Question for those with HUGE MAC collections...

koolmnbv

What is the easiest way to categorize everything? Also what is the easiest program to use?? I'm not very computer savvy lol

lara

Bump!

I just installed a photo album onto my website and am in the process of photographing everything MAC - I figure that way I can access it from wherever I am in the world, check to see if colours look similar to what I already have, see what I've marked as my personal/client favourites and base my buying around that.
I'm also putting my better FOTD pictures and client face-charts up so I can get some inspiration to wear make-up every now and then.
lol.gif
smiles.gif

Maybe this is an option for people who don't have any SQL skills.
smiles.gif

mspixieears

Mine isn't what I'd call huge (call that denial!) and I use MAC Excel. Once I started forgetting a couple of things I have and don't have that was reason enough for me to start databasing them *blush*

I do have a big-arse book collection; till my old laptop crashed, I could even list if someone borrowed a book and on what date. Now that's geekdom.

im_a_princess

Quote:
Originally Posted by allan_willb
That is such a great idea.Thank god I pretty much know everything I have so I don't go out and buy doubles because I'm sure a lot of girls do that.I think I need a PDA now hah!

thank god i've got one, i'm gonna start a list NOW! and allan... if you need to get a pda, you're getting it from me!

ilovexnerdsx

in my computer class this past year we learned how to use formulas in excel and do all this complicated stuff
icon_eek.gif

my collection isn't big yet but i keep it on an excel spreadsheet:

macinventory.jpg

sewpunk

Wow, I never considered keeping a spread sheet, I am all over this. I love making spread sheets! Thanks for the great idea

CaliKris

Quote:
Originally Posted by sewpunk
I love making spread sheets!

Please come over and do mine them, I do not have the patience to sit there and do it! =]
wavey.gif

sewpunk

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaliKris
Please come over and do mine them, I do not have the patience to sit there and do it! =]
wavey.gif

Ok! You live in Philly?
cutey.gif
rofl.gif

Viva_la_MAC_Girl

I use Microsoft Excel - and I also sync it up to my PDA so when I am at the MAC store I can see what I need - when I leave myself memo's or make sure I that I don't by the same thing if I already have it.
smiles.gif
Or unless I need a backup!

Viva_la_MAC_Girl

Quote:
Originally Posted by ilovexnerdsx
in my computer class this past year we learned how to use formulas in excel and do all this complicated stuff
icon_eek.gif

my collection isn't big yet but i keep it on an excel spreadsheet:

macinventory.jpg

Thats what I use - its sooooooooo easy!!!!
smiles.gif
I set mine up a lil' bit differnt

MiCHiE

I don't have a huge collection but I do keep mine on my Treo in a program called HandyShopper, which is a free program. You can set up different databases, include the price, tax, quanity and particular store. I have one for MakeUp On Hand and another on for what I want/need. When I buy what I want/need, I can tap and have it moved to the On Hand DB. It's very handy and keeps me focused when I shop.

I tried Excel, since I do have it on my phone also, but I think this is much easier, if you can access it.

SELFstyled

Heh so I'm not the only "geek" that keeps her collection on Excel (desktop & Treo).
winks.gif
Though I incorporate all my make up not just the MAC stuff. I do it so I don't end up buying doubles & to have a list of what I need refils on.

stickles

I keep everything on a single-page spreadsheet, that tracks what day it has been printed out on. I've had to shrink the list down to 6pt font to do it, but it's really useful when I bring it to the counter to see what similar stuff I might have.

My stash is organized by product type, product name, collection, finish, color family, warm or cool toned, palette name, date of purchase, and purchase price. The red area is my eye-related stuff, the blue is the face stuff, the green the lip stuff, the purple is my current wishlist or potential products that I'm mulling over. The circled part is where ouch, I keep the grand total of how much I've paid for it all....

w73285255.bmp

Tash

I'm the Access queen so I made a database with all the forms and reports. I have a form to input stuff into that stores every single amount of information about it.

iamheartcore

I have my list on an excel spreadsheet categorized by face, eyes, lips, other. They are listed as follows:

FACE
Powders (all types, I include the type it is also)
Foundation (all types)
Blush
MSF's
Bronzers

EYES
Shadesticks
Eyeshadows
Fluidline
Eyeliners (all types)

LIPS
Lipliners (all types)
Lipsticks (all types)
Lipglass (all types)

OTHER
Pigments

I also transfer the excel file into my Palm Treo so when I go to MAC, I don't buy duplicates!

stephie06

i really need to keep track of what i've bought! you ladies have given me great ideas! i'm going to do it in access so i don't forget all the things i've learned this semester in my computer class!
smiles.gif

TRUEFASHIONISTA

I have my collection on an excel spreadsheet as well. I just B2M'd about 66 products (whew! I had a lot of pots that needed palettes LOL) and I had to reorganize my list again. I have it saved in two parts; wants and haves. And even though I can access it via phone, I keep a printout in my wallet just in case.