Recs for pretty, neutral looks

visivo

Lately, I have been in complete no-makeup mode -- as in naked except for Clinique High Impact Mascara. I am finally comfortable in my own skin!

One problem. I have so much makeup, and I WANT to get back into it. But now when I apply anything more that a light wash of a neutral shadow, it feels like it's too much.

I will post a pic of myself because I would like ideas for easing back into wearing makeup and not feeling awkward about it. Like, a color that will make my brown eyes pop but will still be subtle.

I'm working on it and have even posted a couple looks lately but most of the time, I put on the makeup, then wash it off. I have a feeling I am just in a rut and need some good subtle combo ideas.

What I really need is for someone else to do my makeup and show me what looks best!
SOS.gif

Any input would be helpful. Thank you...

45148185_82f60053ff.jpg

(yeah, it's hot pink lips or nothin' at all :p )

mspixieears

Goddamn! Those hot pink lips - what IS that?!

I suggest Sumptuous Olive - warm, shimmery olive green. It's much more muted (on me) when applied without a base and I can't get its colour to show on my skin (nw20) but seeing as you're much paler than me, it should show and gently, too.

Also, with other brighter colours, you could just wear them as subtle washes? I love to do this on lazy days with pastel coloured e/s or more vibrant colours, but if you could find colours that you think will achieve the same effect on you, that would be a fab way to ease back into m/u. I tend to use my Shu Uemura e/s for this, and also MAC veluxe pearl e/s. Adds shimmer, but hint of colour too.

visivo

Quote:
Originally Posted by mspixieears
Goddamn! Those hot pink lips - what IS that?!

greengrin.gif
It's moxie! My love...
eyelove.gif

Thank you! These are great suggestions. Also, I have been meaning to get sumptuous olive and have been putting it off.

Now I want shu shadows toooo. But I shouldnt get NEW makeup when im not even wearing what i own... :\

Brelki

Have you thought about Bobbi Brown? Her nude e/s palettes are great, and she also makes some nice shimmery washes.

AllINeedIsMac

I love soba and ricepaper/bamboo. Very light, almost as if it's not even there. Also, a light lipstick like velvet teddy or even a light tinted gloss works for me. But then again, I'm a little darker than you.

mspixieears

Quote:
Originally Posted by visivo
greengrin.gif
It's moxie! My love...
eyelove.gif

Thank you! These are great suggestions. Also, I have been meaning to get sumptuous olive and have been putting it off.

Now I want shu shadows toooo. But I shouldnt get NEW makeup when im not even wearing what i own... :\

Do you have a post in the Traincase forum? If we saw even a list of what you have, then it may be easier to suggest things, rather than tempting you to buy what you don't have *wink*.

Moxie...it looks SO good on you! But it'd make my teeth look not-so white *pout*.

In case you have any of these neutrals (I suspect a few won't be so suitable but oh well), you may want to rediscover them: Sweet Tea quad, Inventive Eyes quad, Banshee, Mink Pink, Behold, Woodwinked, Moth Brown***, Plum (pro/LE Madame B), Sensualise.
Some paints, could be worn alone: Tan Ray, Bamboom, Architecture, Base Light.
Rich Ground f/l as smudged e/l, even as e/s, possibly Blitz 'n' Glitz worn same way.

visivo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brelki
Have you thought about Bobbi Brown? Her nude e/s palettes are great, and she also makes some nice shimmery washes.

thank you -- ill look into it. i do love stila for their subtle eye makeup so i will check this out too. thanks!

visivo

Quote:
Originally Posted by mspixieears
Do you have a post in the Traincase forum? If we saw even a list of what you have, then it may be easier to suggest things, rather than tempting you to buy what you don't have *wink*.

Moxie...it looks SO good on you! But it'd make my teeth look not-so white *pout*.

In case you have any of these neutrals (I suspect a few won't be so suitable but oh well), you may want to rediscover them: Sweet Tea quad, Inventive Eyes quad, Banshee, Mink Pink, Behold, Woodwinked, Moth Brown***, Plum (pro/LE Madame B), Sensualise.
Some paints, could be worn alone: Tan Ray, Bamboom, Architecture, Base Light.
Rich Ground f/l as smudged e/l, even as e/s, possibly Blitz 'n' Glitz worn same way.

i dont! i should compile one. new project
greengrin.gif
i do need a list of what i have...

moxie is really blue-based so it will probably make your teeth look whiter. ruby woo and moxie make my teeth look reallly white and orangey ones make them look yelllowww. try it!

Thank you for the recs, these are good. I have been lemming the sweet tea quad forever :\

I still need rich ground tooo and i love paints but they irritate my eyes. Im going to take your list to the mac counter veryyyy soon. thank you!!

user4

ok, so the lips look amazing and i LOVE ur glasses!!!

now colors... do you have mineralism?

when i want a really neutral look i do mineralism on the lid and cork on the crease and shrrom as highllight.

when i wanna go for a nude look i do mineralism on the lid grain or brule on the crease and shroom as highlight. always put a thin line of blacktrack on the top lashes (almost tightlined just for defintion).

for a little more color but still really light i like mineralism on the lid orange tangent on the crease and shroom as highlight.

i also love sumptuous olive for a neutral look, its so pretty... and wishful with sensualize (if you have any from the new collection)

as you can see im in love with mineralism for almost any neutral look.

also like orange tangent on the lid, sunplosion on the crease and shroom as highlight.

if you wanna go for a light smoky eye i like shroom on the lid, anti establishment on the crease (outter crease only and very lightly) and shroom as highlight.

if u go for brighter colors you may want to do lustres, the color payoff isnt a lot but i you're feeling awkward about more colorful looks you may want to transition from the neutrals to more colors using lustres.

visivo

Quote:
Originally Posted by sxychika1014
ok, so the lips look amazing and i LOVE ur glasses!!!

awww thank you for all this! great suggestions! i love them all.
smiles.gif

i used to tightline every day too cause i thought i needed it... even when i wasnt wearing anything else. but no more! i need to try all these ideas though...

and thank you everyone else tooooo !<3

kimmy

try some lilac/purple shades. they should make your brown eyes pop :] and lilacs are easy to pull off without overdoing it because you can get some really subtle shades. you might want to look at some of milani's stuff.

taffy
icy plum
sheer sand
almondine
snow frost
illusion

are all really subtle colours and they're all very easy to combine so you can ease your way back in to more complcated looks with blending and whatnot :]

major props for you for being comfortable without makeup!! i left my house the other day without makeup and i felt like such a dirtbag hahaha

enka

Wow, you look so beautyfull! You don't need make up for sure, but if you would like to play, I' recommend to test Shu Uemura. I spend one whole afternoon in the Shu Uemura shop in NYC (I send my husband to B&H Photostore ) and I have the same colouring than you. So maybe you like some suggestions.
Did you ever try Shu Uemura's e/s ME Silver ? It's something between cool brown and silver and sooo versatile. It's nice with Shroom and Moth Brown and great for office and evenings...
Shu also has a LE shimmery black&white e/s duo, I think, it's the fall look and would look very classy on you. The Shu look is completed with a cherry red lolishine (ultra sheer and glossy l/s by Shu), you should also give a try.
Another non MAC thing I habe in mind when I see your pic, is Stila's Lipglaze in Blackcherry, it's a very sophisticated cold cherry red. Stila's Lipglaze Sugar Plum is a more nude colour, but very flattering.
And some nice shimmery glow would look hot on your cheeks. Did you ever try MAC's Stereo Rose?

visivo

Quote:
Originally Posted by enka
Wow, you look so beautyfull! You don't need make up for sure, but if you would like to play, I' recommend to test Shu Uemura. I spend one whole afternoon in the Shu Uemura shop in NYC (I send my husband to B&H Photostore ) and I have the same colouring than you. So maybe you like some suggestions.
Did you ever try Shu Uemura's e/s ME Silver ? It's something between cool brown and silver and sooo versatile. It's nice with Shroom and Moth Brown and great for office and evenings...
Shu also has a LE shimmery black&white e/s duo, I think, it's the fall look and would look very classy on you. The Shu look is completed with a cherry red lolishine (ultra sheer and glossy l/s by Shu), you should also give a try.
Another non MAC thing I habe in mind when I see your pic, is Stila's Lipglaze in Blackcherry, it's a very sophisticated cold cherry red. Stila's Lipglaze Sugar Plum is a more nude colour, but very flattering.
And some nice shimmery glow would look hot on your cheeks. Did you ever try MAC's Stereo Rose?

Ooo thank you so much! I'd spend an hour in Shu and an hour in B&H haha. Mmmm makeup and photo supply.

These are great suggestions! I was actually just in the SF shu store the other day and picked up some eye creams -- the new stuff is hot but somehow seems a little sophisticated for me. This is ludicrous because I felt like this about MAC too and now look at me -- I am obsessed and owns hundred of dollars worth at best :p

I don't own any shu color stuff but I need to get that silver because i have heard such raves about it! If you have any of their stuff, esp. the new collection, you should post fotds or PM me! I'd love to see.

I am going to look into this stila stuff! I love their shadows & convertable colors, but have yet to try a lipglaze.

I wanted stereo rose! I always use a light hand but I avoided the color after I saw it on a few people that - honestly - looked like they were suffering horrendous sunburns
lol.gif

I do love shimpagne though! Im wearing it in my avatar/icon
smiles.gif

Thanks again for all the recs miss! Very helpful indeed :loveya:

bluegrassbabe

My dark brown eyes are loving sensualize at the moment. It has just enough silver shimmer to contrast with my eye color and make it really pop. Definately get one of these before they are all gone.

lovejam

My favorite neutral Stila shades are Cassia (very pale shimmery pink), and Grace (sort of a light, shimmery plummy brown).

But, I also wear Jade, which is a shimmery green, but it's not like a crazy green. It's great with my brown eyes.

MAC's Swimming is also good for brown eyes, and it doesn't look bright on me at all. It ends up looking more pastel-ish on me, especially if I wear it without a base.

I think that's really what you should do to transition into wearing color again. Wear brighter shadows without a base, because they don't show up as much then.
smiles.gif

joytheobscure

I am totally loving patina for my neutral color and I just bought ricepaper and that is just a great neutral shade too. My sister has dark brown eyes and I always use purples on her because purples look awesome on her then use a mauve or purple lipstick- or mac "O" is my favorite catchall lipstick. Looks great with everything.

The pink is great on you. Do you have pink poodle l/g?