreen. on the packaging it instructs to use it with moisturizers and with your prep +prime face. they are different products. if your are specifically wanting a primer, go with p+p face, if its sun protection do the spf50.

X4biddenxLustX

Quote:
Originally Posted by II3rinII
just so you know p+p spf is NOT a primer, its a face protector/sunscreen. on the packaging it instructs to use it with moisturizers and with your prep +prime face. they are different products. if your are specifically wanting a primer, go with p+p face, if its sun protection do the spf50.

Thanks for clearing that up. I wasn't aware of that since it's called Prep+Prime also. I just had read a lot on makeupalley.com about people having great results with it being used mainly as a primer so I thought it was also a primer just with the added protection of spf50.

I have tried the regular Prep+Prime Primer and didn't like it at all. I ended up being allergic to something in it, don't know what but my skin broke out in a rash everytime I used it. Same thing happened with Smashbox Photofinish Primer.

II3rinII

Quote:
Originally Posted by X4biddenxLustX
Thanks for clearing that up. I wasn't aware of that since it's called Prep+Prime also. I just had read a lot on makeupalley.com about people having great results with it being used mainly as a primer so I thought it was also a primer just with the added protection of spf50.

I have tried the regular Prep+Prime Primer and didn't like it at all. I ended up being allergic to something in it, don't know what but my skin broke out in a rash everytime I used it. Same thing happened with Smashbox Photofinish Primer.

maybe its the silica since both p+p and photofinish have it. and yeah a lot of people think the spf50 is also a primer, including other artists we had a debate at work over it and our trainer cleared it up for us. basically prep and prime is the "line" and withen that line we have a primer, a facial sunblock, a lip primer, lash primer and eye primers and soon we will have the refine zone, line filler and powder that will also be a part of the p+p line.

X4biddenxLustX

Quote:
Originally Posted by II3rinII
maybe its the silica since both p+p and photofinish have it. and yeah a lot of people think the spf50 is also a primer, including other artists we had a debate at work over it and our trainer cleared it up for us. basically prep and prime is the "line" and withen that line we have a primer, a facial sunblock, a lip primer, lash primer and eye primers and soon we will have the refine zone, line filler and powder that will also be a part of the p+p line.

I do think that the silica plays apart in the breakouts that I get. I think it also has to do a lot with the amount of it in the product too.

Will the new refine zone be considered a primer? I mean from the description I've heard so far of it, it sounds sort of like a pore refining product.

II3rinII

no its not a primer but it is part of the prep and prime line. it is a great mattifer for the t-zone, and makes pores "look" invisible. with continued use it does improve the skins texture, our trainer gave me her training sample because her skin was to dry to use it and i absolutly love it, use it everyday. im pissed its limited, when it comes out im stocking up!

staceb1990

People have already answered this, but I want to tell the OP that I love your signature and Regina Spektor
smiles.gif

BlahWah

Hmm, I was never told P&P spf50 *wasn't* a primer especially since it does make my foundation stay on better. Maybe not smoother, but foundation clings to it better. Well either way, it's definitely one of my HG products, no matter what it's called!

As for it being oilier, I find the opposite. The regular one makes everything slide right off my face! I also find the mattifier to do the same. Until the Mineralize line came out I definitely couldn't imagine wearing foundation without P&P spf!

As for the original question, I always moisturize beforehand. I've been using MAC's Studio Moisture Cream for the last year and my oily skin is okay with the lotion even though it's not particularly geared for oilier skin and even through the summer. I used to use Vichy's Normaderm but found it didn't give enough hydration so my skin would overcompensate. Same case with MAC's Oil Control lotion.

I guess at the end of the day take our comments as guidelines and see what works the best for you. I took a chance on the Moisture Cream and can't imagine going without it now, but who ever would've thunk it? =)

X4biddenxLustX

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlahWah
Hmm, I was never told P&P spf50 *wasn't* a primer especially since it does make my foundation stay on better. Maybe not smoother, but foundation clings to it better. Well either way, it's definitely one of my HG products, no matter what it's called!

As for it being oilier, I find the opposite. The regular one makes everything slide right off my face! I also find the mattifier to do the same. Until the Mineralize line came out I definitely couldn't imagine wearing foundation without P&P spf!

As for the original question, I always moisturize beforehand. I've been using MAC's Studio Moisture Cream for the last year and my oily skin is okay with the lotion even though it's not particularly geared for oilier skin and even through the summer. I used to use Vichy's Normaderm but found it didn't give enough hydration so my skin would overcompensate. Same case with MAC's Oil Control lotion.

I guess at the end of the day take our comments as guidelines and see what works the best for you. I took a chance on the Moisture Cream and can't imagine going without it now, but who ever would've thunk it? =)

I too found the original P+P to make my makeup slide off in just a few hours!