Recs for brown eyeshadows

JoeyEmma

I've been looking at my collection and realised I have no brown eyeshadows. I do own satin taupe and moth brown, but neither of them seem to come up brown on me.

I like the colour of tempting in the pan, but I hate the lustre finish. I have retrospeck and honey lust and hate the glitter and the fact that they won't stay on well.

I've looked at some of the other browns, but they all seem to remind me of mid-90's matte neutral shades that they wore in series 1 of Friends.

I was wanting a brown that would blend in nicely with things like humid, woodwinked, satin taupe etc.

Any recs would be greatly appreciated.

Oh, I'm NC25 with brown eyes if thats any help!

shell12367

I am NC20, and these browns are my faves, hopes that helps:

jest, honesty, all that glitters, tempting, and amber lights

ratmist

Romp was my first brown eyeshadow from MAC. It is a frost with gold pearl and it goes on almost like a veluxe pearl (very buttery, very richly pigmented). I use it almost daily.

Brown Down is the other staple brown shadow I use. It seems to work with everything.

makeba

some brown eyeshadows i tend to reach for are saddle, antiqued and texture. hanwritten i think is a brown eyeshadow matte in texture.

SpringDancer

Amber Lights
Sable
Magnetic Fields from the Neo Sci-Fi collection is also great, if you can still get it.

ratmist

Quote:
Originally Posted by SpringDancer
Amber Lights
Sable
Magnetic Fields from the Neo Sci-Fi collection is also great, if you can still get it.

Yeah, Magnetic Fields is actually my favourite right now. It is *so* pretty.

Mizz.Yasmine

soft brown
espresso
romp
mulch
bronze
cork

i go for mattes and frosts for the best color pay-offs. n veluxe pearls for the smoothest!
smiles.gif

cocodivatime

Some browns I love are:

Saddle
Texture
A little Folie (reddish brown)
Swiss Chocolate
Soft Brown is good too

I list these because they are all basic browns with no shimmer or frost.

When i want a frosty looks i reach for other browns like everyone else has listed.

gigglegirl

another vote for romp, <3 magnetic fields, and time & space from neo sci fi. but if you want reg. line i'd check out woodwinked, bronze, tempting, mulch (of course swatch and see which ones you prefer, as some may be similar enough that you don't want them all)

Sushi.

I have brown eyes and i find that Vincent Longo's Wet Diamond eyeshadow in Tempest Bronze makes them stand out the most, its a gorgeous color, with a nice amount of shimmer, sence i bought it ive become obsessed and am wearing it everyday and planning to buy alot more from Vincent Longo. Blends really nice as well.

TDoll

If you want those colors you already have to show up more brown, you need a matte brown to work into them to make them show up more. You could use those on the lid and then use a dark matte brown like Mystery or Handwritten in the outer v or crease. Both of these browns would work nicely with the colors you mentioned. Don't be afraid of the matte colors. If you wear only frosts or colors with a sheen, it'll be too much and look too fake. You always need to work in a matte color somewhere to balance it out and add some depth. The best place to use it would be in the crease or outer v.

ratmist

Quote:
Originally Posted by TDoll
If you want those colors you already have to show up more brown, you need a matte brown to work into them to make them show up more. You could use those on the lid and then use a dark matte brown like Mystery or Handwritten in the outer v or crease. Both of these browns would work nicely with the colors you mentioned. Don't be afraid of the matte colors. If you wear only frosts or colors with a sheen, it'll be too much and look too fake. You always need to work in a matte color somewhere to balance it out and add some depth. The best place to use it would be in the crease or outer v.

Hmm, I never thought of that. I was getting annoyed with all my frosts/lustres for exactly the reason you say - it's too much and it looks fake. I'll try my mattes underneath and with them and see if I fall back in love with them.